help?

veteran players offer advice to beginners, beginners ask questions and discuss past experiences - here you can find and post easy lessons, exercises and articles

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

wesleykg00 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

help?

Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:57 pm

This isn't urgent but I would like some advice/help. i look at some of the music on here and i cant read some of the ratios and in general on how to read some it like 2015 bluecoats closer. and i cant really ask a director at my school because they will be like LEARN YOUR MUSIC and I GO AHH and go practice my 4's . so it would help me if you could help me be able to read DCI music because they don't teach that at school

LordHighEmu Offline
noob
noob

Re:

Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:00 pm

What specifically do you need help with?

wesleykg00 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Re: help?

Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:08 pm

just trying to get the ratios and how to count some of it
CMK Bass 3 (2015)

schorsquatch Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:35 am

Ok, this is a good conversation, and it does come up frequently. Let me try a different tack.

Knowing how to count is an absolutely vital skill. 16th notes and triplets should be automatic. Kind of like tying your shoes. Interpreting sheet music without being about to count basic subdivisions is kind of like trying to interpret a painting if you are blind. Specific interpretations of the different tuplet types are all over these forums, so just do a search. In general X:Y means “play X notes in the space of Y notes”. Your standard 8th note triplet is technically a 3:2 tuplet… i.e., I’m going to “play 3 notes in the space occupied by 2”.

But let’s back up a little bit. Think about the steps involved in you playing music. First, the composer imagines a beat, or comes up with something super-awesome that SOUNDS totally balls. Then the composer has to go through the mechanics of converting that idea into notes on a page. Then you pick up those notes on the page, and try to convert it back into a sound.

The problem is that, if you can’t get a good idea of what the overall beat is, then you get bogged down in the technical aspects of counting. So instead of looking at a piece of music, and identifying tuplets for what they are (part of beat, maybe to perform an accel or deccel, or to help the hands flow into the groove), all you see is “how to I count a 5:4 let un-i-ver-si-ty initiating on the ‘a’ of beat 3?” You think that sucks? Put yourself in the place of the composer, who is thinking “this is the smoothest transition ever, but nobody is ever going to play it because it looks so weird when I try to shoe-horn it into this time signature”

The point of all this, is your time is much better spent trying to get an interpretation of what the composer is trying to accomplish, by looking at the whole phrase. Identify the accents, the stops and starts, and then the groove will start to appear. You don’t necessarily have to know how to count an odd tuplet, but you do need to know how it fits relative to the other notes, and you have to know how to count that macro beat so you know when to attack and release.

Wow… I hope this helps. Good luck!
Without a metronome its not drumming, its just hacking.

wesleykg00 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:04 pm

okay thanks for the tack ;)
CMK Bass 3 (2015)