Drum closet stories?

discuss everything else here

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

Lc_Drums Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Drum closet stories?

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:42 pm

I was wondering if anyone had any funny storied from their school's drum closet, because it seems like it's a universal thing to do stupid things in the drum closet. Also if there's a special name for it or anything. Mine is the bass closet, because we store the marching basses, concert bass, and a bass guitar in there. It's kind of like our hang out/ chill zone, and oh boy the stories i could tell about it. :lol:

dcbd Offline
chops master
chops master

Re: Drum closet stories?

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:54 pm

Band make out spot was above the drum closet in the ceiling, christmas lights bro.
DCA 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
DCI 2012
PIA 2007, 2008, 2009
PIO 2011
PIW 2013

Lc_Drums Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:59 pm

dcbd wrote:Band make out spot was above the drum closet in the ceiling, christmas lights bro.
Genius! :lol: The bass closet is also where we change clothes, even though were not allowed to change in the band hall, and one day the girls decided they were tired of having to go crowd into a bathroom to change. From that day on the bass closet is also referred to as the booty room on account of it now doubling as a co-ed locker room xD

Lee clary Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:14 pm

During band camp we found a big Futon at Goodwill for 40 dollars so we pooled in our money and got it. We brought it and put it in the percussion room Mrs.Limer asked us what we were doing we said "early band lock in" she told us to get out and we kept the futon in the room and we put boxes under it for snack stashes.
Famu Fall 17' 🤞🏼🐍🐍

snarescience Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:19 pm

We would sit around the table and play double-stroke rolls for increments of 10 minutes.
Ryan Wold
MBI Snare '98-'99,'01-'02,'05-'06,'10
MBI Snare Tech '04

Scouts Snare '00
Siamyth Snare Tech '08
MN Vikings "Skol Line" '09

Lc_Drums Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:21 pm

snarescience wrote:We would sit around the table and play double-stroke rolls for increments of 10 minutes.
Haha We always have little chops contest like that, seeing who can hold out the longest and such

hotbeats645 Offline
Jeff Queen
Jeff Queen

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:29 pm

Lc_Drums wrote:
snarescience wrote:We would sit around the table and play double-stroke rolls for increments of 10 minutes.
Haha We always have little chops contest like that, seeing who can hold out the longest and such

circle jerk
I play and teach music (sometimes even band music!)

I work in music tech and licensing.

Music is an art and positive energy.

dcbd Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:35 pm

hotbeats645 wrote:
Lc_Drums wrote:

circle jerk
Icky cookie game. Okay took it too far.
DCA 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
DCI 2012
PIA 2007, 2008, 2009
PIO 2011
PIW 2013

Lc_Drums Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:48 pm

^ oh god that's exactly what it sounds like too

hurt-a Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:23 pm

Lc_Drums wrote: Genius! :lol: The bass closet is also where we change clothes, even though were not allowed to change in the band hall, and one day the girls decided they were tired of having to go crowd into a bathroom to change. From that day on the bass closet is also referred to as the booty room on account of it now doubling as a co-ed locker room xD
Damn, wish I was in your band
Legends DBC Front Ensemble
2013- Aux
2014- Vibraphone
2015- Marimba
Spirit Snare 80 wrote:Cowbell- "WHACK-WHACK-WHACK-WHACK"......Spaaaalat. "Cut!" Do it again!

Lc_Drums Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:51 pm

hurt-a wrote:
Lc_Drums wrote: Genius! :lol: The bass closet is also where we change clothes, even though were not allowed to change in the band hall, and one day the girls decided they were tired of having to go crowd into a bathroom to change. From that day on the bass closet is also referred to as the booty room on account of it now doubling as a co-ed locker room xD
Damn, wish I was in your band
Not gonna lie, it's nice. We have an all chick cymbal line almost every year

gnarwall Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Re:

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:24 pm

When I was in high school all the potheads in the percussion section would smoke in there. The room is now locked.

hurt-a Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re: Re:

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:07 pm

gnarwall wrote:When I was in high school all the potheads in the percussion section would smoke in there. The room is now locked.
Typical potheads. Ruin it for everyone else.
2013- Aux
2014- Vibraphone
2015- Marimba
Spirit Snare 80 wrote:Cowbell- "WHACK-WHACK-WHACK-WHACK"......Spaaaalat. "Cut!" Do it again!

gnarwall Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Re:

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:42 pm

Yeah seriously, now where are the kids supposed to hide from Sousa marches?

hotbeats645 Offline
Jeff Queen
Jeff Queen

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:05 pm

gnarwall wrote:Yeah seriously, now where are the kids supposed to hide from Sousa marches?

made my night

Lc_Drums Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:09 am

hurt-a wrote:
gnarwall wrote:When I was in high school all the potheads in the percussion section would smoke in there. The room is now locked.
That hurts ._.

