Beginner Licks

veteran players offer advice to beginners, beginners ask questions and discuss past experiences - here you can find and post easy lessons, exercises and articles

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

Abby Plays Drooms Offline
noob
noob

Beginner Licks

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:22 am

Does anyone have or know of any easy and fun licks to learn for beginner/intermediate players that also help to build up your skill level? Any suggestions would be awesome.
"BUH is dead."

MrSirEric Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Re: Beginner Licks

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:52 am

It depends on if you’re looking for warm-ups or licks/cadences. Either way, I would look at some of the stuff drum corps play. Cheesy Poofs is a good warm-up that fun to play, and it has a lot of variations. For licks, look in the transcription thread/google drive library for some easier stuff. I don’t know how good you are so you can decide for yourself what is at your skill level. Don’t overestimate yourself though. Trying to play something that’s too hard can lead to bad technique.
Cedar Park High School
'15: Bass 4
'16 - '18: Snare

University of North Texas
'19: Snare

"I can't sit down long enough to absorb any kind of learning." ~Buddy Rich

Abby Plays Drooms Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:24 pm

MrSirEric wrote:It depends on if you’re looking for warm-ups or licks/cadences. Either way, I would look at some of the stuff drum corps play. Cheesy Poofs is a good warm-up that fun to play, and it has a lot of variations. For licks, look in the transcription thread/google drive library for some easier stuff. I don’t know how good you are so you can decide for yourself what is at your skill level. Don’t overestimate yourself though. Trying to play something that’s too hard can lead to bad technique.
Thanks!
"BUH is dead."

schorsquatch Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:39 am

Assuming you have not already been here:

http://www.snarescience.com/exercises.php
Without a metronome its not drumming, its just hacking.