discuss everything else here

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

ayeyomaggots Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

xbox one vs. ps4

Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:15 pm

discussion for these next gen consoles

looks like sony is going to come out on top as of now just cause of all the controversy over microsoft's used game policy and some of their other policies
Lee clary wrote:Zelda is just a godly game and i love it play it every day i still have a N64 and a gamecube im hardcore for it.

billc36 Offline

Re: xbox one vs. ps4

Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:44 pm

Both are great systems.

But, I think Microsoft is placing too many rules to the end user. Can't easily share games with friends, the Kinect is always on (even when the system itself is off), if the camera detects more than a certain number of people in the room to watch a movie, it'll require an extra charge, requires Internet connection, etc.

Sony seems to really be embracing the indie game developers. They are coming out cheaper, even if you buy the PS Eye accessory. Good collection of launch exclusives also.

My posts are mine and mine alone.
They do not now or in the future represent any group, person (both living and dead) that I have been, am currently, or will be in the future associated with.

hotbeats645 Offline
Jeff Queen
Jeff Queen

Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:02 pm

the fact that you can't access the new xbox without WIFI is straight up stupid
I play and teach music (sometimes even band music!)

I work in music tech and licensing.

Music is an art and positive energy.

dlinebass5 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:05 pm

Let me attack this as someone who the gaming world left behind. I don't own any of the current generation consoles, and play those of my friends every so often. I'd spend any amount of money on a decent football game, if they ever made one. But, as someone who still plays his original XBOX, and never got caught up in the new, fancy stuff, let me offer this:

The XBOX One isn't restricting much more than the 360 is, currently. Here are the complaints I've heard:
You have to be online.
- You have to be online, now. You don't have to play multiplayer, you can show yourself as unavailable, but you have to be connected to the internet (online). Games are published half-finished, and updated via the internet. Anyone not connected is left with half a game, and a largely useless, wholly frustrating experience.

All internal memory aside from saved game data is entirely erased every time you turn off the console. This includes the clock, with the only fix being connecting to the internet to automatically adjust the time, or doing it yourself every time you turn on the system.

Transferring information from one system to the other is virtually impossible. Only select pieces of data are usable upon transfer, with all others not working because of various 'security' issues. I can't identify who I am, because I didn't log onto the internet with an account, upload data to a storage device, log into a different system on said same account, and them download said data.

Used games will have to be trade online, with a fee.
- There are already a litany of measures preventing you from using material more than once. I was given a unique code for my football game in order to access online content. I used it on one console, and now play the game more regularly on a different console. Goodbye internet access. I can't even transfer that information, because it's registered to one profile, and not another (not mine, being that I don't have one).

Their online purchasing has already shown that it doesn't reflect market prices, as they're routinely more expensive than physical games you can find brand new elsewhere.

Mandatory use of voice/motion recognition.
This one I won't defend. This is pretty new, from what I've heard, but I don't know all the details.

So, at the end of the day, they've stepped some things up, but ultimately the outrage is just over it being seen in black and white. They've been screwing you all along, you've just gotten over it. I guarantee people will get over this, it'll make tons of money, and the rest of the indursty will follow suit within the next few years. Wouldn't be surprised in the least to see Sony do the same during the PS4's lifetime.

I certainly don't support it. I hate every last bit of it. I hate it, I hate it, I hate it. Give me my full, completed game, let me put it in my console, play, and be happy. I'll go online if I want to, and you can go *beep* yourself. But, the point is that things aren't going to be much more different than they are now. Question is, are you okay with how restrcited you are now? If so, you might just be able to get over what's coming...

AddSomeBottom Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Re:

Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:16 pm

I'm sitting this generation out, at least until I age out (DCI 14/WGI 15). New console's and diddle payments? Ain't nobody got money for that.
PIO 12-14

roastduck Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:06 pm

I'm taking this opportunity to back out of console gaming almost entirely. I have a 360 currently, but 95% of what I use it for is Netflix or to watch a DVD. I only ever play a game when my internet is down (in which case I still have full offline functionality. All my data is still there and the clock is still accurate). All the games I play currently are PC games (Planetside 2, Starcraft 2, and League of Legends), except for offline, single-player games on console when I'm tired of dealing with hordes of 12 year olds who have allegedly had sex with my mother. Skyrim, Mass Effect, and Halo will all suit me just fine in that regard.
Kyle Herring

Got a score you want cleaned up? Need quality audio files and click tracks for your group? PM me. I have Sibelius 7, VDL 2.5, and more free time than I'm comfortable with.

