Coffee

discuss everything else here

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

VoteLobster Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Coffee

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:47 am

Is anybody here into manual coffee brewing? Like, not auto-drip or Keurig?

I've been working with a V60 lately with some locally roasted beans. Fun stuff. If I had $2000 to throw out, I might buy some fancy espresso grinder and a machine, but you know. A pour over is nice. I really want to try Turkish though.

I like french press for the ease of it, no technique required, but there's too much body and just not enough flavor clarity. The V60 filters are a nice medium between metal strainers and thick filters like a Chemex.

V60
Alex Douglass
MCDC 16, 17 PR 18

Spirit Snare 80 Offline
chops master
chops master

Re:

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:24 am

I stopped drinking coffee this year after a 26 year habit. Haven't looked back. No addiction anymore.
Don't need it to function. I can drive long distances without getting off at several exits for caffeine.
No more loads of sugar and coffee mate for me. Substituted water. Don't plan to return. I can say
that my entire body ached for a solid week. Not just a headache. A full body ache. That right there
tells me I was addicted. So there you have it.
Husband, Dad, Music Educator, Drummer

TheOkayGatsby Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Re:

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:00 am

That is really cool, I've always told myself I don't want to get addicted to any substance like where I depend on it but I see myself slowly using coffee more now that I have so much to do. I'm trying not to become fully dependant on it, not that coffee is bad for us or anything because black coffee is actually healthy for you but I just don't want to ever depend on any substance to operate, get what I'm saying?
Dig past the surface of life and you'll live fuller.

Forza East Independent (PIO) 2014- Cymbals

TheKingofNone Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re: Coffee

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:25 am

I've had a cup of coffee every morning (pretty much) for over a year now and haven't looked back. I use a keurig, but if there was any way i could have an espresso/cappuccino machine I would be soooooo happy :D
You cant just 'hit' a drum; you have to beat the s*** out of it. ~Eric Cartman

GSUS '15

I'm that guy who says he'll try out for drum corps next year and never does.
But I'm totally gonna try to march Alliance this summer.

VoteLobster Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:29 pm

Yeah... I've been drinking coffee every day for several months now. I decided to go out on a limb and not have it one morning; that day sucked. A constant headache, and I never felt awake. I felt asleep for the entire day. That tells me that I've developed a bit of a dependence on it... I need to get off of it if I want to march corps because that's going to be a problem. I don't load it up with sugar, cream, milk or anything. None of that milkshake crap you get from Starbucks.

Oh well. I enjoy it now. I've got what... like, six months? Yeah.
Alex Douglass
MCDC 16, 17 PR 18

Nathan Aaron Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:47 pm

VoteLobster wrote:Yeah... I've been drinking coffee every day for several months now. I decided to go out on a limb and not have it one morning; that day sucked. A constant headache, and I never felt awake. I felt asleep for the entire day. That tells me that I've developed a bit of a dependence on it... I need to get off of it if I want to march corps because that's going to be a problem. I don't load it up with sugar, cream, milk or anything. None of that milkshake crap you get from Starbucks.

oh gosh......what a crippling realization I just reached....
'11-'14 Fall Snare
'13 Winter Snare
'14 Winter -Tacet
Spirit Snare 80 wrote:Moral of the story, if you want others to enjoy and play your creations, write them so normal people can play them.
http://nathanaaronphotography.wordpress.com/

VoteLobster Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:12 pm

Nathan Aaron wrote:
VoteLobster wrote:Yeah... I've been drinking coffee every day for several months now. I decided to go out on a limb and not have it one morning; that day sucked. A constant headache, and I never felt awake. I felt asleep for the entire day. That tells me that I've developed a bit of a dependence on it... I need to get off of it if I want to march corps because that's going to be a problem. I don't load it up with sugar, cream, milk or anything. None of that milkshake crap you get from Starbucks.

Yeah man, we're screwed.
Alex Douglass
MCDC 16, 17 PR 18

Nathan Aaron Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:49 pm

VoteLobster wrote:
Nathan Aaron wrote:

Yeah man, we're screwed.
Please tell me they have caffeine patches, because this
Spirit Snare 80 wrote:I can say that my entire body ached for a solid week
really scares me.
'11-'14 Fall Snare
'13 Winter Snare
'14 Winter -Tacet
Spirit Snare 80 wrote:Moral of the story, if you want others to enjoy and play your creations, write them so normal people can play them.

hurt-a Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:07 pm

The dehydrating effects of caffeine is why you can't/shouldn't drink pop or coffee on tour. So a caffeine patch would be no better
Legends DBC Front Ensemble
2013- Aux
2014- Vibraphone
2015- Marimba
Spirit Snare 80 wrote:Cowbell- "WHACK-WHACK-WHACK-WHACK"......Spaaaalat. "Cut!" Do it again!

