I'm having trouble with Ninelets

veteran players offer advice to beginners, beginners ask questions and discuss past experiences - here you can find and post easy lessons, exercises and articles

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

Quadislife Offline
noob
noob

I'm having trouble with Ninelets

Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:19 am

So I'm in the drumline, I play tenors. I have a lot of ninelets in my song and the stick is RLLRLLRLLRLLRLLRLL. The 2 ninelets are put together. So I've been counting and counting but when i finish my ninelets, I always end on count 4 even with the next downbeat. (The measure is 4/4) Doesn't this mean 1 ninelet is 2 counts? Am I playing too fast? The tempo is 140.

Help would be great. Thanks.

ohmycheese Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Re:

Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:01 pm

Play a full measure of quarter note triplets all on the right hand then add in the left hand fiddles evenly in between the right hands.
Hawaii
DCI 2014

Quadislife Offline
noob
noob

Re:

Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:31 pm

holy crap, i never realized that there's such a way. thanks!!!!

Flam Tap Zydeco Offline
noob
noob

Re:

Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:59 pm

Yeah, it is just a triplet placed on each quarter note in a quarter note triplet. Quarter note triplets should be subdivided in 1/8 note triplets anyway to help prevent rushing or dragging. You want to be spot on so don't get too excited they are coming. Sit on (wait on) them a little. They are slower than sixtuplets.

Try this a few times:
1. Play a string of 8th note triplets.
2. Count them 2X's through 123456 123456
3. The next 2 times identify the quarter note triplet and lock into 1 3 5 1 3 5 on the right hand. You don't have to accent them or pulsate them. Just emphasize them by counting in your head. 1 3 5 is your new metronome over the top of your "mark time."
4. Add a triplet to your check pattern on each of 1, 3, and 5. I alternate the way I count the triplets from 1 3 5 "ghosting" notes on the other two beats to counting each one "bug-a-duh bug-a-duh bug-a-duh."
5. Play single strokes.
6. Add new sticking or accents any way you like. Have fun.

I like to add two paradiddles with one note on the end. Rlrr Lrll R | Lrll Rlrr L | OUT.