Will this help me build my chops??

veteran players offer advice to beginners, beginners ask questions and discuss past experiences - here you can find and post easy lessons, exercises and articles

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

Hobbit1812 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Will this help me build my chops??

Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:14 am

I play cymbals for impulse and I want to try out for snare next year. I'm going to try out for Golden Empire, Pacific Crest, and Vanguard. Even though I'm not that experienced I want to do these audtions to get tips from other members and the staff to get better. I'm 17 and will be turning 18 in two days. I want to make my dream corps Vanguard. Even though I'm noob I don't have muh time so I'm going to practice hard!!! With my marching, playing technique and reading music

I need to focus on my chops before learning rudiments especially because my left hand drags

I mark time starting fine but once I start playing I come off step

Reading music comes really difficult to me what can I do??

I need help!!!

I attached the chop builder one of my buddies on impulse made for me.

thanks!!!!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (138.68 KiB) Viewed 4584 times

The_Drumline_Life Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Re: Will this help me build my chops??

Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:26 pm

any basic exercise where you are focusing on finger and hand muscles and technique will build your chops as long as you start slow and increase it and repeatedly play cleanly. I would avoid exercises focusing on diddles like double beat for chops because that relies on rebound a lot of the time. Anyways, there are a lot of variations of eights that work on double stops and hand to hand chops along with basic chops, I am sure you can judge how well the exercises your friend chose work by the burn and the incorporation of diddles to work chops along with a grid feel in general. I hope this helps and you can make sense of what I said! :)
Image Mayonaisse is indeed an instrument

Anything I post represents, my, and only my personal beliefs, and does not speak for any group, or business, I am affiliated with, may be affiliated with in the future, or have been affiliated with in the past.