General Sibelius/Finale/Music Software Help Thread

post music that you wrote!

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

FCHSsnare2011 Offline
chops master
chops master

Re: General Sibelius/Finale/Music Software Help Thread

Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:41 pm

Will I need to get a MIDI keyboard for the percussion sounds for Sibelius 7 with Rumble? I have used Finale 2011 with the stock RowLoff sounds and simply used the Simple Notation method of pressing enter for the respective sound I wanted, but I am assuming that Sibelius uses a different method.
Georgia State University: Snare (2012)
Fayette County High School: (2007-2011)

cobybos Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:49 pm

FCHSsnare2011 wrote:Will I need to get a MIDI keyboard for the percussion sounds for Sibelius 7 with Rumble? I have used Finale 2011 with the stock RowLoff sounds and simply used the Simple Notation method of pressing enter for the respective sound I wanted, but I am assuming that Sibelius uses a different method.
No, you won't.

Iridescent Inc. Offline
noob
noob

Re:

Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:24 pm

I just got Sibelius, and I'm just learning how to use it. MY first big question is why do the drum sounds sound electric? How do I switch this? I have SIb. 7

tommyservo7 Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Re: Re:

Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:45 pm

Iridescent Inc. wrote:I just got Sibelius, and I'm just learning how to use it. MY first big question is why do the drum sounds sound electric? How do I switch this? I have SIb. 7
The standard Sibelius percussion sounds kind of suck. You'll probably want some kind of Virtual DrumLine sounds if you want your percussion parts to sound decent. They come with Sibelius Sound Essentials or can be purchased separately for a somewhat-hefty price.
Tom

2007-2011 OBFP
2011-2012 College in Indiana

Multi-pitched timp-tom tenor-scaled membranaphone for life.

Iridescent Inc. Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:52 am

tommyservo7 wrote:
Iridescent Inc. wrote:I just got Sibelius, and I'm just learning how to use it. MY first big question is why do the drum sounds sound electric? How do I switch this? I have SIb. 7
The standard Sibelius percussion sounds kind of suck. You'll probably want some kind of Virtual DrumLine sounds if you want your percussion parts to sound decent. They come with Sibelius Sound Essentials or can be purchased separately for a somewhat-hefty price.
I have Virtual drumline. How do I implement it into Sib.?

billc36 Offline

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:04 am

Iridescent Inc. wrote:
tommyservo7 wrote:
I have Virtual drumline. How do I implement it into Sib.?
Step 1: Read the very well written help manual included with VDL.
Step 2: Purchase the VDL template from www. thewritescore.com.
Step 3: Read the very well written help manual included with the template.
Step 4: Go back to step 1, but skip step 2 the second time around.

My posts are mine and mine alone.
They do not now or in the future represent any group, person (both living and dead) that I have been, am currently, or will be in the future associated with.

BLAKE13 Offline
chops master
chops master

Re:

Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:33 pm

Ok, I saw this question on this thread but the answers that were given didn't satisfy me or resolve the problem. My issue:

I just installed Sibelius 6 (which was a crossgrade from the student version, bought this two years ago) on my new laptop. I have everything up and running including Kontakt Player and VDL 2.5 but when I go to playback something that I have written, the playback isn't consistent. As someone else described it, it's like a "hiccup" in the playback. Simply retrying doesn't fix this problem and I am not about to sit here and export the audio each time I want to hear something I just wrote. Any ideas on why the playback is choppy?

I have a new 17" Dell XPS Laptop with the sound upgrade to Maxx Audio. This is a performance laptop with a very good soundcard and the system runs great.

I'm just confused at why it's choppy on my laptop and not my desktop computer.
Capital Regiment 2009 (Bari)
Dominion Storm Indoor Drumline 2010, 11, 12 (Snare)

My opinions are MY OPINIONS. Don't get your panties in a bunch over it, we're all entitled to them.

billc36 Offline

Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:40 pm

Could be a memory issue, depends on where you're hosting the samples and how dense the score is. Laptop hard drives typically spin at 5400 rpm and desktops spin at 7200. If you're streaming the samples from the slower drive, that could account for the choppiness.

