Practicing flam rudiments?

veteran players offer advice to beginners, beginners ask questions and discuss past experiences - here you can find and post easy lessons, exercises and articles

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

Samadiddle2112 Offline
noob
noob

Practicing flam rudiments?

Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:52 pm

I just marched my first season on my high school snare line. given that I started out on kit, I never really learned how to play a flam properly. Ive been really interested in them though. For a few weeks ive just been playing alternating flams super slow and ive just got a couple questions. I really dont want to end up practicing bad habits.
-is the grace note supposed to lift AT ALL before it hits? like even a little (at faster tempos too)?. Im finding it hard to drop them straight down (especially when i try doing more than one flam on the same hand) but if thats how they are meant to played ill keep practicing them that way, I just want to make sure im not being overly picky.
- should the grace notes be at one inch or 3 inches, or somewhere in-between?
-How tight should they generally be? and should i practice them at different levels of tightness or is that unnecessary
-should i go ahead and start working on flam rudiments at a slow tempo (Flam accents, flam taps, flam drags, cheeses) or would it be better to wait until i have a more solid grip on flams?

Any input is greatly appreciated!!!!

Onaddo Offline
noob
noob

Re: Practicing flam rudiments?

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:14 pm

The way I was taught was the grace note should be stroking from the same height that you hold the sticks while not playing. So 1-2 inches off of the drum. Obviously the stick will move a little bit when you go to do a flam, but ideally it should just go from "default" height to the drum head and then right back to "default".

The grace note hand should hit slightly before the stoking hand. Think about trying to hit both sticks at the same time, due to the difference in stick height, at least for me, the grace note ends up hitting right before the stroke. The space between the hits should be less than a 32nd note, but not at the same time exactly. I would recommend listening to videos of flam exercises to check if your sound is the same.

When I was learning to speed up my flams, the only rudiment I did was flam taps. This worked for me and let me get even reps with left and right flams. You can do whatever you want, but I would stay away from complicated flam patterns at first. Something you could experiment with would be making flam patterns with triplets. Doing grids with flams, accents, and diddles can be a nice way to up the difficulty.

Oh and of course there is the obligatory

Snare Playa Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:34 am

Great advice
Hey you, reading this; if you currently don't have a Snarescience account, please feel free to make one and join the conversation. It's free and only takes a minute!

HS
'14: Bass 3
'15: Snare

'18 Carolina Crown Hopeful

VoteLobster Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:15 pm

Samadiddle2112 wrote: -is the grace note supposed to lift AT ALL before it hits? like even a little (at faster tempos too)?. Im finding it hard to drop them straight down (especially when i try doing more than one flam on the same hand) but if thats how they are meant to played ill keep practicing them that way, I just want to make sure im not being overly picky.
- should the grace notes be at one inch or 3 inches, or somewhere in-between?
-How tight should they generally be? and should i practice them at different levels of tightness or is that unnecessary
-should i go ahead and start working on flam rudiments at a slow tempo (Flam accents, flam taps, flam drags, cheeses) or would it be better to wait until i have a more solid grip on flams?
1. Not forced to lift, but it really depends on context and who's teaching you. Like, it's impractical if you're playing a busy flam accept/tap passage to drop the flams down to set position from 3" (or whatever the inner beat height is). But generally, you won't want to lift the grace note.

2. Context (see #1). Sometimes if you're playing alternating flam-flams, it's okay to bring the grace note up to make them flow better. Again, it depends on who's teaching you; in solo playing, it's how it sounds that's important, and if you can achieve that with whatever heights, then hey. It works.

3. This is one of those things you want to play with (especially in a concert snare drum situation). Stylistically you may play some stuff more open and some stuff more closed. I've been playing the French-American Tompkins solos and I like to open up the flams a good bit on those because the feel is really relaxed. In an American rudimental setting, they're usually pretty tight. Plus practicing them open, tight, & flat will give you more control if you need to adapt to a group you're playing with.

4. Working on more flam rudiments (flam accent and flam tap especially) can help flams "click" for you. It took a while before I could just toss them in, because it's a small change of sticking that is a little bit of a mental game. Practice them alone, making sure you're getting a real flam (with distinct heights and sound) then practice rudiments.
Alex Douglass
MCDC 16, 17 PR 18

Samadiddle2112 Offline
noob
noob

Re:

Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:51 pm

thanks so much for the advice!

bigdaddyflamtap Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Sun May 22, 2016 7:07 pm

Practice them while your sticks are on 2 different surfaces - it really helps you to hear exactly what each hand is doing. Also has the bonus of hearing/understanding the individual hand rhythms when you play more intricate flam patterns.
Band Director since '97
High School "drum guy" since '93

My motivational message before the show "Don't Suck"

Spirit Snare 80 Offline
chops master
chops master

Re:

Posted: Sun May 29, 2016 8:51 am

"Chot not Plot" was Tom Float's saying when I marched in Atlanta. This a good and simple
rule to follow. Keep everything tight. Flams should never distort the underlying or base
rhythm. Flams serve to embellish. Nothing more, nothing less. And don't overthink everything. Isolating the hands can help as was stated in a earlier post. Get to where you can play simple flam accents well and build from there. And whatever you do- RELAX!!

Tension is the enemy of all musicians.
Husband, Dad, Music Educator, Drummer