Need Tutorial on "Singing" Drum Parts

veteran players offer advice to beginners, beginners ask questions and discuss past experiences - here you can find and post easy lessons, exercises and articles

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

SnierDrummer Offline
noob
noob

Need Tutorial on "Singing" Drum Parts

Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:21 pm

Ok my Drumline instructors and techs and all like really good drummers can sing drum parts kind of by saying it really fast and making like Tim shot noises with their mouths like the diggidut sit diggit digidigidut etc. like at 200 bpm. Does anyone have a tutorial or example or tips on learning how to do this? I have tried but always get my tounge tied. Is there any exercises I can do or how do I learn how to sing parts? Thank you

tommyservo7 Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Re: Need Tutorial on "Singing" Drum Parts

Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:38 pm

No, and this is not something you need to worry about. Being able to verbally half-communicate percussion sounds is not an essential skill for anyone to have (that's very different from having a vocabulary). There's no universal meaning to any of it, and that means that most of the time the meaning is never clear beyond some general ideas. You'd be better off saying things like "paradiddle" and "eighth note" than trying to onomatopoe-ize musical ideas.
Tom

2007-2011 OBFP
2011-2012 College in Indiana

Multi-pitched timp-tom tenor-scaled membranaphone for life.

SnierDrummer Offline
noob
noob

Re:

Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:01 am

But I think it is really cool and like how can I learn to do it I can't find a tutorial ANYWHERE

VoteLobster Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:56 pm

It's all learned. Like, you can't teach it. Over time I've just been able to go "digga-digga-digga" really really fast because I said it all the time. So just keep going "digga-digga-digga."

You can say any rhythm with some mix of "diggas" and "duts." I like flams as "chut" and buzzes as "dzz" and shots as "gak."
Alex Douglass
MCDC 16, 17 PR 18

schorsquatch Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:05 pm

Beat box it. What wind players call double and triple tonguing goes a long way. I still just say "bzzzz" for any rolls. "Bi-gi-da-bi-gi-da" for sixtuplets. Chut for flams, ka for rimshots. Just make is sound cool in your head because is sure as hell won't sound cool to anyone else.
Without a metronome its not drumming, its just hacking.

bigdaddyflamtap Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Sun May 22, 2016 6:59 pm

This won't help you a bit - but one year my college line t shirt was the entire drum feature written out in "drummer ese" it was awesome.
Band Director since '97
High School "drum guy" since '93

My motivational message before the show "Don't Suck"