I have this habit on my right hand! Need help removing habit

veteran players offer advice to beginners, beginners ask questions and discuss past experiences - here you can find and post easy lessons, exercises and articles

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

Hobbit1812 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

I have this habit on my right hand! Need help removing habit

Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:35 am

So I looked closely at my hight usually I leave my right hand alone cause I would focus on my left but I looked at my right hand and saw my thumb wasn't aligned with the stick and I totally flipped cause I lracticed hard and didn't even notice that now I feels weird when I hold the stick with the thumb aligned with the stick. The reason why I flipped is because I practiced with a bad habit and now I feel it's going to take a awhile to fix it and Im practicing hard for auditions :/
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (82.01 KiB) Viewed 4629 times

SolidSnake1162 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Re: I have this habit on my right hand! Need help removing h

Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:13 am

You just gotta make the effort to be conscience of what your thumb is doing/where it is while you're playing. Tuck it back and get rid of the "monster mouth", and really try to feel the thumb on the side of the stick. You have to ultimately back stuff down in tempo, work it slowly while maintaining the placement of your thumb.
Kaitou wrote:TAKE ME TO DIDDLEVILLE LEE CLARY

Hobbit1812 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:21 pm

SolidSnake1162 wrote:You just gotta make the effort to be conscience of what your thumb is doing/where it is while you're playing. Tuck it back and get rid of the "monster mouth", and really try to feel the thumb on the side of the stick. You have to ultimately back stuff down in tempo, work it slowly while maintaining the placement of your thumb.

Dang :/ yeah I tried playing with the thumb on the stick and it just felt weird (well yeah it's going to be weird at first) but I'm upset that I practiced wrong the whole time and now I'm back where I started. I Want to perfect texhnique so I can make snare for indoor and DCI I don't want to be stuck playing an instrument that I don't want to play(but if I have to will cause I love music and percussion haha) but yeah I just want to improve and I feel like this is a set back should I really be worried?? I have 4. Years until I age out I want to age out in Vanguard or the Academy, well in a world corps group.

SolidSnake1162 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:45 pm

You can make A TON of progress in four years, man. But there's more to look at with technique than just the thumb issue. Different corps use different techniques for drumlines. You gotta watch and observe how they drum, most importantly. Make sure you're going where you like how they drum. If you audition somewhere where they use a lot of arm, and you use a lot of wrist, you're gonna have a bad time. The thumb issue isn't that big of a deal. It is in terms of "hey your right hand looks great." But less in terms of, "ah, your thumb on your right hand. Sorry man, you're cut." If that makes sense? It was the same for me when I first spaced out my pointer finger from my middle finger on my right hand, it felt incredibly weird and uncomfortable. Now, it feels like it was always natural.

Hobbit1812 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Re:

Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:36 pm

I just feel that I need to fix my thumb to make my technqiue better, I'm just kinda frustratied cause band camp is this Friday and I don't feel like I improved over the summer and these bandmates are going to be judgmental. They already don't like me because its a long story but yeah I just want to prove them that I can be a great musician

SolidSnake1162 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:34 pm

Then just keep working hard and doing whatever you can to not only make yourself better, but the group as a whole better. Don't get so caught up in that stuff or the thumb thing, man. Your heart is in the right place, and that's awesome. Just do what you can.

8Keep Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Re:

Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:50 am

I have the same problem! Ive been working on it for a while now. I hope to audition somewhere this year too. My instructor told me its a semi common problem that a couple of his other students have.

schorsquatch Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:04 pm

I hate seeing the hand open like this. Usually I shoot rubber bands at the opening, or I just run right up in the middle of the rep and try to stick a finger in there. Socially awkward, but it makes the point.

What is happening is the pressure point where your thumb grips the stick is starting to slide under the stick, and you are losing your fulcrum. At that point, you have to do 1 of 2 things to play... you have to grip with the back fingers, which results in an arm-swinging-hammer type of motion, or you will simply support the stick with the thumb and forefinger in an "OKAY!" gesture, with no control. Both situations are weak and sloppy. You don't want weak and sloppy.

To fix... that needs to be done by re-establishing the fulcrum. Do this test... snap your fingers, and watch your thumb. Feel it out. You apply more and more pressure until the friction is overcome and the thumb slides in one direction (super fast, so it makes a noise). If you are a normal human being then you will snap your fingers the same way every time, and the thumb will either go "over" or "under" the finger you are snapping against.

Now grip the drumstick, and imagine that you are going to snap your thumb on the drumstick. Are you in a position that the snap will go "over" or "under" the stick. If it goes over, then that is a good position. If not, then you need to adjust, and re-run that test as you are playing.

Ultimately, it will almost feel as if the thumb is a little on top of the stick. This is a good position, because it has nowhere to go, and now not only is thumb forming a fulcrum, it is also helping apply pressure to the downward stroke (which will give you more power and control).

I hope this helps... good luck!
Without a metronome its not drumming, its just hacking.