Not into playing drumset.

discuss everything else here

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

Quadpower101 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Not into playing drumset.

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:52 pm

I am in the drumline at my school. I love playing my quads. I think it is challenging, but extremely enjoyable. I used to want to learn set, but I never followed through. As of know, I am not into playing set. Since I am a drummer, is this bad, weird, or uncommon?

TheKingofNone Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re: Not into playing drumset.

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:21 pm

Nope. You just don't like it. It's like asking if a trumpet player is weird for not liking baritone, it's two completely different instruments, styles of music, technique... It's cool.
You cant just 'hit' a drum; you have to beat the s*** out of it. ~Eric Cartman

GSUS '15

I'm that guy who says he'll try out for drum corps next year and never does.
But I'm totally gonna try to march Alliance this summer.

Quadpower101 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:07 pm

Ok thanks! I really was just wondering because my neighbor gave me his drumset about 2 years ago, and I used it for about, a month, but I never got into it as much as I did marching drums. So,now its just in my room and I rarely touch it. Thanks for clearing that up for me!

hotbeats645 Offline
Jeff Queen
Jeff Queen

Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:34 am

no, drum set is one of the younger percussion "instruments" (aside from vibraphone and steel pan maybe). percussion has such a broad history over so many cultures that it's fine to not be into everything. drumset is a very valuable skill to have though, as a percussionist
I play and teach music (sometimes even band music!)

I work in music tech and licensing.

Music is an art and positive energy.

cobemon Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:01 pm

tenors and drumset are completely different, even if they can sometimes look similar with multiple drums and all. i know people that are comfortable playing marimba but not xylophone.

Quadpower101 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:02 pm

Ok. Thanks everyone for clearing that up. I was just not sure.

hotbeats645 Offline
Jeff Queen
Jeff Queen

Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:54 pm

cobemon wrote:i know people that are comfortable playing marimba but not xylophone.

that's just silly

Kaitou Offline

Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:08 pm

Keep in mind though that there are literally hundreds of types of music you can play on drumset. Some guys just want to play jazz, or funk, or big band, or rock, or metal, or latin..hell maybe even disco. It's possible that you haven't found a style to play that really speaks to you. It is also possible that you just don't like it at all. To each his own
TA67 wrote:She walked over to me and said "I formally request that you turn my body into a playground of lust and wonder, o burly man." To which I agreed. I laid her down on the desk, and well...we both got As for the entire semester as a result.
ImageImage

zball75 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:53 pm

I can completely relate. I just can't get into the set as much as I do with marching percussion. But hey, it is what it is. Two very different things.

DCHS Drumline
11-12 Snare
12-13 Snare
13-14 Snare
Youtube Channel
Twitter

Quadpower101 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:39 am

Kaitou wrote:Keep in mind though that there are literally hundreds of types of music you can play on drumset. Some guys just want to play jazz, or funk, or big band, or rock, or metal, or latin..hell maybe even disco. It's possible that you haven't found a style to play that really speaks to you. It is also possible that you just don't like it at all. To each his own
That is a different way to think about it... I don't think I'll completely give up set, but as of now, I'm not really interested. Thanks.

Oroht Offline
noob
noob

Re:

Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:14 pm

I was a kit player for 2 and a half years before I got into marching percussion. I loved it. 10, 12, sometimes 15 hours a day of practicing. Naturally I gravitated to the quads... and then realized how heavy they were haha! I definitely enjoy marching percussion a lot; I'm currently center snare.... However, that being said, I'm using this to better my kit playing skills. I feel that rather than PAY to PLAY... I'm getting PAID to PLAY. I personally feel the experience of being a studio musician and being able to go all around the world and play different styles with different feels...move people different ways, is more satisfying than always having the same set up of instruments playing the same styled things; but to a more technical level. Of course it depends on the songs etc.

jplovesthequads Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:17 pm

haha no ones gonna force you to love drumset dude!
PPCHS-Bass/Quads/Snare '10-'13
MGAMB- Snare '12
FSU Big 8- Quads '14-15

pr0k Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:52 pm

Then just don't play drumset. It's cool bro. I mean you're missin out but it's cool

Lee clary Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:27 pm

Yeah don't do it if you don't want to but if you do that quad playing is gonna help.
Famu Fall 17' 🤞🏼🐍🐍

pr0k Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:08 pm

Lee clary wrote:quad playing is gonna help.
to a short extent.. just because there's multiple drums doesn't mean they're really that similar. completely different playing styles, techniques used, parts of the brain..