Nathan Aaron Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:36 am

Ahh. I know coffee doesn't have the greatest effects on your body, but I didn't realize it was mostly the caffeine. :oops:
'11-'14 Fall Snare
'13 Winter Snare
'14 Winter -Tacet

TheKingofNone Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:20 am

Coffee is a vegetable. It's good for you :D w/o creamer and excessive sugar.

GSUS '15

Spirit Snare 80 Offline
chops master
chops master

Re:

Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:25 pm

How can anyone drink black coffee. NASTY!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

billc36 Offline

Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:59 pm

Eat an apple, twice as much caffeine as a cup of coffee and 100% all natural.

My posts are mine and mine alone.
They do not now or in the future represent any group, person (both living and dead) that I have been, am currently, or will be in the future associated with.

TheKingofNone Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:00 pm

billc36 wrote:Eat an apple, twice as much caffeine as a cup of coffee and 100% all natural.
I eat one pretty much every day. No wonder I never sleep lol. And coffee is natural, as long as you use actual coffee and not like the mocha latte crap for kuerig.

GSUS '15

Nathan Aaron Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:26 pm

TheKingofNone wrote:Coffee is a vegetable. It's good for you.
Well so are lima beans but you still have to cook them to make them edible haha.
Never use the word 'natural' in excuse of something. Poison ivy, e.coli, and bears all happen to be just as natural as a cucumber.

And no, I don't just drink coffee because I'm addicted to it, nor do I think it's super healthy (or super unhealthy). I really enjoy it and it's something to look forward to in the morning. If I wanted to eat something healthy in the morning I'd eat something naturally fibrous (granola, gran, etc.), which I do, just not as regularly as coffee.
'11-'14 Fall Snare
'13 Winter Snare
'14 Winter -Tacet

Rolly Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:30 pm

I drink three cups of black coffee every morning and enjoy it. I have a good pad practice while slurping on my coffee and a great dump each morning as well thanks to the mild laxative effect it has. I am not worried about being "addicted" to caffeine because I really don't care. There are far worse addictions in life.

Spirit Snare 80 Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:56 pm

FROM LIVESTRONG.COM:

How Much Caffiene Is in an Apple?
Apples are a good source of many nutrients. For example, a typical small apple has 12 percent of your daily recommended intake of fiber, 10 percent of your daily recommended intake of vitamin C, and trace amounts of minerals such as calcium, potassium, and manganese. However, apples do not contain any caffeine.

The Origin of the Question
Googling "apples caffeine coffee" turns up several pages of links to sites where people have asked the question "Does an apple contain more caffeine than coffee?" The misconception seems to stem from the fact that apples have sugar in them -- an average small apple has about 13 g of it -- and that people are equating the energy boost they get from a cup of coffee with the energy boost they presumably get from eating an apple.

snarescience Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:38 am

hurt-a wrote:The dehydrating effects of caffeine is why you can't/shouldn't drink pop or coffee on tour. So a caffeine patch would be no better
http://beverageinstitute.org/us/expert/ ... h-to-rest/
Dr. Grandjean: A critique of the published controlled research shows that consuming caffeinated beverages during physical performance does not increase urine output or detrimentally affect performance. In fact, when water is consumed during the rehydration phase, a greater loss of electrolytes appears to occur than does with caffeinated beverages. Moreover, in my experience working with professional and Olympic athletes, asking them to change their drinking habits by eliminating caffeinated beverages can lead to inadequate fluid consumption. They just won't drink as much. In some cases, this can increase their risk of dehydration.  - See more at: http://beverageinstitute.org/us/expert/ ... omFtu.dpuf
I am training for three ultramarathons this year. I have found that many of the endurance sports nutrition products include caffeine as an ingredient.
Ryan Wold
MBI Snare '98-'99,'01-'02,'05-'06,'10
MBI Snare Tech '04

