discuss whatever it is that instructors discuss

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

drummerchris83 Offline
chops master
chops master

Doing a camp

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:44 am

Ya im going to make this short......

Had a band director call me up and ask to do his band camp in about 2 weeks, and im wondering what exercises to take or do?
I know the basics of 8's and double beat but was wondering anything else

From what he said they are a championship drum line so im ............apprehensive about that.

Basically he wants to go over show music and thats cool with me.

Comments?
Gulf Coast Sound Snare Line 05
Arkansas Tech Bass line 07
Arkansas Tech Snare Line 08
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia- Kappa Eta

PhantomPhan89 Offline
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:05 pm

8s, double beat, flam exercises, roll exercises, really man if this is a championship drumline their line is going to be playing a lot of different things in their show music.

My take on it...you want an exercise for every basic thing they do (if they play a lot of flams, have a flam exercise, if they play a lot of cheeses, make the same exercise have cheeses in it as an alternate version of the exercise, etc.)

but if theres like 1 egg beater, or 1 section of inverts then don't bother writing or teaching a whole warm up exercise that is to be used every day because it will be a waste of time. Maybe if you're running sectionals and off the top of your head you have an exercise that exposes something like that but I wouldn't make it a part of the warm up routine..

so basically, read off the show music and determine from there yourself what kind of exercises you'll be teaching.
CorpsVets 08' - Pit
Memphis Sound 09' - Snare
University of North Alabama 09' 10' - Snare
University of North Alabama - 11' 13'- Quads
Gateway Indoor 11' - Quads

gretch89 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:12 pm

It's nice to find your drumline's strengths. My drumline really enjoys playing the triplet diddle exercises. But it is key to make sure there's variety in their warm-ups...you should talk to your director to get an idea of what he/she needs from your line that year. (field show & feature, march, ect.)