Bands you and I like... (Not marching band..)

discuss everything else here

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

PanasonicYouth Offline
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Bands you and I like... (Not marching band..)

Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:18 pm

lij2015 wrote:
PanasonicYouth wrote:
lij2015 wrote: I'm sorry, but you ACTUALLY like whitechapel?
I actually like Whitechapel. Is there a problem with this?
I don't see the appeal, when the only words you can understand under the deep grunting that sounds like he's taking a crap is the title of the song. Opinion based here, because I do like heavier stuff.
Not understanding the lyrics is about half the argument of every single person I've met who argued against heavy music. Honestly, I don't see the big deal - look them up if you want to know them. They're obviously more concerned about the sound than the lyrics. Not saying that this is you, but half the people who argue this listen to music with lyrics that have no meaning worth understanding, anyway.

Please note, I don't intend any offense by this.

drmmrboy88 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:42 pm

There are many, but these are my favs.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (3.69 KiB) Viewed 5368 times
FIU Drumline 2011
Momentum Percussion 2012

saint2558 Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:15 am

Add Woe, Is Me to my list.
Last edited by saint2558 on Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
"Don't let your left hand be the dead head of a two headed cow."-Ned Smith

JoshuaBuffone Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:42 pm

NO.
My opinions are mine and mine alone; they DO NOT represent the opinions of the groups I am associated with.

PadHands Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:02 pm

Born of Osiris. Eminem
lamb of god. Eazy-E
Beneath the sky. Skrillex
The devil wears prada. Hester prynne
The browning.
Attila
As blood runs black. And all of UKF's remixes and originals.
Meshuggah
Protest the hero
Eat a helicopter
Chelsea grin
petrolika wrote:
Timartin wrote:
petrolika wrote:
Bagpipes. Should be called pipescience.com.
sounds like an illegal hobby.
true, but sounds better then bagscience.com
Napanee & district pipe band-snare
Brighton legion highlanders-snare
A.N.A.F. Legion pipe band-snare

I like bagpipes...

TheStreetBeat Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:21 pm

coolstorybro(s)

THE BAND PERRY
YOU MAD BRO

GFlow Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:04 pm

TOOL

JoshuaBuffone Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:57 pm

Ha ↑
My opinions are mine and mine alone; they DO NOT represent the opinions of the groups I am associated with.

sxetnrdrmr Offline

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:08 pm

PanasonicYouth wrote:
lij2015 wrote:
PanasonicYouth wrote: I actually like Whitechapel. Is there a problem with this?
I don't see the appeal, when the only words you can understand under the deep grunting that sounds like he's taking a crap is the title of the song. Opinion based here, because I do like heavier stuff.
Not understanding the lyrics is about half the argument of every single person I've met who argued against heavy music. Honestly, I don't see the big deal - look them up if you want to know them. They're obviously more concerned about the sound than the lyrics. Not saying that this is you, but half the people who argue this listen to music with lyrics that have no meaning worth understanding, anyway.

Please note, I don't intend any offense by this.[/quote

awesomeness!!!! There are albums I have had for 30 years, that you CAN understand the lyrics to, that I don't know the lyrics to cause I till can't get past the music.

Anyway, on to my list:

RUSH

Iron Maiden, Slayer, Fates Warning, Dredg, Minor Threat, Strike Anywhere, Black Sabbath, The Police, Dio, Def Leppard, Queensryche, Animals As Leaders, Morbid Angel, Joan Jett, The Pretenders, The Pagans, 9 Shocks Terror, 7 Seconds, Dokken, Dvorak, Mussorgsky, Absu, Black Withchery, Death, Meshuggah, Dave Mathews Band, MC5, The Who, The Kinks, Darkthrone, Possessed, Agent Orange, The Cramps, White Zombie, Corrosion of Conformity, The Evens, Fugazi, Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck, Eyehategod, Faith No More, Goatwhore, Jeff Hamilton, Kings X, Leftover Crack, Megadeth, Negative Approach, Peter GAbriel,Primus, Scorpions, Amon Amarth, Dream Theater

...basically anything but rap and country
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

Its' All about the Parking Lot - Watterson Drumline
www.bishopwattersondrumline.webs.com
OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans

TA67 Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:03 pm

sxetnrdrmr wrote:
PanasonicYouth wrote:
lij2015 wrote: I don't see the appeal, when the only words you can understand under the deep grunting that sounds like he's taking a crap is the title of the song. Opinion based here, because I do like heavier stuff.

awesomeness!!!! There are albums I have had for 30 years, that you CAN understand the lyrics to, that I don't know the lyrics to cause I till can't get past the music.

