Overwhelmed

veteran players offer advice to beginners, beginners ask questions and discuss past experiences - here you can find and post easy lessons, exercises and articles

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

RetroComet Offline
noob
noob

Overwhelmed

Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:08 pm

I recently became interested in marching tenors, and began practicing. I made it onto my schools winter line, but am not so sure about what I should be focusing on improving. A problem I'm having is, although I have my zones/scrapes down for the most part, I still take a long time piecing together rhythms and music. Are there any specific exercises or advice that could make my playing feel more fluid, and less choppy? Thanks you!

schorsquatch Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re: Overwhelmed

Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:39 am

If you are interested in tenors, then I would definitely recommend investing in a tenor method book. There are many concepts there that you can practice.

In terms of piecing together rhythms and music, you can build those skills via sight-reading. For a more in-depth treatment, pick a piece of music and challenge yourself to learn it within a set time frame (say, a week).

As you get better, you will start to learn that it is very difficult to feel more "fluid" and less "choppy" because you become more critical of you own playing, and you will constantly discover more nuances to master. So I would concentrate on really knowing and understanding your basic patterns and rudiments (get "fluid" with them), and get familiar with your own learning style. Once you have that down, you can start to learn new music by identifying the parts and passages that you already know OR you can interpret them as something familiar.
Without a metronome its not drumming, its just hacking.

The_Drumline_Life Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:14 pm

it is very difficult to just jump in and put together rhythms and music- no single exercise will do that for you. I recommend learning the rudiments then gridding them (moving accents throughout, adding diddles, moving diddles around, moving diddles with a constant accent then move the accent and keep moving the diddle, do the same with flams) it is extremely tedious but very much worth it.
Image Mayonaisse is indeed an instrument

Anything I post represents, my, and only my personal beliefs, and does not speak for any group, or business, I am affiliated with, may be affiliated with in the future, or have been affiliated with in the past.

TrentKranz Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Wed May 11, 2016 8:57 am

The_Drumline_Life wrote:it is very difficult to just jump in and put together rhythms and music- no single exercise will do that for you. I recommend learning the rudiments then gridding them (moving accents throughout, adding diddles, moving diddles around, moving diddles with a constant accent then move the accent and keep moving the diddle, do the same with flams) it is extremely tedious but very much worth it.
so true^^^ hit up the GRID GENERATOR and/or PracticePad

bigdaddyflamtap Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Sun May 22, 2016 6:44 pm

Something you might want to consider is HOW you're reading music. For me when I look at something like 1e&a e&a 3- I don't see the notes as much as I see the sticking RLRL LRLR

Also google rhythm sheets/ turn on met / start reading (don't skip "easy" ones, you'd be amazed how much working on simple things improves complicated things)
Band Director since '97
High School "drum guy" since '93

My motivational message before the show "Don't Suck"