How do i better my technique? What should i do?

veteran players offer advice to beginners, beginners ask questions and discuss past experiences - here you can find and post easy lessons, exercises and articles

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

Hobbit1812 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

How do i better my technique? What should i do?

Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:48 am

I need help with my Technique and chops, not sure where i Am at right now. I attached a video of me playing an exercise I know i need loads of help. Please help me out. what should i do about my technique and other stuff? My goal is to make Academy, Vanguard Cadets or Impulse for next season. Thanks!!

TheKingofNone Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re: How do i better my technique? What should i do?

Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:03 am

Aight.
A- USE A MET. All the time, no matter what. I'd go into the many, many reasons why you should, but I'm lazy and it's really late so yeah. Just trust me. Hopefully someone else less lazy will explain.
B- transitioning between hands was an issue, there was definitely hesitation and inconsistency between the 8ths. Honestly, while it was worse in the transitions, there was a general lack of consistent time that would be helped with a met.
C- ya need to play with more force and velocity. Your volume was inconsistent, most notable in the sixteens. Generally, your right hand was louder than the left. Work on playing through the drum, as if there was a second head 3 inches below the real one and you were hitting that. Power and confidence will help not only sound quality but with tempo control as well.
D- really, use a met. There may be other things covered up by the dramatic fluctuation, especially in hand transitions and the 16th notes.

Look, you watch drum videos, right? Corps, and soloists, maybe some Ralph Nader. Those are some of the most useful tools you have. Play in front of a mirror, video yourself and watch it back- you can tell it's very different than what you see from corps. The best way to get better is to emulate the best. So, do some exercises, watch yourself on tape, USE A MET, and observe mistakes in yourself. Because when you can't find mistakes, that's when instructors can really dig into the fundamental problems and you can truly improve.
You cant just 'hit' a drum; you have to beat the s*** out of it. ~Eric Cartman

GSUS '15

I'm that guy who says he'll try out for drum corps next year and never does.
But I'm totally gonna try to march Alliance this summer.

schorsquatch Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re: How do i better my technique? What should i do?

Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:31 am

All of the above.

Met or a music track. Anything to keep your tempo honest.

For item C above... Try playing those babies with double-stops so you can compare right and left hand strokes/heights/velocities.

Basic technique is not bad tho. Keep reppin'
Without a metronome its not drumming, its just hacking.