McNeese State University
Bass 08-10

Sam Houston High School
Instructor 08-11

Westlake High School (Westlake, LA)
Caption Head 11-present

St. Louis Catholic High School

Bassnare Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:50 pm

This is relevant:

At this point I don't think I'm going to buy a new console. I'm probably just going to save my money for a powerful PC and/or drum corps.
dlinebass5 wrote: - You have to be online, now. You don't have to play multiplayer, you can show yourself as unavailable, but you have to be connected to the internet (online). Games are published half-finished, and updated via the internet. Anyone not connected is left with half a game, and a largely useless, wholly frustrating experience.
You don't have to be connected or updated to play games on the 360. I would be perfectly fine without an internet connection because I mostly only enjoy the single player experience. Games work fine without the newest updates. The Xbox One, on the other hand, has to check into the internet every 24 hours to work at all. That means if I lose my job and can't afford internet, I can't play any of my games even if they're just single player.
dlinebass5 wrote:All internal memory aside from saved game data is entirely erased every time you turn off the console. This includes the clock, with the only fix being connecting to the internet to automatically adjust the time, or doing it yourself every time you turn on the system.
To my knowledge, the 360 only resets the clock if it loses power. If you just turn it off it still keeps time.

swissflamdrag Offline
chops master
chops master

Re:

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:50 am

The ps4 is cheaper with better hardware all because of Microsoft's $150 camera. From what devs are saying, the ps4 versions of all the multi-platform releases have up to 40% better graphics that the Xbone. Microsoft's vision is about 15 years too early IMO, most of the planet does not have the internet infrastructure to use it.
Northwest High School class of '12
Forte 2011 Snare

billc36 Offline

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:18 am

Microsoft did address the issue of our troops overseas who don't have internet connection. Their response, and I quote: "We already have a system in place for those without internet connection, it's the Xbox 360." Really, that's their response to our troops that are loyal gamers and don't have a lot of other things to do on their downtime when they're deployed?

They do not now or in the future represent any group, person (both living and dead) that I have been, am currently, or will be in the future associated with.

Lee clary Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:15 am

Pc wins
Famu Fall 17' 🤞🏼🐍🐍

lij2015 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:32 pm

PS4
The marketplace explanation, of what you can do on it, sold it for me.
Dominion storm: 2011, 2012 Vibes/Marimba
James Madison University

roastduck Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:00 pm

Microsoft has reversed its position on game sharing and always-online

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/06/r ... -policies/

Games can now be bought, played, traded, and sold exactly as they are on the 360. There will be a launch day patch integrated into the first-time setup of the One that will enable an offline mode for disk-based games. However, the cloud storage of games and family sharing library features have been removed
Kyle Herring

Got a score you want cleaned up? Need quality audio files and click tracks for your group? PM me. I have Sibelius 7, VDL 2.5, and more free time than I'm comfortable with.

McNeese State University
Bass 08-10

Sam Houston High School
Instructor 08-11

Caption Head 11-present

ayeyomaggots Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Re:

Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:34 am

even though thats probably the right move for microsoft, i think the damage is already done. too many people have their minds set on sony already; and now the people that actually liked the cloud based policy are out of luck.
their PR department has a tough road ahead
Lee clary wrote:Zelda is just a godly game and i love it play it every day i still have a N64 and a gamecube im hardcore for it.

billc36 Offline

Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:36 am

MS lost face by not sticking to their guns. The joke now is people are calling it the Xbox 180.

The Kinect is still required and its still always on. I'm curious to see what happens with their restrictions about more the X number of people being detected by the camera and applying an extra fee.

Kaitou Offline

Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:24 pm

The Xbox had the chance to actually innovate a little this generation..but they backed off of it. Now the consoles are going to be (basically) the exact same as each other and the last generation but with better graphics. Moving console gaming to a more Steam-like approach could have been very interesting, but the vocal minority (yes, the people that care enough to go post on the internet about it are a minority..tons of people don't know a thing about the new consoles and don't care. Mom is going to buy her son a One because he loved his 360 type of thing) was loud enough that they completely backpedaled. Stagnation..the only innovation in the industry is in the graphical department now.
TA67 wrote:She walked over to me and said "I formally request that you turn my body into a playground of lust and wonder, o burly man." To which I agreed. I laid her down on the desk, and well...we both got As for the entire semester as a result.
ImageImage

JordanDrummer4685 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Re:

Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:00 pm

Come on guys let's just be happy Microsoft at least reversed their DRM Policy for the Xbox One and took away some family sharing benefits. :D

