Bassist writing percussion ensemble piece, help me

veteran players offer advice to beginners, beginners ask questions and discuss past experiences - here you can find and post easy lessons, exercises and articles

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

RonaldPoe Offline
noob
noob

Bassist writing percussion ensemble piece, help me

Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:39 pm

Hi, I'm Ronald Poe and I'm a musician. I play guitar, bass, and write electronic music (I use a mixture of Musescore, FL Studio, and Audacity). I also love video games (especially Kingdom Hearts, Shin Magami Tensei/Persona, Pokemon, and Metal Gear) and am into anime. My electronic music has a strange style of its own.

I don't play drums myself but am looking for tips to writing better drum parts for my music. As an exercise, I'm going to write a percussion ensemble piece in FL Studio. Anyone got any tips on making snares and kicks more realistic (in writing, not samples). I'm trying for a mysterious yet playful Trance feel.

Also are there better places to ask this (I thought there'd be lots of drummers here).

Purpleparatroopa Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Re:

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:56 am

Try coming up with patterns to keep time with, and see what sounds good. What is the time signature?

RonaldPoe Offline
noob
noob

Re: Bassist writing percussion ensemble piece, help me

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:15 pm

Usually 4/4 and in C Major. Why aren't there guides for composing drumlines?

8Keep Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Re:

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:46 pm

Writing drumline music just kind of comes from experience in playing drumline music. There is no guide and wont ever be because theres so much variation between different composers styles. Watch some lot videos and follow along with a transcription if there is one available.
As for writing interesting parts with a drum corps writing style in a trance song... I dont know how well that would work out, isnt trance more just really basic boom kick kind of stuff? Or are you looking to immitate deadmou5 kind of rhythms?

RonaldPoe Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:35 pm

What I'm asking for is the basics of drumlines/percussion ensemble writing (you know basics that I could understand and apply). I know different artists have unique styles and are hard to compare. My general style is compared to Trance but I never go for the " basic boom kick kind of stuff". I've got a unique electronic music style that's hard to describe. I'm mainly trying something new.

Here's a recent piece I made.
https://soundcloud.com/dark-ronald-poe/ ... -the-storm

LordHighEmu Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:12 pm

What kind of ensemble is it? Are you using keyboard instruments and more orchestral drums (think the big concert bass drum, timpani, etc.), a drum set player, or marching percussion (snares, tenors, bass drums)?

RonaldPoe Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:53 am

I mostly use Kick, snare, Tom-Toms, and hi-hat but I could incorporate other things like timpani, bongos, bells, ect. Anyway I 'd like to know the basics of percussion ensembles.