Evans heads

discuss whatever it is that instructors discuss

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

littlesnareboy Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Evans heads

Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:46 pm

Hey guys, I've had a lot of my high school students complaining about their wrists hurting from hours of using White Maxes so I've been thinking about switching the drumline to Evans after hearing they're more forgiving.

Does the Evans hybrid snare side still eat drums?
Is there a sound difference between the Greys and Whites or is it more like the Black and White Max?
Has anybody tried the System Blue Tenor Heads or the Hybrid-S?

Thanks guys, look forward to your responses.
Chris
SLD 05 Plates Music of Styx
SLD 06 Plates Music of the Moody Blues
SLD 07 Snare (finally) A Latin Experience
SLD 08 Center Snare La Nouba
Carolina Gold 07 Snare Deja Vu

TickintheBox Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Re: Evans heads

Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:07 pm

In my opinion Remo black maxes are the best feeling heads out there.
Evans Grey Hybrids are second to that. The white hybrids didn't feel too great.
The hybrid snare side will eat through carbonplay, but I didn't have a problem with them on the sfz's. I would go with the MX5 snare side heads with a Grey hybrid on top if you really want to give Evans a try.
Howell Central - '06-'10
Taz Thunder!
Intrepid - '08,'09
Freedom - 2010-2012
Phantom Regiment - 2012

highpitch_83 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:41 pm

This isn't meant as a slight against you, but have you considered that their technique may be the source of the pain? Perhaps double check their angle of approach to the drum or if they have a death grip on the stick (therefore channeling all the vibration into their wrists).

I've found that White Maxes are just as forgiving as any other head (previously have used Black Maxes and Evans MX Gold Batters) especially compared to the Falam series heads of yesteryear and haven't had any issues w/ wrist trauma over the last year we've used them (2 summer parade band seasons and 1 indoor season).

I've heard good things about the (gray) hybrids but they always come off as "plastic-y" sounding to me... (hard to describe).
MBI Snareline 2011 - DCA Champions
MBI Snareline 2012 - DCA Silver + 1st in Percussion Performer Excellence caption
---------------------------------------------------------------
Rüdimentality
- Rudimentality Store!
- Subscribe to the Rudimentality Podcast on iTunes
- Subscribe to the Rudimentality Podcast RSS Feed
- Listen to the Rudimentality Podcast on Stitcher

littlesnareboy Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:00 pm

Yeah I've definitely considered their technique and I'm going to look into it when I get the chance, but I've just heard the hybrid greys are nicer to your hands than other heads so I wanted to try that too.
Chris

highpitch_83 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:20 pm

littlesnareboy wrote:Yeah I've definitely considered their technique and I'm going to look into it when I get the chance, but I've just heard the hybrid greys are nicer to your hands than other heads so I wanted to try that too.
Right on, I've heard the same but haven't had a chance to try them... maybe order a gray along with a couple different bottom heads to mix n' match before investing in them for the whole line? I've done that before and it ended up saving hundreds of dollars in head choices that sounded good on paper but like hitting a refrigerator box in real life ;-)
MBI Snareline 2012 - DCA Silver + 1st in Percussion Performer Excellence caption
Rüdimentality
- Rudimentality Store!

littlesnareboy Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:43 pm

Yeah the only thing is their colors are blue and white with white drums so the greys wouldn't look very good. Do they whites feel/sound like the greys? Kinda like the relationship between white and black max?
Chris

BLAKE13 Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:51 pm

White Maxes do feel really hard compared to an Evans Grey Hybrid after playing on the Evans head for awhile. However, the White Hybrid feels almost the same as a White Max.

Grey Hybrid in comparison to a Black Max however, almost the same but the sound is different and the Black Max is harder
Capital Regiment 2009 (Bari)
Dominion Storm Indoor Drumline 2010, 11, 12 (Snare)

My opinions are MY OPINIONS. Don't get your panties in a bunch over it, we're all entitled to them.

highpitch_83 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:53 pm

not sure about the gray vs. white hybrids in terms of feel but in my mind sound characteristics trump aesthetics. For example, my indoor line this year is using white max batters on the snares, remo clear pinstripes on the quads and Ebony powermaxes on the basses (black drums and white/blue unis throughout) because I wanted to make sure the snares have a good "crack" to them, quads sound round & open and the basses are as muffled as possible.

