Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

Hertaz Offline
chops master
chops master

Re: What are you listening to at this exact moment

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:13 am

hotbeats645 wrote:
Hertaz wrote:
Also, I can't tell if you were down talking autotune or not (can't really tell through text) but so many artists use autotune/melodyne that it's not even funny. It's not really an issue unless you're literally pitch correcting every note because you can't sing in tune. Other than that, they're human bro. There's no way they could single every note they've ever sang in tune every single time. It would blow a lot of minds if there were a list made of artists who used some sort of pitch correction at some point in their career at any length. That list would be huuuuuuuuge.

oh no, how could people POSSIBLY have sung well before the invention of auto-tune? Ella. Sinatra. Aretha. Ray. Any hundreds of more. The list goes on. You can go to a club in any city and see a talented vocalist sing their butt off without technology aiding them.

I'm all for adding digital effects to music, but the people who "sing" on the radio, and really just auto-tune every damn thing aren't musicians, they're entertainers

You neglect the fact that if those artists were being produced today, they would definitely be using some sort of pitch correction to some end. Believe it or not, Sinatra has been known to go flat sometimes.
PSU Quads 2012-

PSUid Drumset 2013

For the glory.
LilPurpQuads wrote:I mean NOW at the beginning of the season they're dirty, but when it gets closer to mid and finals... They somehow happen to be good?

hotbeats645 Offline
Jeff Queen
Jeff Queen

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:19 am

Hertaz wrote:
hotbeats645 wrote:
Hertaz wrote:
Also, I can't tell if you were down talking autotune or not (can't really tell through text) but so many artists use autotune/melodyne that it's not even funny. It's not really an issue unless you're literally pitch correcting every note because you can't sing in tune. Other than that, they're human bro. There's no way they could single every note they've ever sang in tune every single time. It would blow a lot of minds if there were a list made of artists who used some sort of pitch correction at some point in their career at any length. That list would be huuuuuuuuge.

oh no, how could people POSSIBLY have sung well before the invention of auto-tune? Ella. Sinatra. Aretha. Ray. Any hundreds of more. The list goes on. You can go to a club in any city and see a talented vocalist sing their butt off without technology aiding them.

I'm all for adding digital effects to music, but the people who "sing" on the radio, and really just auto-tune every damn thing aren't musicians, they're entertainers

You neglect the fact that if those artists were being produced today, they would definitely be using some sort of pitch correction to some end. Believe it or not, Sinatra has been known to go flat sometimes.
it's possible, not definite they might have corrected some pitches on recordings. Ray Charles produced all of his stuff so i sincerely doubt he would have. but live? never. thats what makes it, and them, so good.
I play and teach music (sometimes even band music!)

I work in music tech and licensing.

Music is an art and positive energy.

hotbeats645 Offline
Jeff Queen
Jeff Queen

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:21 am

not to mention that all those old, uncorrected albums sound hundreds of times better than the majority of music that uses excessive amounts of auto-tune. like Drake. come on. that's like saying Elvin Jones would have used a drum machine if he was still living. he was, after all, know to play a little behind the beat

Hertaz Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:15 pm

I think we're on the same page but still arguing... I agree with you that excessive amounts of pitch correction is bad, because that means you simply can't sing in tune. And nobody uses pitch correction live because it's not something that can be done in real time (unless you're referring to the T-Payne super robotic autotune sound, which is now considered more of an effect rather than pitch correction).

However, it IS definite that they would use pitch correction at some length (unless, as I mentioned earlier, they produced themself on a pseudo-indie scale). Not because they would suck without it, but of course we always look for perfection and as I said, nobody is perfect. Melodyne helps for those few and far between moments when people hit a note out of tune.

I'm curious if you know the difference between autotune and melodyne... what's commonly referred to as autotune is something that takes the whole recording and 'snaps' each frequency to the closest pitch in the selected scale, created the perfect (and unnatural) sine wave... that's what makes the T-payne effect (if cranked to the max) or the slightly robotic Rebecca Black. Melodyne takes much more time, the sound engineer surveys the entire recording and looks for moments where the voice is noticeably out of tune, then they correct individual pitches by multiplying them by a ratio, keeping the contour of the wave form, but effectively changing the perceived pitch. Note that this is done on only individual pitches that need corrected.

And I don't think your Elvin Jones comment is relevant, Vocalists can't sing dozens of takes at one time because it would kill their voice, and it's not economically viable to try and record the same piece day after day until perfection is met. Drummers can pretty much do as many takes as they need, playing with a click track to stop them from getting off the beat. Not to mention the human voice is so much more complex than percussion, vowels and pressure from dynamics change the pitch in minute ways that sometimes go overlooked 'in the heat of the moment' during recording. I would definitely say it is a million times easier for a drummer to line up with the beat than it is for a vocalist to sing certain pitches with certain vowels at certain dynamics in tune 100% of the time so they didn't use pitch correction.

TL;DR pitch correction isn't bad 97% of the time and is used to get a more perfect sound.
PSU Quads 2012-

PSUid Drumset 2013

For the glory.
LilPurpQuads wrote:I mean NOW at the beginning of the season they're dirty, but when it gets closer to mid and finals... They somehow happen to be good?

hotbeats645 Offline
Jeff Queen
Jeff Queen

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:43 pm

we're on the same page, i was just up at 3am AND LOOKIN' FOR A FIGHT! :)

Hertaz Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:44 pm

I understand :)
PSU Quads 2012-

PSUid Drumset 2013

For the glory.