Nathan Aaron Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:27 pm

Yea, it's definitely okay. I feel like you feel as if you should want to play set because it's a common thought that all non-pitched percussion (i.e. marching battery) stems from drumset. Like, Drumset is the father of the big world of percussion. This is like thinking that if you're a xylo player then you must like piano. But it's not. Just think of the drumset as another percussion instrument. Granted, it's a heck of a lot more common, but don't think you have to like it/be good at it.
'11-'14 Fall Snare
'13 Winter Snare
'14 Winter -Tacet
Spirit Snare 80 wrote:Moral of the story, if you want others to enjoy and play your creations, write them so normal people can play them.
http://nathanaaronphotography.wordpress.com/

hotbeats645 Offline
Jeff Queen
Jeff Queen

Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:31 am

Nathan Aaron wrote: it's a common thought that all non-pitched percussion (i.e. marching battery) stems from drumset. Like, Drumset is the father of the big world of percussion. .

you actually have this nearly 100% backwards. the % that isn't backwards is just purely incorrect.

hurt-a Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:41 am

hotbeats645 wrote:
Nathan Aaron wrote: it's a common thought that all non-pitched percussion (i.e. marching battery) stems from drumset. Like, Drumset is the father of the big world of percussion. .

you actually have this nearly 100% backwards. the % that isn't backwards is just purely incorrect.
Get wrecked
Legends DBC Front Ensemble
2013- Aux
2014- Vibraphone
2015- Marimba
Spirit Snare 80 wrote:Cowbell- "WHACK-WHACK-WHACK-WHACK"......Spaaaalat. "Cut!" Do it again!

Nathan Aaron Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:02 pm

Exactly. That's why I said it was wrong. That was an example of the incorrect way people think about set.
'11-'14 Fall Snare
'13 Winter Snare
'14 Winter -Tacet
Spirit Snare 80 wrote:Moral of the story, if you want others to enjoy and play your creations, write them so normal people can play them.

hotbeats645 Offline
Jeff Queen
Jeff Queen

Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:17 pm

i see, my b

Nathan Aaron Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:42 pm

hotbeats645 wrote:i see, my b
Haha, it's all good!
(Michael Scott reference)
'11-'14 Fall Snare
'13 Winter Snare
'14 Winter -Tacet

muthkw25 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:59 pm

Quadpower101 wrote:I am in the drumline at my school. I love playing my quads. I think it is challenging, but extremely enjoyable. I used to want to learn set, but I never followed through. As of know, I am not into playing set. Since I am a drummer, is this bad, weird, or uncommon?

Not everyone is into drumset. I like drumset, but not nearly as much as marching percussion. It's fun every once in a while, but the real challenge is drumming with 8 to 9 people and trying to be the exact same in everything. It's all preference.

jplovesthequads Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:25 am

pr0k wrote:
Lee clary wrote:quad playing is gonna help.
to a short extent.. just because there's multiple drums doesn't mean they're really that similar. completely different playing styles, techniques used, parts of the brain..
I respectfully don't think so. Jared O' Leary from OCPD posted about how drumset and tenors can help each other when practicing.
Another thing that will help you out as a tenor player is to play drumset. This helps you establish a groove, develop a consistent tempo, further develop moving around drums, and will help improve your independence between your hands and your feet for marching and playing.
PPCHS-Bass/Quads/Snare '10-'13
MGAMB- Snare '12
FSU Big 8- Quads '14-15

MHS-JDawg Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:28 am

It's funny, and I'm a little mad, a few years ago I wanted a drum set for Christmas, and I got one, and through the last few years i've been adding more equipment and cymbals and drums to my set, and last year I joined the drumline at my school, and now I look at my set and think how easy and boring it is, laying down a loose 4/4 beat with a little variation, and then I go to snare and i've got hundreds of rudiments and rhythms to put together, yet there is so much money sitting there in my set. I want to sell it and get money to put towards something else, but it'll probably make my parents really mad that they got me it and all this stuff and now i'm disinterested in it, (I have a knack for getting really in to things and then all of a sudden just don't care for it any more). I rarely play it any more but luckily my parents haven't really noticed it much yet. I'm pretty torn on what to do.

Lee clary Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:27 pm

MHS-JDawg wrote:It's funny, and I'm a little mad, a few years ago I wanted a drum set for Christmas, and I got one, and through the last few years i've been adding more equipment and cymbals and drums to my set, and last year I joined the drumline at my school, and now I look at my set and think how easy and boring it is, laying down a loose 4/4 beat with a little variation, and then I go to snare and i've got hundreds of rudiments and rhythms to put together, yet there is so much money sitting there in my set. I want to sell it and get money to put towards something else, but it'll probably make my parents really mad that they got me it and all this stuff and now i'm disinterested in it, (I have a knack for getting really in to things and then all of a sudden just don't care for it any more). I rarely play it any more but luckily my parents haven't really noticed it much yet. I'm pretty torn on what to do.
Simple solution to that is work on different type styles like Jazz, Samba, etc. You could try working on hand to foot independence, or different types of fills to expand your drumset vocabulary. Also drumset can pay the bills while marching can not.
Famu Fall 17' 🤞🏼🐍🐍