-Complete Sarcasm
SHS Drumline
10': British Invasion- Pit

11': Latin- Snare
12' Pride Of The Tribe RISES- Center Snare
13' Snare tech
13' Infinity[CUT]

Cubee Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:04 pm

Kaitou wrote:The Xbox had the chance to actually innovate a little this generation..but they backed off of it. Now the consoles are going to be (basically) the exact same as each other and the last generation but with better graphics. Moving console gaming to a more Steam-like approach could have been very interesting, but the vocal minority (yes, the people that care enough to go post on the internet about it are a minority..tons of people don't know a thing about the new consoles and don't care. Mom is going to buy her son a One because he loved his 360 type of thing) was loud enough that they completely backpedaled. Stagnation..the only innovation in the industry is in the graphical department now.
How is a developing a complicated anti-consumer DRM scheme innovating?
Q

Kaitou Offline

Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:23 pm

Cubee wrote:
Kaitou wrote:The Xbox had the chance to actually innovate a little this generation..but they backed off of it. Now the consoles are going to be (basically) the exact same as each other and the last generation but with better graphics. Moving console gaming to a more Steam-like approach could have been very interesting, but the vocal minority (yes, the people that care enough to go post on the internet about it are a minority..tons of people don't know a thing about the new consoles and don't care. Mom is going to buy her son a One because he loved his 360 type of thing) was loud enough that they completely backpedaled. Stagnation..the only innovation in the industry is in the graphical department now.
It was moving toward a model like Steam follows
TA67 wrote:She walked over to me and said "I formally request that you turn my body into a playground of lust and wonder, o burly man." To which I agreed. I laid her down on the desk, and well...we both got As for the entire semester as a result.
ImageImage

roastduck Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:58 pm

Kaitou wrote:
Cubee wrote:
true statement. for more, read here: http://gizmodo.com/the-xbox-one-just-go ... -514411905
Kyle Herring

McNeese State University
Bass 08-10

Sam Houston High School
Instructor 08-11

Caption Head 11-present

UHSnare45 Offline
Jeff Queen
Jeff Queen

Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:09 pm

Everyone always brings up Steam. On Steam, you can get a brand new Triple-A game for $5. You can't do that on consoles. I mean it's even hard to find a used AAA Game for $5 that came out within the last 2 years. Sure there's a chance that going all digital will usher in Steam-like discounts, but do you want to hedge your consumer rights and flexibility on a chance? This IS Microsoft after all. They want your money.

But it's cool. I won't either until the 2nd or 3rd year they're out. If I'm wrong at that point (say they bring back the DRM and introduce sales), so be it, I was wrong. But I'm sticking to my gut for now.
UHS-Snare '09-'12(SL)
AAMB 2013 - Snare

Lee clary Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:42 am

I pretty sure if you have a problem with the camera you can just turn the Xbox around.
Famu Fall 17' 🤞🏼🐍🐍

swissflamdrag Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:45 pm

Kaitou wrote:
Cubee wrote:
The rest of the planet does not have the internet infrastructure to do what Microsoft was trying to do. Plus Microsoft LOVES their restrictions, that's something they have never been able to figure out is that costumers like choice, a way to take a product and make it their own. Under the DRM policies, you were essentially renting your games not actually owning them.

Yes I acknowledge the gaming industry is dying due to used game sales, but I have a simple solution. MAKE GAMES WITH REPLAY VALUE! I would never dream of returning my Mass Effect series, I could pick up Mass Effect 1 today and start a whole new playthrough of the series and still have a completely different experience than other 3 times I have beaten them.
Northwest High School class of '12
Forte 2011 Snare

roastduck Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:55 pm

Lee clary wrote:I pretty sure if you have a problem with the camera you can just turn the Xbox around.
Wait, you mean Microsoft won't come into my house and bolt my XBone into place? I can CHOOSE where I put it and which way I face it?!
Kyle Herring

McNeese State University
Bass 08-10

Sam Houston High School
Instructor 08-11

Caption Head 11-present

billc36 Offline

Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:59 pm

You can turn the camera around, but if it doesn't detect anyone when the systems on, it won't allow you to do anything.

gamertooth17 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:18 pm

I sneezed the other day while playing Xbox 1.

I got a called saying "god bless you."
John Martin - 14 y/o composer, arranger, percussionist, pianist, Batman, polyglot, middle distance runner
Western Reserve Blue Devils Marching Band
7th: Marching Bells, Tin Can, Cowbell
8th: Quads
9th: Snare
10th: Snare
OMEA Junior High Honors Band: 2011 & 2012
OMEA High School Honors Band: 2014