VoteLobster Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:32 pm

The Lying Lies and Dirty Secrets of Miss Erica Court.

That's a mouthful.
Alex Douglass
MCDC 16, 17 PR 18

TA67 Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Re:

Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:49 pm

One of the most beautiful metal albums ever, and in my opinion a beautiful album in general.

JLbluefan09 Offline
snarescience addict
snarescience addict

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:52 pm

Die Antwoord.

Killer beats.
Gateway Indoor
'12 rack
'13 synth

Music City Drum Corps
'12 synth
pearltenors wrote:IM 13 OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ajcf1995 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Re:

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:27 pm

lesterroyer wrote: This comes second to setting my instructors truck on fire. I hated that guy.
jbohan6 wrote:Gotta play with some sack.
Mt. Vernon Highschool
"On Display"-Alto Sax 2010
"Defend The Shield"-Tenors 2012
"Heroes"-Tenors 2012-13 indoor

jbohan6 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:33 pm

Probabbbblyyy my favorite song currently.

I love music from like, 2000-2007 so much more than what current 'alternative' groups are putting out. There's so much folk-pop crap out there that all sounds the same. What happened to punk pop and real emo?

I don't even know what i'm talking about.
"Binaries on the Tymp-Toms gettin' kinda' cloudy."

gamertooth17 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re:

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:45 pm

1974 Santa Clara Vanguard!

I swear, Fred Sanford is an arranging god.
John Martin - 14 y/o composer, arranger, percussionist, pianist, Batman, polyglot, middle distance runner
Western Reserve Blue Devils Marching Band
7th: Marching Bells, Tin Can, Cowbell
8th: Quads
9th: Snare
10th: Snare
OMEA Junior High Honors Band: 2011 & 2012
OMEA High School Honors Band: 2014

Kaitou Offline

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:48 pm

Nothing like a night of completely obliterating all of your roommates at a video game
TA67 wrote:She walked over to me and said "I formally request that you turn my body into a playground of lust and wonder, o burly man." To which I agreed. I laid her down on the desk, and well...we both got As for the entire semester as a result.
ImageImage

jbohan6 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:16 pm

The album Old pride by Pianos become the teeth is so good.

gamertooth17 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:35 pm

John Martin - 14 y/o composer, arranger, percussionist, pianist, Batman, polyglot, middle distance runner

VoteLobster Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:41 pm

I listened to the Bluecoats 2011 show like three times through tonight. Why? No clue. It's interesting. I could actually pick out Drew Guy dutting. From a recording. That's a pretty sharp audio system, eh?
Alex Douglass
MCDC 16, 17 PR 18

red devils Offline
chops master
chops master

Re:

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:50 am

This is my hype song for the season. I usually hate rap, but this man kills it and does it without talking about drugs/sex. I *beep* love this guy.
I play the multi diddle platform. Or Quads for short.
ottomagne wrote:Don't think, just drum.

DeerManOfTheWoods Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:15 pm

Jordan Bible. Middle Tennessee State University Percussion Studio. Music Education.
jordanbiblepercussion.weebly.com

TA67 Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Re:

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:45 pm

If you've never heard of Mahavishnu Orchestra, then educate yourself for your own good.

VoteLobster Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:11 pm

This song/music video is deep if you watch and analyze it like 6 times
Alex Douglass
MCDC 16, 17 PR 18

WHSnare Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re:

Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:14 am

awakentosleep wrote:Yeah, but it was sort of like the Americas before Columbus: just a bunch of uncultured savages running around killing each other, smoking peyote, and eating dirt.
I drum sometimes, but I'm no good.

YouTube

dgaking Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re: Re:

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:51 pm

red devils wrote:This is my hype song for the season. I usually hate rap, but this man kills it and does it without talking about drugs/sex. I *beep* love this guy.
Macklemore does rap about drugs, but he tells the truth about them:

His music is so real. He also has some ridiculous fun stuff like "Thrift Shop." I bought the deluxe edition of the "Heist" album and it is definitely on my short list of favorite rap albums.

jbohan6 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:08 pm

WHSnare wrote:

Joyce manor. Awesome.

gamertooth17 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:04 pm

If I ever learn to sing, I want to learn scat.

ajcf1995 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:58 pm

dgaking wrote:
red devils wrote:This is my hype song for the season. I usually hate rap, but this man kills it and does it without talking about drugs/sex. I *beep* love this guy.
Macklemore does rap about drugs, but he tells the truth about them:

His music is so real. He also has some ridiculous fun stuff like "Thrift Shop." I bought the deluxe edition of the "Heist" album and it is definitely on my short list of favorite rap albums.
Hey Doug, I think you'd like Immortal Technique's rapping then.
lesterroyer wrote: This comes second to setting my instructors truck on fire. I hated that guy.
jbohan6 wrote:Gotta play with some sack.
Mt. Vernon Highschool
"On Display"-Alto Sax 2010
"Defend The Shield"-Tenors 2012
"Heroes"-Tenors 2012-13 indoor