They do not now or in the future represent any group, person (both living and dead) that I have been, am currently, or will be in the future associated with.

Creekynoise Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:34 pm

This happens to me with my playback, but setting the affinity of the memory usually helps.
Try this:
Press CTRL + ALT + Delete (aka go to your Task Manager), then go to processes. Find the Sibelius 6 process, right click, and set infinity. All of them should be checked, you may have 2, 4, 8 (16 if you really went insane on a memory upgrade), checked. Uncheck them all except the first one, I think it's CPU 0.

That has helped with my playback on my laptop.
Percussionist
'04 - Present

Instructor
'11 - Present

gamertooth17 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:58 pm

Is there any possible way to write in 7/8 on Finale PrintMusic? It's possible, but the notes won't beam together... I always just write in 7/4 instead and just make it double the tempo. 7/8 and 7/4 are like one of my favorite weird time signatures. Along with 5/4, and 13/4.
John Martin - 14 y/o composer, arranger, percussionist, pianist, Batman, polyglot, middle distance runner
Western Reserve Blue Devils Marching Band
7th: Marching Bells, Tin Can, Cowbell
8th: Quads
9th: Snare
10th: Snare
OMEA Junior High Honors Band: 2011 & 2012
OMEA High School Honors Band: 2014

MPolarinakis Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:36 pm

gamertooth17 wrote:Is there any possible way to write in 7/8 on Finale PrintMusic? It's possible, but the notes won't beam together... I always just write in 7/4 instead and just make it double the tempo. 7/8 and 7/4 are like one of my favorite weird time signatures. Along with 5/4, and 13/4.

to beam notes together pres "/" on the righthand note of the pair you want to beam together.
'10 '11 '12 '13

'09 '10 '11 '13

for clarification, see related GIF

MPolarinakis Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:36 pm

MPolarinakis wrote:
gamertooth17 wrote:Is there any possible way to write in 7/8 on Finale PrintMusic? It's possible, but the notes won't beam together... I always just write in 7/4 instead and just make it double the tempo. 7/8 and 7/4 are like one of my favorite weird time signatures. Along with 5/4, and 13/4.

to beam notes together pres "/" on the righthand note of the pair you want to beam together.

i have Finale 2009. I'm assuming its the same. I had the same issue a few months ago and couldent find anything online.
'10 '11 '12 '13

'09 '10 '11 '13

gamertooth17 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:04 pm

MPolarinakis wrote:

AH my savior! haha thanks! i've been wondering for a while! you rock.
John Martin - 14 y/o composer, arranger, percussionist, pianist, Batman, polyglot, middle distance runner

MPolarinakis Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:47 pm

gamertooth17 wrote:
MPolarinakis wrote:

AH my savior! haha thanks! i've been wondering for a while! you rock.
no problem bud. I've kinda become a Finale 2009 expert over the last 2 years. if you have any other questions just shoot me a PM.
'10 '11 '12 '13

'09 '10 '11 '13

TheDrummingSquirrel Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:56 pm

I have Finale 2009 and I've always wondered how to make fivelets in the program....I haven't used it in forever. Someone help???
HHS- Codes: Bass 3
HHS- Pyramids of Egypt: Quads
HHS- La Nouba: Quads (Section Leader)
Marshall University Marching Thunder: Quads 2012
Marshall University Marching Thunder: Quads 2013 (Center)
Bryan Station Indoor Percussion- Delay: Quads 2014

awakentosleep Offline
ROAF
ROAF

Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:12 am

Tuplet tool.

