Beginning Snare, Any advice????

veteran players offer advice to beginners, beginners ask questions and discuss past experiences - here you can find and post easy lessons, exercises and articles

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

riceboyreg Offline
noob
noob

Beginning Snare, Any advice????

Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:43 pm

So I made snare for marching season and i've never done any marching percussion before(i'm a junior) but i've been taking lessons and playing drums for 2 years and I was very surprised and kinda scared that I made it in my high school's snareline. It's just been a struggle trying to stay focused and not having these "brain pauses". It's just been a complete weight on my shoulder and even for playing snare, Im considered to know the music and remember everything but it's just very tough. Im very knowledge hungry and willing to learn anything that is thrown at me but it's just difficult trying to piece everything together to make it perfect. So my big question is, how can I stay mentally strong and try accelerate in my drumming career? I wish to get better by putting the time and effort into it wnd impressing my coaches.

Zeta12ti Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Re: Beginning Snare, Any advice????

Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:49 pm

The biggest thing is practicing on your own. If you can do that for at least an hour a day, that'll be great. More is better as long as you don't burn yourself out.

MrSirEric Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Re: Beginning Snare, Any advice????

Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:25 am

*beep* of practice. That's the biggest thing that will help. Practice playing as much as possible, and when your hands get tired, read music and practice memorization. Similar to what Zeta12ti said above me, long as you're not burning yourself out, there's no such thing as too much practice.
Cedar Park High School
'15: Bass 4
'16 - '18: Snare

University of North Texas
'19: Snare

"I can't sit down long enough to absorb any kind of learning." ~Buddy Rich