Scouts Snare '00
Siamyth Snare Tech '08
MN Vikings "Skol Line" '09

Nathan Aaron Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:06 am

That's it. I'm smuggling in my Bunn.
'11-'14 Fall Snare
'13 Winter Snare
'14 Winter -Tacet

hurt-a Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:03 am

snarescience wrote:
hurt-a wrote:The dehydrating effects of caffeine is why you can't/shouldn't drink pop or coffee on tour. So a caffeine patch would be no better
Dr. Grandjean: A critique of the published controlled research shows that consuming caffeinated beverages during physical performance does not increase urine output or detrimentally affect performance. In fact, when water is consumed during the rehydration phase, a greater loss of electrolytes appears to occur than does with caffeinated beverages. Moreover, in my experience working with professional and Olympic athletes, asking them to change their drinking habits by eliminating caffeinated beverages can lead to inadequate fluid consumption. They just won't drink as much. In some cases, this can increase their risk of dehydration.  - See more at: http://beverageinstitute.org/us/expert/ ... omFtu.dpuf
I am training for three ultramarathons this year. I have found that many of the endurance sports nutrition products include caffeine as an ingredient.
Then what's the reason for no pop/coffe/tea on tour? Sugar?
Legends DBC Front Ensemble
2013- Aux
2014- Vibraphone
2015- Marimba
Spirit Snare 80 wrote:Cowbell- "WHACK-WHACK-WHACK-WHACK"......Spaaaalat. "Cut!" Do it again!

snarescience Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:16 am

hurt-a wrote:
snarescience wrote:
Then what's the reason for no pop/coffe/tea on tour? Sugar?
misinformation? idk.

I've been mixing this stuff (see pic) in my hydration pack for my long weekend runs and it works pretty awesome. Energy levels stay pretty high and even-keeled throughout a workout.

Drum corps should consider hydration packs for rehearsals. You could pretty much eliminate all water breaks and people would be more hydrated / higher energy levels / better mental focus than without. :)

Sorry this is pretty off topic from the OP.

I like coffee. I own a mid-tier espresso machine although I don't use it very often. It is pretty awesome at steaming milk and produces a decent espresso shot. The only downside is that it is really labor intensive.
Attachments
tailwind.jpg
tailwind.jpg (66.15 KiB) Viewed 4231 times
Ryan Wold
MBI Snare '98-'99,'01-'02,'05-'06,'10
MBI Snare Tech '04

Scouts Snare '00
Siamyth Snare Tech '08
MN Vikings "Skol Line" '09

Jason Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:17 pm

I have very well-informed parents when it comes to food. The sugar in apples gives you a carb high, also known as a sugar rush, but it's bad for touring because at the end of a high always comes a low and you feel, as well as perform, like crap when you have a carb based diet. Caffeine does not harm you really besides its addictiveness(provided you don't consume it close to the time you go to sleep.) the reason a lot of people say caffeine is bad for you is because the bad effects that they think caffeine gives them are actually from the 40g of sugar giving you a high and a low in sodas, etc.
¸,¤°ˆˆ°¤,¸..............¸,¤°ˆˆ°¤,¸..Jå$øn..¸,¤°ˆˆ°¤,¸...............¸,¤°ˆˆ°¤,..
...............ˆ°¤,¸¸,¤°ˆ.............D®µm G33K............ˆ°¤,¸¸,¤°ˆ..............

'12-'13 MHS Alto Sax "Latin Heat"
'13-'14 MHS Flute "Riverdance"
'14-'15 MHS Marimba "Styx"
'15-'16 MHS Snare "Hard Rock"
billc36 wrote:My posts are mine and mine alone.
They do not now or in the future represent any group, person (both living and dead) that I have been, am currently, or will be in the future associated with.

Spirit Snare 80 Offline
chops master
chops master

Re:

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:23 pm

Caffeine addiction is just that, an addiction. I kicked coffee this past summer after drinking several cups a day for
27 years straight. I finally decided to kick the habit. I had pains from the top of my head to the tips of my toes. Not
just a headache like some would tell you. It literally took 7 full days until I was totally through the withdrawal symptoms.
I know everyone reacts differently, but for me it was painful. I haven't touched a cup since then and don't plan to. The
mounds of sugar and coffee mate are no longer part of my diet. I can drive long distances without having to get off at
several exits to find coffee. I get up in the morning and can function without it. I substituted water for the coffee and
I'm better off for it.

TheOkayGatsby Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:00 am

Nathan Aaron wrote: Never use the word 'natural' in excuse of something. Poison ivy, e.coli, and bears all happen to be just as natural as a cucumber.
Well when it comes to the stuff you're putting into your body to fuel you living I think we can gauge the goodness of it based on how processed it is or not.
Dig past the surface of life and you'll live fuller.

Forza East Independent (PIO) 2014- Cymbals

Nathan Aaron Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:31 am

TheOkayGatsby wrote:
Nathan Aaron wrote: Never use the word 'natural' in excuse of something. Poison ivy, e.coli, and bears all happen to be just as natural as a cucumber.
Well when it comes to the stuff you're putting into your body to fuel you living I think we can gauge the goodness of it based on how processed it is or not.
Very true
'11-'14 Fall Snare
'13 Winter Snare
'14 Winter -Tacet