FCHSsnare2011 Offline
chops master
chops master

Re:

Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:59 pm

Anyone with Sibelius 7 with Rumble know how to get the marching cymbal sounds to work (notation, layout, etc)?
Georgia State University: Snare (2012)
Fayette County High School: (2007-2011)

gamertooth17 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re:

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:25 pm

Any one have any idea how to get more than 5 bass drum sounds for Finale Printmusic? I want to write for more, but there's not really much option too. I changed the sound from percussion to a midi "synth drum" or "taiko" but both sound like absolute poo. plus,I want to keep each note in the spaces. and those intervals sound as poopy as the synth drum or taiko settings. "melodic tom" doesn't work either.

Also: I want more voices in a drum feature/solo/piece, so I want either 1 set of high-tuned quads, and 1 set of low tuned tri's, or one set of high quads, and 1 set of low quads. Along with preferably 4 to 7 bass drums. and also 4-6 cymbals? (I don't know how big a cymbal line should be. I usually only write for two.) Any suggestions? I have finale printmusic...so I'm pretty limited. I guess I might have to write it out on Printmusic but not be able to hear it right.

slashsslayer97 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:05 pm

Is there a way where I would be able to set up a rack type instrument in sibelius where everything would be assigned to a note head? It's a big pain to do instrument changes every couple of measures.
Thank You Based God

"Lil B is one of the most revolutionary artists in music,
all he has to do is walk and they follow"

-LIL B

billc36 Offline

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:45 pm

Are you using the stock Sibelius sounds? If you are, then you wouldn't be able to. You'd have to have access to the samples themselves and create an instrument that Sibelius Player would recognize and you'd have to create a map for playback/appearance.

slashsslayer97 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:04 pm

billc36 wrote:Are you using the stock Sibelius sounds? If you are, then you wouldn't be able to. You'd have to have access to the samples themselves and create an instrument that Sibelius Player would recognize and you'd have to create a map for playback/appearance.
I have the sound library if that counts.
Thank You Based God

"Lil B is one of the most revolutionary artists in music,
all he has to do is walk and they follow"

-LIL B

gamertooth17 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Also, would i be able to make my own percussion map for Printmusic?

billc36 Offline

Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:29 am

If you're using the Sibelius sounds then you're out of luck.

Gamer, I don't believe that Printmusic allows for custom mapping.

WHSnare Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re:

Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:47 pm

So after getting tired of NoteFlight, I decided to download the Finale Trial. Everything was going fine until I switched the instrument to the snare line. Upon doing this numbers enclosed in parentheses appeared above the notes (see below). How do I fix this?
Attachments
notgood.png
notgood.png (68.85 KiB) Viewed 4277 times
awakentosleep wrote:Yeah, but it was sort of like the Americas before Columbus: just a bunch of uncultured savages running around killing each other, smoking peyote, and eating dirt.
I drum sometimes, but I'm no good.

YouTube

pcs80 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:57 pm

gamertooth17 wrote:Any one have any idea how to get more than 5 bass drum sounds for Finale Printmusic? I want to write for more, but there's not really much option too. I changed the sound from percussion to a midi "synth drum" or "taiko" but both sound like absolute poo. plus,I want to keep each note in the spaces. and those intervals sound as poopy as the synth drum or taiko settings. "melodic tom" doesn't work either.

Also: I want more voices in a drum feature/solo/piece, so I want either 1 set of high-tuned quads, and 1 set of low tuned tri's, or one set of high quads, and 1 set of low quads. Along with preferably 4 to 7 bass drums. and also 4-6 cymbals? (I don't know how big a cymbal line should be. I usually only write for two.) Any suggestions? I have finale printmusic...so I'm pretty limited. I guess I might have to write it out on Printmusic but not be able to hear it right.
If you write it out and then send me the Finale score, along with what the notes should sound like, I can do it. Just use the marching percussion sounds, but put the extra bass drums, toms, etc on the accessory notes and I can remap it. It might look weird but you can always change it back after the audio. Otherwise, you're out of luck...