Thoughts on how to improve

veteran players offer advice to beginners, beginners ask questions and discuss past experiences - here you can find and post easy lessons, exercises and articles

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

cope397 Offline
noob
noob

Thoughts on how to improve

Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:37 pm

I recently purchased got a somewhat recent audition packet from a DCI world class level corps. I've been practicing rudimental drumming for about 2 years now and am in the high school marching band indoor, drumline ect. I've been practicing hard since i began practicing really, and I think I'd like to attend a audition for a open class corps when i'm a bit older and work my way up to the closest world class corps, which for me is the Cadets. Would it be a good idea to begin practicing the aforementioned audition packet, along with stick control and the standard rudiments in order to bring my drumming up to a "higher level?" If not, I'm very open so suggestions on more efficient/ reasonable methods of bringing my drumming to the next level.

billc36 Offline

Re: Thoughts on how to improve

Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:34 pm

It depends on how good you are with the basics. If you still struggle with 8's, bucks, double beat, etc, then stay away from the corps level stuff. You can't run until you can walk.

My posts are mine and mine alone.
They do not now or in the future represent any group, person (both living and dead) that I have been, am currently, or will be in the future associated with.