DRUMLINE 2: tv movie on VH1

discuss everything else here

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

ayeyomaggots Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

DRUMLINE 2: tv movie on VH1

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:49 pm

Lee clary wrote:Zelda is just a godly game and i love it play it every day i still have a N64 and a gamecube im hardcore for it.

Nathan Aaron Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Re: DRUMLINE 2: tv movie on VH1

Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:37 am

I can't take the hype.
'11-'14 Fall Snare
'13 Winter Snare
'14 Winter -Tacet
Spirit Snare 80 wrote:Moral of the story, if you want others to enjoy and play your creations, write them so normal people can play them.
http://nathanaaronphotography.wordpress.com/

Mateo Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:08 pm

i heard they were doing a Drumline 2 movie

Spirit Snare 80 Offline
chops master
chops master

Re:

Posted: Wed May 07, 2014 8:18 pm

Word on the street is Mariah Carey (Nick's wife) will make a cameo appearance playing cymbals.
Husband, Dad, Music Educator, Drummer

TheOkayGatsby Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Re: Re:

Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:15 am

Spirit Snare 80 wrote:Word on the street is Mariah Carey (Nick's wife) will make a cameo appearance playing cymbals.
That is a disgrace to cymbal players everywhere
Dig past the surface of life and you'll live fuller.

Forza East Independent (PIO) 2014- Cymbals

drummeraaron Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:43 am

TheOkayGatsby wrote:
Spirit Snare 80 wrote:Word on the street is Mariah Carey (Nick's wife) will make a cameo appearance playing cymbals.
bro its a movie chill...should be pretty good like the first one
Legends 2013-Auxiliary Percussion
"A captain doesn't have to be loud. In fact if everyone does their job, there should be no reason to have to be loud." -spartey
"'Thank goodness they FINALLY made those snare drums a little bit lighter!'" - quad players" -awakentosleep
OAS AAS LLS Alpha Theta Spring '14

Jason Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:34 pm

another 1.5hrs of stereotypes of drummers =D
¸,¤°ˆˆ°¤,¸..............¸,¤°ˆˆ°¤,¸..Jå$øn..¸,¤°ˆˆ°¤,¸...............¸,¤°ˆˆ°¤,..
...............ˆ°¤,¸¸,¤°ˆ.............D®µm G33K............ˆ°¤,¸¸,¤°ˆ..............

'12-'13 MHS Alto Sax "Latin Heat"
'13-'14 MHS Flute "Riverdance"
'14-'15 MHS Marimba "Styx"
'15-'16 MHS Snare "Hard Rock"
billc36 wrote:My posts are mine and mine alone.
They do not now or in the future represent any group, person (both living and dead) that I have been, am currently, or will be in the future associated with.

Lee clary Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:55 pm

There is actually real drumming...they held auditions for parts on playing ability, some of my friends made the cut and will be in it. Also if you're not in a traditional style marching band or respect it you shouldn't watch it if you're just gonna bash the style and peoples long hours of hard work.
Famu Fall 17' 🤞🏼🐍🐍

hurt-a Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:30 pm

drummeraaron wrote:
TheOkayGatsby wrote:
bro its a movie chill...should be pretty good like the first one
Really? Drumming aside, I thought the first one was just a bad movie. It was corny all around
Legends DBC Front Ensemble
2013- Aux
2014- Vibraphone
2015- Marimba
Spirit Snare 80 wrote:Cowbell- "WHACK-WHACK-WHACK-WHACK"......Spaaaalat. "Cut!" Do it again!

zJavier Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:32 pm

I heard Ralph Nader auditioned for a snare spot.
I'm that guy in the back that the teacher keeps asking to stop drumming on the desks.

Gold Drum Corps '15
Blue Devils B '16

drummeraaron Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:12 pm

[/quote]
Really? Drumming aside, I thought the first one was just a bad movie. It was corny all around[/quote]
Plot wise it was pretty decent in my opinion
"A captain doesn't have to be loud. In fact if everyone does their job, there should be no reason to have to be loud." -spartey
"'Thank goodness they FINALLY made those snare drums a little bit lighter!'" - quad players" -awakentosleep

VoteLobster Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:00 pm

Drumline 1 was a good movie. As a movie. Not a recording of world class drumlines in the lot.
Alex Douglass
MCDC 16, 17 PR 18

jplovesthequads Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:42 pm

ayyyyy can't wait!
PPCHS-Bass/Quads/Snare '10-'13
MGAMB- Snare '12
FSU Big 8- Quads '14-15

Mustcontrolchops Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:05 am

Lee clary wrote:There is actually real drumming...they held auditions for parts on playing ability, some of my friends made the cut and will be in it. Also if you're not in a traditional style marching band or respect it you shouldn't watch it if you're just gonna bash the style and peoples long hours of hard work.
I don't see how you call "traditional" a bunch of flashy stick tricks and dirty beats. It's not too hard to gather up people and make noise, horrible noise at that. Marching band takes hard work by marching the show in step the whole time, while thinking about technique and total syncopation within the line to be 100% clean. That's tons harder than "traditional".
RHS '11-'12 Pit "Phobias"
RHS '12-'13 Snare "Rain"
RHS '13-'14 Snare "Rampage"
RHS '14-'15 Snare "The Walking RED!"
TAMUK '15-'16 Snare "The Music of Selena"

drummeraaron Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:12 pm

Mustcontrolchops wrote:
Lee clary wrote:There is actually real drumming...they held auditions for parts on playing ability, some of my friends made the cut and will be in it. Also if you're not in a traditional style marching band or respect it you shouldn't watch it if you're just gonna bash the style and peoples long hours of hard work.
I don't see how you call "traditional" a bunch of flashy stick tricks and dirty beats. It's not too hard to gather up people and make noise, horrible noise at that. Marching band takes hard work by marching the show in step the whole time, while thinking about technique and total syncopation within the line to be 100% clean. That's tons harder than "traditional".
Flashy is traditionally what HBCU bands are like. Just because its different than what you do doesn't mean it sucks and they all suck and should be ashamed of themselves. It's a movie that shows a different type of band than what most white people are used.

