Advice?

veteran players offer advice to beginners, beginners ask questions and discuss past experiences - here you can find and post easy lessons, exercises and articles

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

Winxclub3309 Offline
noob
noob

Advice?

Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:19 am

I'm a freshman starting out as tenors and I'm a bit worried. I'm a 5'2" female and have been drumming for only 7 months. This week is my band camp week but my drum carrier is still too low for me. Half of my belly plate is on my hips and it's pretty hard for me to march. I don't mind the weight of the drums but my carrier is killing me. Also any advice to keep in mind for the season is greatly appreciated. (Technique or other helpful advice) thank you!

Spirit Snare 80 Offline
chops master
chops master

Re: Advice?

Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:17 am

Perhaps your band director or a "band dad" with tool skills could alter the carrier somewhat to help
with your problem. You could add extra padding around the edges of the plate to help with comfort, but ultimately it sounds like the carrier will need a structural alteration.

Sounds like your line is young if you are a freshman playing tenors with only 7 months of experience, so my guess is that you will not be playing scrapes or crossovers any time soon.
Focus on the basics of proper playing. Basic motions using 8's would be a good starting point.
Keep the drum changes simple. I have found that published music can be awkward, so feel free to alter your part to fit your present abilities. (under the guidance of your director or percussion instructor if you have one.)
Husband, Dad, Music Educator, Drummer

billc36 Offline

Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:25 am

What brand of carrier is it? It's possible that it hasn't been adjusted in every way possible to make it more comfortable.

My posts are mine and mine alone.
They do not now or in the future represent any group, person (both living and dead) that I have been, am currently, or will be in the future associated with.

Winxclub3309 Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:39 am

It's a Yamaha carrier. When My drum instructor adjusted te first time he told me that he pushed the belly plate as high as the carrier will allow him but it's still too low for me. Are ther other ways to make the belly plate higher or making the carrier smaller? It really gets in the way of my marching and it gives me a lot of back and hip pains

tchristoffersen Offline
noob
noob

Re:

Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:07 am

If the belly plate is the usual design that I'm thinking of, try flipping it upside down so that the narrower "top" part is on the bottom. It may be narrow enough to fit between your hip bones and give you better range of motion. If that doesn't help, power tools will be required...

billc36 Offline

Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:42 pm

You can also adjust which holes the hardware for the plate is in to raise it up or down.

You can roll the shoulder part back more the raise the whole thing.

If it's the hinge carrier, you can flip the middle hinge up to gain an extra inch.

My posts are mine and mine alone.
They do not now or in the future represent any group, person (both living and dead) that I have been, am currently, or will be in the future associated with.

Winxclub3309 Offline
noob
noob

Re:

Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:42 pm

This is pretty much how my drum carrier looks like. I've talked to my instructor and we tried again to raise the belt plate higher but the plate won't budge. I've also talked with a veteran who've also played tenors. He's 5'6" and he told me he had similar troubles. I'm kind of wondering if I could roll up towels/tshirts and put them on my shoulders to get the plate higher about half an inch or so. Any thoughts?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (34.3 KiB) Viewed 4413 times