Making Snare

veteran players offer advice to beginners, beginners ask questions and discuss past experiences - here you can find and post easy lessons, exercises and articles

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

Connor02oole Offline
noob
noob

Making Snare

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:11 pm

I have a question about auditions. next year at my high school I am going to audition for snare. I know that out of all the people auditioning for the 1 open spot I am the most qualified. However, the band director has already said that she wants me to play bass. I've looked at the music and it is very easy and I don't think playing bass will be very fulfilling. How can I change her mind and get on snare?

anthonydrums Offline
noob
noob

Re: Making Snare

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:54 pm

I just went through a similar process, I played bass 1 for indoor and tried out for tenors for fall season and beat 2 other people trying for 1 spot. You can't really "change" her mind but the key is to show what you are capable of. Starting with playing, basic technique and playing clean is more impressive for auditions then playing hard vocabulary like trash.Spend as much time getting down the basics as you need so when you play anything else it is better, and remember you can clean up music but technique is harder to fix after you've been practicing that way for a while. Show her that you are committed more than everyone else, stick around for practices, ask questions when you are confused, show up to practices and come on time, etc. the small things you do will make a big difference when she gives you a spot. Just keep in mind you have to earn it, not get it, and if you think you have a better shot than others, that's good, so keep working to get better and better everyday and by the time auditions come you'll be set. If you really want the spot, going the extra mile to show your qualification will be very worth it, good luck!

Connor02oole Offline
noob
noob

Re: Making Snare

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:54 pm

anthonydrums wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:54 pm
I just went through a similar process, I played bass 1 for indoor and tried out for tenors for fall season and beat 2 other people trying for 1 spot. You can't really "change" her mind but the key is to show what you are capable of. Starting with playing, basic technique and playing clean is more impressive for auditions then playing hard vocabulary like trash.Spend as much time getting down the basics as you need so when you play anything else it is better, and remember you can clean up music but technique is harder to fix after you've been practicing that way for a while. Show her that you are committed more than everyone else, stick around for practices, ask questions when you are confused, show up to practices and come on time, etc. the small things you do will make a big difference when she gives you a spot. Just keep in mind you have to earn it, not get it, and if you think you have a better shot than others, that's good, so keep working to get better and better everyday and by the time auditions come you'll be set. If you really want the spot, going the extra mile to show your qualification will be very worth it, good luck!
thanks for the advice I will make sure to do that.