What's the difference between double stroke and diddle roll

veteran players offer advice to beginners, beginners ask questions and discuss past experiences - here you can find and post easy lessons, exercises and articles

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

Hobbit1812 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

What's the difference between double stroke and diddle roll

Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:30 pm

I'm really confused of the two, are they the same?

skywalker77799 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Re:

Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:54 pm

From what I've seen and played, I'm pretty sure that it really just depends on how it's written and how fast it's played. If it's at lets say 90 BPM and gives you a diddle note, you obviously cannot use fingers to control such a slow diddle. And if it gives you a double stroke at 200 BPM, you're most likely going to use fingers and make it a "diddle."
So overall I believe there's no difference, it's all about the speed.

But hey I could be completely wrong, that's just my look at it. If anyone else can correct me, please do so.

Flam Tap Zydeco Offline
noob
noob

Re: What's the difference between double stroke and diddle r

Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:43 am

Well, hello again, Hobbit. You're on roll day--kinda like leg day. Haha. Oh, Ouch! Don't let me fool you. I love cinnamon roll days. I might hit some Krispy Kreme Donuts if they are open this late. Okay, seriously now.

I don't see any point in trying to make a distinction. People may use different terminology in different regions. They may be referring to different notations or a specific type or name for an exercise. A double stroke IS a diddle regardless of speed or whether you stroke it all out or use fingers to bounce it. Now, "diddle roll" may be a term to be distinguished from "single stroke roll". You may have confused "duple" roll?

Diddle marks are a form of short hand. Anything written with a diddle mark cuts the note in half and replaces it with two smaller, equal notes. 1/16 = 1/32 + 1/32. Two rights RR = diddle. Two lefts LL = diddle. If the notes' values are not equal, as you often find in double beat exercises, the space between the first and second notes defines how wide or open the diddle is.

RRLLRRLLRRLLRRLL...= open roll, long roll, or double stroke roll made up of...? Yep, diddles.

That's all there is to know really. I don't know of any alternate meaning, unless diddle roll means "open roll." Otherwise, I am guessing at nothing. I have never heard the term used down south.

Flam Tap Zydeco Offline
noob
noob

Re: Re:

Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:47 am

skywalker77799 wrote:From what I've seen and played, I'm pretty sure that it really just depends on how it's written and how fast it's played. If it's at lets say 90 BPM and gives you a diddle note, you obviously cannot use fingers to control such a slow diddle. And if it gives you a double stroke at 200 BPM, you're most likely going to use fingers and make it a "diddle."
So overall I believe there's no difference, it's all about the speed.

But hey I could be completely wrong, that's just my look at it. If anyone else can correct me, please do so.

Not correcting you above, Skywalker. This is really a goose chase, I think. It certainly isn't on any rudiment list I have ever seen. If you are from Cali and I am from the gulf states, one of us would have run across it by now.

XDdrummer Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:46 pm

They should definitely sound the same. Depending on your instructor / group / personal preference, technique between the two may be different. The way I learned it, a double stroke roll is more 'stroked out' - you try to muscle out every note. Diddle rolls have a sort of 'push-pull' technique to get faster speeds with less energy used.

TL;DR - In my opinion, double stroke rolls just use more energy than diddle rolls.

Isaiah.Lamb Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:47 pm

Double stroke: One arm motion, two wrist motions
Diddle: One arm motion, one wrist motion

That's the simple explanation

schorsquatch Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:34 pm

I'm lost. I've never heard of a difference between a diddle roll and double stroke roll.

Technique for rolls exist on a spectrum of tempo. But I'm afraid the distinction is lost on me after that. I'm don't think I've seen notation where players are asked specifically to diddle roll vs. double stroke roll. Can someone post an example?
Without a metronome its not drumming, its just hacking.