Noticing improvement/drum instructor?

veteran players offer advice to beginners, beginners ask questions and discuss past experiences - here you can find and post easy lessons, exercises and articles

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

coldstone21 Offline
noob
noob

Noticing improvement/drum instructor?

Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:27 am

I am currently a sophomore at my high school and am learning to play snare for our drumline which is starting next year. I am a trumpet in our marching band and I have never played percussion in a formal band setting although I do practice drumming on my own and recently I have gotten an instructor. My instructor is a general percussion instructor and I am not sure if he has enough experience to help me with marching snare. He has mentioned some experience but he hasn't ever marched DCI, which is my long term goal to make. Should I look for a new instructor or would he be good enough to start learning from? Also I am practicing daily, but I'm not noticing as much improvement as I'd like to see. I was wondering if there could be a better way to gauge my skill level? (I can't find anyone else to compare to.) I am asking this because, as I mentioned earlier, my long term goal is to eventually march in a DCI battery. I have been teaching myself snare for about a year but I really don't know if I'm improving enough to tell if DCI should be a goal of mine. Is there a good way to measure skill level on snare, and if so how can I tell if i'm improving?

VoteLobster Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re: Noticing improvement/drum instructor?

Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:58 pm

Your present instructor should be qualified to teach rudimental drumming if he has a reasonable percussion background (because I'd consider stuff like Pratt solos a standard). If you're looking to be instructed by someone else, try to get in contact with the person who teaches marching percussion at your high school and see if they have any recommendations or if you can get lessons directly from him. The biggest difference between rudimental drumming (concert snare drum) and marching percussion is in marching percussion, technique is much more specified (to make sure a 9-person snareline can all do the same thing) and you'll typically hit the drum a lot harder.

You've got plenty of time to figure out DCI stuff. If you try to get DCI-ready right away, you're going to blow past basic things that just need to be in place. What you need to do is find someone who can make sure you're moving the sticks the right way, making good sounds, and playing correct rhythms. Vocabulary and chops will come with time. In high school, which is your next step, what counts is executing simple things really well. You're playing fewer notes than a drum corps would, but it's frustrating when everybody's moving their sticks different ways, has different interpretations of rhythms, and wonders why they aren't playing exactly together.
Alex Douglass
MCDC 16, 17 PR 18

coldstone21 Offline
noob
noob

Re: Noticing improvement/drum instructor?

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:33 am

VoteLobster wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:58 pm
Your present instructor should be qualified to teach rudimental drumming if he has a reasonable percussion background (because I'd consider stuff like Pratt solos a standard). If you're looking to be instructed by someone else, try to get in contact with the person who teaches marching percussion at your high school and see if they have any recommendations or if you can get lessons directly from him. The biggest difference between rudimental drumming (concert snare drum) and marching percussion is in marching percussion, technique is much more specified (to make sure a 9-person snareline can all do the same thing) and you'll typically hit the drum a lot harder.

You've got plenty of time to figure out DCI stuff. If you try to get DCI-ready right away, you're going to blow past basic things that just need to be in place. What you need to do is find someone who can make sure you're moving the sticks the right way, making good sounds, and playing correct rhythms. Vocabulary and chops will come with time. In high school, which is your next step, what counts is executing simple things really well. You're playing fewer notes than a drum corps would, but it's frustrating when everybody's moving their sticks different ways, has different interpretations of rhythms, and wonders why they aren't playing exactly together.
Thanks so much for all the answers! This helps me a lot! If I think of any other questions that I have I might post them on a separate topic but I think I have had al my questions answered for now.