Good Headphones

discuss everything else here

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

Pad Hands Offline
noob
noob

Good Headphones

Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:14 pm

I am looking for some good headphones to get. Preferably under $200. I have heard Beats are good, but also some from Sony. Thank you!
All-west TN Jr. High Honor Band 09-10 Gold Band
All-west TN Sr. High Honor Band 10-11 Blue Band
All-west TN Sr. High Wind Ensemble 11-12
All-west TN Sr. High Honor Band 12-13 Blue Band
UTM Honor Band 11-12
UTM Honor Band 12-13
UTM Honor Percussion Ensemble 11-12
UTM Honor Percussion Ensemble 12-13
Performed with the Dallas Brass
Music City Drum Corps - 2011 Rack

Bassnare Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re: Good Headphones

Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:58 pm

Audiophiles will tell you that Beats (or any celebrity-endorsed headphone) are terribly overpriced and mediocre. I don't know much about the Sony headphones. The most recommended headphone on Amazon is the Audio Technica ATH-M50s (which are on sale right now for ~$100), so that would be a solid option. If you don't mind spending a little more, I've heard good things about the SoundMagic HP100s and the AKG k550s. If you want a boosted bass sound, the V-moda Crossfade LP2s or the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pros are for you. If you don't care about other people hearing your music (open), I've heard that the Sennheiser HD 598s are great.

dlinebass5 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re:

Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:45 pm

Skullcandy in-ear headphones. $20. Done.

gamertooth17 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:58 pm

i have a pair of 10 buck Sony. pretty sweet for the price
John Martin - 14 y/o composer, arranger, percussionist, pianist, Batman, polyglot, middle distance runner
Western Reserve Blue Devils Marching Band
7th: Marching Bells, Tin Can, Cowbell
8th: Quads
9th: Snare
10th: Snare
OMEA Junior High Honors Band: 2011 & 2012
OMEA High School Honors Band: 2014

huffjef000 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:30 am

I use Sennheiser HD202's. They aren't very expensive at all and they sound fantastic. On the down side, after about an hour of wearing them, your ears get a little sore. I definitely recommend them.
Antaeus wrote:No one cares if you can play hi moms or 3 way back sticking or buzz book reports at 170bpm when you tick legatos.

Jason Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Re: Re:

Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:37 am

dlinebass5 wrote:Skullcandy in-ear headphones. $20. Done.
^^^^^ mine were 40$ but im a classy guy
¸,¤°ˆˆ°¤,¸..............¸,¤°ˆˆ°¤,¸..Jå$øn..¸,¤°ˆˆ°¤,¸...............¸,¤°ˆˆ°¤,..
...............ˆ°¤,¸¸,¤°ˆ.............D®µm G33K............ˆ°¤,¸¸,¤°ˆ..............

'12-'13 MHS Alto Sax "Latin Heat"
'13-'14 MHS Flute "Riverdance"
'14-'15 MHS Marimba "Styx"
'15-'16 MHS Snare "Hard Rock"
billc36 wrote:My posts are mine and mine alone.
They do not now or in the future represent any group, person (both living and dead) that I have been, am currently, or will be in the future associated with.

c_maher12 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:54 am

What are your purposes going to be for the headphones? Dependent upon what your use is could drastically change what you want for the cost. With that being said; I would say the best quality general use headphones under $200 would be the Sennheiser HD 280 PRO. For about $100; you get a high-quality headphone that can be used for multi-purpose recording and listening.

Colin Maher

billc36 Offline

Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:56 am

I am currently using the Shure SRH440 for studio work and couldn't be happier with them.

My posts are mine and mine alone.
They do not now or in the future represent any group, person (both living and dead) that I have been, am currently, or will be in the future associated with.

Cubee Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:47 am

Over ear or in ear?

For over ear, I got a pair of sennheiser HD 558s recently and I absolutely love them. Very clear sound and a huge sound stage. Bass isn't necessarily weak, but it doesn't really thump if that what you're looking for. They're not very portable though; 3/4" connector is the default, meaning you'll need an adapter to hook it up to a smartphone, which can get pretty clunky. They're also open-backed, which means that a good deal of the sound you're listening to will leak out. This is great for listening at home because you're more enveloped by the sound than you would be with closed-back cans, but not so good when you're on the go and don't want everyone to hear what you're listening to. Overall they're excellent for chilling out and listening to music at home.

For in ear, I recently got the Vsonic GR-07s and I think they're great. Very clear sound, good bass response, and very easy to listen to. They're around the $150 range, I think.

You should check out http://www.head-fi.org/. The people on that site are crazy knowledgeable and will point you in the right direction.
Q

jplovesthequads Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:36 pm

My in-ear skullcandys break like every four months. Don't know why but they always rip. Sony is a great brand of headphones, my brother has a good pair. Beats ARE overpriced imo. I'm currently using SkullCandy headphones (as in not inear) and they work nice, though they do hurt my ears after a good hour of use.
PPCHS-Bass/Quads/Snare '10-'13
MGAMB- Snare '12
FSU Big 8- Quads '14-15

dlinebass5 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re:

Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:17 pm

My in-ear skullcandys break like every four months.
Mine have lasted over two years. Treat 'em properly and they'll last just fine. Throw 'em in a bag, tug on them, etc., and they'll break, like any other headphone. Considering the sound is plenty for me, and the durability is fine if you're not throwing 'em around, $20 is a fine investment. And I'm not constantly worried about breaking something $100+.