Anyway, on to my list:

RUSH

Iron Maiden, Slayer, Fates Warning, Dredg, Minor Threat, Strike Anywhere, Black Sabbath, The Police, Dio, Def Leppard, Queensryche, Animals As Leaders, Morbid Angel, Joan Jett, The Pretenders, The Pagans, 9 Shocks Terror, 7 Seconds, Dokken, Dvorak, Mussorgsky, Absu, Black Withchery, Death, Meshuggah, Dave Mathews Band, MC5, The Who, The Kinks, Darkthrone, Possessed, Agent Orange, The Cramps, White Zombie, Corrosion of Conformity, The Evens, Fugazi, Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck, Eyehategod, Faith No More, Goatwhore, Jeff Hamilton, Kings X, Leftover Crack, Megadeth, Negative Approach, Peter GAbriel,Primus, Scorpions, Amon Amarth, Dream Theater

awesome. do you like cynic?

sxetnrdrmr Offline

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:11 pm

TA67 wrote:
sxetnrdrmr wrote:
PanasonicYouth wrote:

Anyway, on to my list:

RUSH

have never heard of Cynic...
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans

TA67 Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:06 pm

sxetnrdrmr wrote:
TA67 wrote:
sxetnrdrmr wrote: Not understanding the lyrics is about half the argument of every single person I've met who argued against heavy music. Honestly, I don't see the big deal - look them up if you want to know them. They're obviously more concerned about the sound than the lyrics. Not saying that this is you, but half the people who argue this listen to music with lyrics that have no meaning worth understanding, anyway.

Anyway, on to my list:

RUSH

have never heard of Cynic...
It's basically the musical child of Paul Masvidal and Sean Reinert, who were in Death for the "Human" album.

They released their album "Focus" in 1993:

then broke up because they essentially didn't have a following, or so they thought. Then in like 2007 they got back together because their 1993 album had gathered a huge cult following, and they released Traced in Air in 2008.

so yeah, cool stuff.

PanasonicYouth Offline
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:28 pm

sxetnrdrmr wrote:awesomeness!!!! There are albums I have had for 30 years, that you CAN understand the lyrics to, that I don't know the lyrics to cause I till can't get past the music.

Anyway, on to my list:

RUSH

Right on. I enjoy most of the bands you listed, but this board needs to up the punx.

Forlan10 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:55 am

Incubus, Foo Fighters, Rush, Pheonix, Maroon 5 (old stuff), The Police, Arctic Monkeys, Hoobastank, Jet, Jimmy Eat World, The Stones, The Mars Vola, Rage Againest the Machine, Nirvana, The Shins, The Clash, The Weeknd, Spoon

alochsta Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:00 pm

I'm surprised that I'm seeing more 311 mentioned on here. Maybe they've fizzled out, but in late 90s to early 00s, 311 was incredibly popular with the marching percussion community because of Sexton and the rhythmic stuff they do. Not to mention Scouts and Glassmen (I believe) did cadences to "Evolution" and "Freak out" many years ago.

sxetnrdrmr Offline

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:29 pm

PanasonicYouth wrote:
Right on. I enjoy most of the bands you listed, but this board needs to up the punx.
hell yeah baby: Minor Threat, Strike Anywhere, 7 Seconds, DOA, Teen Idles, Iron Cross, What Happens Next, R.A.M.B.O., Caustic Christ, Bad Brains, No Time Left, Struggle, Spazm 151, GBH, Subhumans, MDC, The Mentors, Vitamin X, Descendents, Reagan Youth, SSD, The Templars, Pagans, Negative Approach, Verbal Abuse, Municipal Waste, Magrudergrind, Spazz, Agent Orange, Youth Brigade, Dayglo Abortions, Aus Rotten, Gorilla Biscuits...