hurt-a Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:32 am

Lc_Drums wrote:
hurt-a wrote:
That hurts ._.
The 2 potheads in my drumline last year were solely responsible for giving us embaressing scores so i stand by that. sorry:/
2013- Aux
2014- Vibraphone
2015- Marimba

hotbeats645 Offline
Jeff Queen
Jeff Queen

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:30 am

hurt-a wrote:
Lc_Drums wrote:
hurt-a wrote: Typical potheads. Ruin it for everyone else.
That hurts ._.
The 2 potheads in my drumline last year were solely responsible for giving us embaressing scores so i stand by that. sorry:/

THAT EXPLAINS WHY OBAMA IS SUCH A BAD PRESIDENT!!! OMG THANK UUUUUUU FOR YOUR WISDOM

but seriously-if you're lazy and have no work ethic and smoke dope, those qualities will be amplified. if you're creative and nice and relaxed and a good person and smoke dope, those qualities will be amplified.

nochops94 Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:09 am

I thought my high school was alone in this... hahaha. I probably could write about a short novel about our little drum closet. Good times.
MKHS 08-12

DCA
Tampa Bay Thunder '11, '12- snare
WGI
Aquarius Percussion [PIA] '12- snare
Marcato Independent Percussion '15 [PIO]- snare

Kaitou Offline

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:32 am

Mine always got locked in concert season because people would go hide in there to sleep -.-

Then my senior year we got a new director..who's wife was a guard instructor..so the colorguard got whatever they wanted including half of our drum room. That was irritating.

All of the other stories are nsfw I believe..I'll just say there were 3 drumline/guard couples for the majority of that year
TA67 wrote:She walked over to me and said "I formally request that you turn my body into a playground of lust and wonder, o burly man." To which I agreed. I laid her down on the desk, and well...we both got As for the entire semester as a result.
ImageImage

snare20 Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:49 pm

There was a lot that happened at my school closet. I'll just say a few. We had a toaster oven. (people would run to Meijer or Kroger before school like the night before and buy pizza rolls and such and we'd eat that in class. (our lunch was pretty much the end of the day, so we had a "snack time." We had a mini fridge a tv with video games, and a desktop. All of which was on the loft.

Now for the story. (We also had this set up for band camp.) We were on a long break before dinner and then back to the field for full ensemble. We went in there and our drum tech came with us. We ate watched tv and played video games. We went to dinner late. (The director didn't mind if we were a few min late as long as we ate.) We went back after eating and continued playing games and tv and whatnot. We were about half hour late to the field for ensemble and the director asked what we had been doing. the tech replied we were working on rolls and we lost track of time. The director said whatever and we got on the field. The first part we played on the field in that chunk we were working on was a roll. Needless to say the director found out and we had to move everything out....

jbohan6 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:29 pm

My freshmen season, the vets would always talk about how supposedly some of the guys on the line would get high and march shows. That may seem like 'eh okay' but i guess the like legend behind it was that our line had been dominating percussion for a long time, and they would march shows while high, and still get great scores and still win shows.

man, i love the drum room at my school. it's like a sanctuary. This past season, on the last day of band camp, we have a potluck dinner, and one of the bass drummers brought salsa, but left it in the drum room on accident, so it kinda just sat there for awhile. At one of the practices, we decided to put it in the ceiling panels. After that, it was referred to as the Hypesalsa and we all said that at our last competition, when we get back, we'd all sit in a circle and eat the salsa.

It wasn't that bad, actually.

We put so much stuff in the ceiling. It's just fun. Our tech, who once marched at our school, tells us stories about the stuff they did in the drum room.

I love high school band.
"Binaries on the Tymp-Toms gettin' kinda' cloudy."

Lc_Drums Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:27 pm

Ha, we store a bunch of stuff in the ceiling too! As far as smoking during marching season, i save it for weekends. I tried getting high before practice once, and i hated it. The heat, carrying bass 5, plus the high were just too disorienting for me to function, and it wasn't a fun experience at all.

Kaitou Offline

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:10 pm

That reminds me of two of the freshman my last year getting drunk before a game..the idiots almost got killed
TA67 wrote:She walked over to me and said "I formally request that you turn my body into a playground of lust and wonder, o burly man." To which I agreed. I laid her down on the desk, and well...we both got As for the entire semester as a result.
ImageImage

Lc_Drums Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:08 pm

Kaitou wrote:That reminds me of two of the freshman my last year getting drunk before a game..the idiots almost got killed
Didn't get in any physical danger, but it turned an already hot and uncomfortable Texas summer into Hell. 102 degree weather with 23 lbs. on your chest doesn't feel all that great by itself, that *beep* was awful.