Part of me thinks the gray heads with blue/white uni's and white drums will actually look cool (break up the palette a bit) :lol:
Rüdimentality
- Rudimentality Store!

SpaceJam Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:57 pm

The grey hybrids feel softer than a white max, as well as the white hybrids from Evans. Tha black max is debatable. The new black top heads from Evans feel and sound great though, maybe you should check those out.

DrewAnderson Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:57 pm

SpaceJam wrote:The grey hybrids feel softer than a white max, as well as the white hybrids from Evans. Tha black max is debatable. The new black top heads from Evans feel and sound great though, maybe you should check those out.
How do the black hybrids compare in feel and sound to the whites and greys?
Brahma from USF 2009-2010
Florida State University "Big 8" Drumline 2010-2013
Crossmen 2011
Cadets 2012-2013
Rhythm X 2014

sxetnrdrmr Offline

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:52 pm

they hybrids weave was made to feel softer than the "Maxes/Falams". I do thinkt hat the grey hybrids feel softer. The whites have the layer of white mylar over the grey fabric, and I feel that they are more brittle just due that layer.

I used the hybrids outdoors for a season and they were not very durable. I think thst shape of the weave allows them to come apart quicker than the Maxes, which I switched back to.

For indoor I use: (on Pearl Championship Series Drums)
Snares:
Black MAx on top/ Evans MS3 on snare side. I like the warmth/darkness of the mylar bottom. I put one of the Evans SOund Disk things in the drum so that it rests on the bottom head to make the sound shorter....proably use a wetter sanre sound than I should, but I hate it when the snares sound like tabletops...

tenors:
Remo Black Suedes

basses:

Remo Powermax Black Suedes
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

Its' All about the Parking Lot - Watterson Drumline
www.bishopwattersondrumline.webs.com
OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans

highpitch_83 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:56 pm

sxetnrdrmr wrote: /snip/ I like the warmth/darkness of the mylar bottom. I put one of the Evans SOund Disk things in the drum so that it rests on the bottom head to make the sound shorter....proably use a wetter sanre sound than I should, but I hate it when the snares sound like tabletops...
Hell yes, mylar bottom > falam bottom IMO. I especially dislike the "cardboard box" sound when you pair a black max or hybrid with a falam bottom (ewww). I prefer a sustained concert/orchestral snare sound over a short, boxy sound that only provides 1% more clarity.
Rüdimentality
- Rudimentality Store!

sxetnrdrmr Offline

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:31 pm

highpitch_83 wrote:
sxetnrdrmr wrote: /snip/ I like the warmth/darkness of the mylar bottom. I put one of the Evans SOund Disk things in the drum so that it rests on the bottom head to make the sound shorter....proably use a wetter sanre sound than I should, but I hate it when the snares sound like tabletops...
Hell yes, mylar bottom > falam bottom IMO. I especially dislike the "cardboard box" sound when you pair a black max or hybrid with a falam bottom (ewww). I prefer a sustained concert/orchestral snare sound over a short, boxy sound that only provides 1% more clarity.
yeah. I was around during the switch-over from mylar to kevlar. I don't mind the kelar - and now more commonly aramid - tops, but the bottom head is supposed to sustain and vibrate. If you have 9-11 snares, and there is the natural phasing of humans playing together, having a short indvidual snare sound can blend to make one larger "wet" snare sound

The problem is, most people just "do it b/c the Blue Devils do", and don't apply it to their situation...of usually 2-5 snares NOT ramming notes at 250 beats a minute

Their is now way my snare sound would work for a drum corps..it is too wet, BUT it works great for our balance and blend situation. We march 4 snares, 3 tenors, 5 basses, and 9 in the pit. I have 32 people in the entire hornline. If i had kevlar bottoms and tops, we would sound like crap and out play the hornline. We already have that problem anyway due to our numbers.