oi oi oi!!!!
the list goes on!
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans

PanasonicYouth Offline
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:45 pm

sxetnrdrmr wrote:
PanasonicYouth wrote:
hell yeah baby: Minor Threat, Strike Anywhere, 7 Seconds, DOA, Teen Idles, Iron Cross, What Happens Next, R.A.M.B.O., Caustic Christ, Bad Brains, No Time Left, Struggle, Spazm 151, GBH, Subhumans, MDC, The Mentors, Vitamin X, Descendents, Reagan Youth, SSD, The Templars, Pagans, Negative Approach, Verbal Abuse, Municipal Waste, Magrudergrind, Spazz, Agent Orange, Youth Brigade, Dayglo Abortions, Aus Rotten, Gorilla Biscuits...

oi oi oi!!!!
the list goes on!
*likes/upvotes/all that jazz*

I realized I never posted what I listen to. I like a big mix of punk, hardcore, pop-punk/melodic hardcore, ska, metalcore, and indie-ish stuff. That includes off the top of my head...

Green Day, Broadway Calls, Polar Bear Club, Title Fight, Trivium (don't talk to me about their newer stuff, though; I won't know anything), Linkin Park (same deal), Less Than Jake, We Are The Union, Such Gold, The Wonder Years, Shook Ones, Have Heart, Minor Threat, Descendents, Against Me!, Alexisonfire, City and Colour, Big D and the Kids Table, Defeater, The Ghost Inside, Kid Dynamite, Operation Ivy, Propagandhi, and the list goes on.

ol' heavy eyes Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:10 pm

sxetnrdrmr wrote:
PanasonicYouth wrote:
lij2015 wrote: I don't see the appeal, when the only words you can understand under the deep grunting that sounds like he's taking a crap is the title of the song. Opinion based here, because I do like heavier stuff.

Anyway, on to my list:

RUSH

Cynic, Minor Threat, Morbid Angel, Meshuggah, Darkthrone, Eyehategod, Goatwhore, and 9 Shocks Terror are all the *beep*! Thank you for having real taste

sxetnrdrmr Offline

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:28 pm

ol' heavy eyes wrote: Cynic, Minor Threat, Morbid Angel, Meshuggah, Darkthrone, Eyehategod, Goatwhore, and 9 Shocks Terror are all the *beep*! Thank you for having real taste
yep...short, fast and loud; long slow and loud; evil, pissed and loud; technical, melodic and loud...gotta like it all.
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans

ol' heavy eyes Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:13 pm

sxetnrdrmr wrote:
ol' heavy eyes wrote: Cynic, Minor Threat, Morbid Angel, Meshuggah, Darkthrone, Eyehategod, Goatwhore, and 9 Shocks Terror are all the *beep*! Thank you for having real taste
yep...short, fast and loud; long slow and loud; evil, *beep* and loud; technical, melodic and loud...gotta like it all.
Definitely

akfina Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:54 pm

The Cure
The Smiths
The Sex Pistols
The Jam
Siouxsie and the Banshees
Morrissey
New Order
Joy Division
Air Supply
Chicago
The Pains of Being Pure At Heart
Kiss
The Buzzcocks
RHS Pit Xylophone '11-'12 "Phobias."
RHS Drumline Bass 1 '12-'13 "Rain."
RHS Drumline Bass 1 '13-'14 "Rampage."
RHS Drumline Bass 1 '14-'15 "Infected."

hotbeats645 Offline
Jeff Queen
Jeff Queen

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:15 pm

Robert Glasper Experiment, The Roots, D'Angelo, Lettuce, a whole bunch of jazz that would take a long time to type out, Antibalas Afrobeat Orchestra, Cougar, The Deftones, Tool, Frank Zappa, The New Pornographers, Aphex Twin, Squarepusher, and many many more
I play and teach music (sometimes even band music!)

I work in music tech and licensing.

Music is an art and positive energy.

sxetnrdrmr Offline

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:40 am

akfina wrote:The Cure
The Smiths
The Sex Pistols
The Jam
Siouxsie and the Banshees
Morrissey
New Order
Joy Division
Air Supply
Chicago
The Pains of Being Pure At Heart