Lee clary Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:02 pm

Mustcontrolchops wrote:
It's called traditional because of the High step marching style of knees at a 90 degree angle and above. Like I have said before there are clean hbcu's, not DCI clean but cleaner than most PWI colleges most here watch. If you have never even marched the style you shouldn't say it's easy, I came from a corps style background, then my high school went traditional style....it is actually harder than what you think. Traditional style marching is much harder and demanding than corps style marching, always keeping your legs up while keeping your diaphragm still. You shouldn't bash something untill you actually do it yourself.
Famu Fall 17' 🤞🏼🐍🐍

Mustcontrolchops Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:47 am

Lee clary wrote:Traditional style marching is much harder and demanding than corps style marching, always keeping your legs up while keeping your diaphragm still.
Corps style marching is much harder and takes a lot more effort and hard work to execute perfectly than "traditional" style. You have to keep your core strong and straight forward in the direction you're facing whether you'd be going forward, back, crabbing left, right, or diagonal while evenly placing your weight on your feet while playing perfectly, and I mean perfectly syncopated visually and musically(heights and clean beats), unlike "traditional" which seems to care about what looks cool and what shapes you can make with your sticks, and not caring how tasteless your book is and how much dirt is involved. Heights and clean beats aren't a factor in "traditional" style. It's do or die in corps, and do and let die in "traditional".
RHS '12-'13 Snare "Rain"

hurt-a Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:14 am

Mustcontrolchops wrote:
Lee clary wrote:Traditional style marching is much harder and demanding than corps style marching, always keeping your legs up while keeping your diaphragm still.
Corps style marching is much harder and takes a lot more effort and hard work to execute perfectly than "traditional" style. You have to keep your core strong and straight forward in the direction you're facing whether you'd be going forward, back, crabbing left, right, or diagonal while evenly placing your weight on your feet while playing perfectly, and I mean perfectly syncopated visually and musically(heights and clean beats), unlike "traditional" which seems to care about what looks cool and what shapes you can make with your sticks, and not caring how tasteless your book is and how much dirt is involved. Heights and clean beats aren't a factor in "traditional" style. It's do or die in corps, and do and let die in "traditional".
1. You're using the word syncopation wrong
2. Until you've done it, you shouldn't be trying to tell someone what's involved with either DCI or traditional.
Legends DBC Front Ensemble
2013- Aux
2014- Vibraphone
2015- Marimba
Spirit Snare 80 wrote:Cowbell- "WHACK-WHACK-WHACK-WHACK"......Spaaaalat. "Cut!" Do it again!

billc36 Offline

Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:00 pm

Mustcontrolchops wrote:
The amount of wrong in this is staggering.

My posts are mine and mine alone.
They do not now or in the future represent any group, person (both living and dead) that I have been, am currently, or will be in the future associated with.

Mustcontrolchops Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:30 pm

I don't understand how other than my misuse of syncopation.
RHS '12-'13 Snare "Rain"

LilBuerck Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:39 pm

Mustcontrolchops wrote:I don't understand how other than my misuse of syncopation.
Even though they do not portray the same type of discipline as is presented in a corps style band, traditional drumlines can be every bit as talented. Any person who makes it onto Coldsteel is in my book a very talented drummer. Different=/= inferior. Do not for a second think otherwise

billc36 Offline

Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:59 pm

Have you ever marched for an HBCU style band? Have you ever watched the rehearse? Have you ever watched their training program. Heck, have you ever seen them perform other than in the movie Drumline?

I'm not a fan of the style, but I see the entertainment value in it. Think about pro football drumlines. They aren't about the precision, they're about getting people off their butts and dancing. They are about entertainment. HBCU bands aren't as focused on uniform technique as they are on entertainment and getting people pumped up.

Watch the body demands that are placed on members and tell me that it's easier than corps style drumming.

My posts are mine and mine alone.

Lee clary Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:26 pm

billc36 wrote:Have you ever marched for an HBCU style band? Have you ever watched the rehearse? Have you ever watched their training program. Heck, have you ever seen them perform other than in the movie Drumline?

I'm not a fan of the style, but I see the entertainment value in it. Think about pro football drumlines. They aren't about the precision, they're about getting people off their butts and dancing. They are about entertainment. HBCU bands aren't as focused on uniform technique as they are on entertainment and getting people pumped up.

Watch the body demands that are placed on members and tell me that it's easier than corps style drumming.
*Applauds*
Famu Fall 17' 🤞🏼🐍🐍

Lee clary Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:29 pm

Mustcontrolchops wrote:

So yeah....
Famu Fall 17' 🤞🏼🐍🐍

Mustcontrolchops Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:10 pm

I'm just tired of people that don't know anything about drumming coming up to our drumline and wanting us to play stuff like in drumline and that style, and to jump around and be as loud and obnoxious as we can be on a drum. I kinda take that as an insult, because I know and our drumline knows we work too hard to get told that type of stuff.
RHS '12-'13 Snare "Rain"