You have to make your sound yours, not someobdy elses. Take tips from the big guys, but listen to what they more about thier tuning scheme WITHIN THE BIG MUSICAL PICTURE....
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans

dgaking Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:05 pm

I've always leaned heavily toward Remo. I love how the Black Max feels and sounds. I was also satisfied working with the Evans Grey Hybrid last summer. Ours had a great sound, but didn't overpower the small wind section or the rest of the battery. I imagine they would work very well indoors.

I love the sound of Remo Pinstripes on the tenors, but I agree that they feel really soft. I switched a tenor line over to them mid-season, and it was rough for awhile. I am curious about the EC2.

highpitch_83 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:56 am

dgaking wrote: I love the sound of Remo Pinstripes on the tenors, but I agree that they feel really soft. I switched a tenor line over to them mid-season, and it was rough for awhile. I am curious about the EC2.
I would also recommend the Evans Corps Clears if you're considering the EC2's. Nice clear tone and they feel great.
Rüdimentality
- Rudimentality Store!

sxetnrdrmr Offline

Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:50 pm

Pvilledrums0909 wrote:Tenor head wise, i do not reccomend the suedes. We pulled a lot of those the year we marched them and the feel was a little soft. We used the remo pinstripes this year and they sounded pretty good, but they felt dead when you played on them. and they were incredibly hard to tune to them selves. i prefer the ec2 i believe that evans makes for tenors. they have the good sound that the clear pinstripes give but a solid feel, more towards kevlarish, and less like mylar. more of a different feel as opposed to your standard mylar tenor head.
we use Pins for outdoor, but they are too ringy for indoor.

That's weird about the Suedes. I never had any problems with them pulling. It just depends on which part of the roll the plastic is cut from...

Years ago I tried the Evans frosted heads, and liked the sound, but did have endurance problems with those. After about 4 practices, they were done. The frosting stuff would wear out, and they would just die. I feel like the Suedes are drier anyway.

And my tenor players would not want a "Kevlar" feel on their heads. They get used to the little bit of give that Pins have. I could not imagine why anyone would want there tenors to feel like table-tops....or their snares for that matter.
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans

snareplayer18 Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:50 pm

I like the gray Evans hybrid a lot. Good choice for a top head in my opinion

snurrplaya2132 Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:10 pm

We paired our drums with mapex stock mylar heads on the bottom... Evans gray on top (only for me since the upperclassmen had black maxes) they did feel very nice on the hands, although a little to soft for my preference. For tenors we used emperor suedes, sounded delicious when tuned correctly, ands white powermaxes for basses. Great sounding heads.
HHS
2010 - Machines in Motion *state champs*
2011 - The Work of Art *third place (snare captain)
2012- Gold (Snare captain)

sxetnrdrmr Offline

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:50 pm

Pvilledrums0909 wrote:
sxetnrdrmr wrote:
Pvilledrums0909 wrote:Tenor head wise, i do not reccomend the suedes. We pulled a lot of those the year we marched them and the feel was a little soft. We used the remo pinstripes this year and they sounded pretty good, but they felt dead when you played on them. and they were incredibly hard to tune to them selves. i prefer the ec2 i believe that evans makes for tenors. they have the good sound that the clear pinstripes give but a solid feel, more towards kevlarish, and less like mylar. more of a different feel as opposed to your standard mylar tenor head.
we use Pins for outdoor, but they are too ringy for indoor.

That's weird about the Suedes. I never had any problems with them pulling. It just depends on which part of the roll the plastic is cut from...

Years ago I tried the Evans frosted heads, and liked the sound, but did have endurance problems with those. After about 4 practices, they were done. The frosting stuff would wear out, and they would just die. I feel like the Suedes are drier anyway.

And my tenor players would not want a "Kevlar" feel on their heads. They get used to the little bit of give that Pins have. I could not imagine why anyone would want there tenors to feel like table-tops....or their snares for that matter.
Well i don't think I explained it right. Now I am a converted snare player, so I kinda like the kevlar feel. But what I mean is the EC2s are like the difference between the HQ Real Feel Pad and the invader. One is more soft and the other is a more solid feel. You know what I mean?
yeah. I liked the EC2's sound, but once again, I had trouble with durability. I only get to rehead once a year at my school, so any breakage comes out of my pocket. With the EC2's I was going thru about 3 pairs of heads...the Pins just 1 normally. PLUS for me the classic tenor sound is Pearl drums with Pins (a-la early '90s Phantom and SCV)

I do change the tenor heads more than that - out of my pocket - because i can't stand dead sounding tenor heads. We use the Pins out door, and I can get through a whole season (July-November) with the same 12's and 14's. I have to change the 10's and 8's about midway though, or as the yget worn out. Same with the pop drums.
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans

dgaking Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:49 pm

I just put new System Blue heads on my student's tenors and they look, sound, and feel amazing. We've only had one rehearsal with them, so I can't be sure, but it looks as if they are helping her play better. She sounded a lot cleaner on Saturday.

ajcf1995 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:22 pm

would evans hydraulic glass heads be good on tenors? just wondering
lesterroyer wrote: This comes second to setting my instructors truck on fire. I hated that guy.
jbohan6 wrote:Gotta play with some sack.
Mt. Vernon Highschool
"On Display"-Alto Sax 2010
"Defend The Shield"-Tenors 2012
"Heroes"-Tenors 2012-13 indoor

gbass598 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:54 pm

dgaking wrote:I just put new System Blue heads on my student's tenors and they look, sound, and feel amazing. We've only had one rehearsal with them, so I can't be sure, but it looks as if they are helping her play better. She sounded a lot cleaner on Saturday.
Just curious as to your thoughts on the system blue heads? I used them on my tenor line for a month and went back to the Corps Clear heads for the rest of this season. I thought the System Blue were too dry and lost tonality pretty quickly.
Morehead State University Front Ensemble '95
Morehead State University Bass Drum '96-'99
Golden Lancers Bass Drum '96
Glassmen Bass Drum '98

dgaking Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:22 pm

gbass598 wrote:
dgaking wrote:I just put new System Blue heads on my student's tenors and they look, sound, and feel amazing. We've only had one rehearsal with them, so I can't be sure, but it looks as if they are helping her play better. She sounded a lot cleaner on Saturday.
Just curious as to your thoughts on the system blue heads? I used them on my tenor line for a month and went back to the Corps Clear heads for the rest of this season. I thought the System Blue were too dry and lost tonality pretty quickly.
They lived up to their reputation on projection. I had to switch to a softer mallet because they cut so much. I was content with the sound quality. I didn't feel like they were more durable. Every little scuff on the head stood out like a sore thumb. I've also never seen tenor heads get so many dents (I'm not sure if that's totally the heads' fault or maybe an issue with technique or drum care). I'm probably going to switch back to Remo pinstripes this winter.

I'm also switching my snares from Black Maxes to the Evans gray hybrids. Has anyone tried the Evans hybrid bottom heads? I'm thinking they might be more durable than a traditional bottom head, but I'm not sure how they sound.

sxetnrdrmr Offline

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:20 am

my friend uses the bottom Hybrisd for his indoor line...I don't know if I like the sound or not...I think they are a good idea, but i think the way the aramid strands are wovem/glued into the mylar sort of negates the mylar...I definitely don't like the sound outdoors

I used the Hybrid tops years ago. They feel GREAT, and sound decent...darker than the MX Golds which I had used previously, but I just couldn't get them to last...the fabric would come apart real quick. I have heard that this still happens...I switched to Black Maxes after this...I don't know if it is the weave of the fabric, or the thickness (like not thick enough)?
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans

hotbeats645 Offline
Jeff Queen
Jeff Queen

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:27 pm

We switched to the hybrid bottoms at Tundra Line last year. I kind of had mixed feelings-when we were on the field I didn't really dig the sound, but walking around the stadium i thought the mylar sounded pretty clear.

I'm more a a Falams II bottom head guy myself. Over the summer we used those on the bottom heads along with Hybrids on the top, and really got a pretty nice sound.
I play and teach music (sometimes even band music!)

I work in music tech and licensing.

Music is an art and positive energy.