Teaching technique

discuss whatever it is that instructors discuss

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

TABtS Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Teaching technique

Posted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:17 pm

I know this isnt SNARE drummers technique...but hey I need help haha.

SO

I am teching this tenor girl and right now I am trying mostly to drill technique in her head....the thing is ..she just isnt improving very much....I know that everyone likes to go back to old habits, but it seems like she isnt even trying? Almost like she isn't really paying attention to what I say...even our drum instructors "yells" at her for the things ive tolde her a million times to not do lol I cant really tell if she is trying or not, i dont even know if she practices at home...i cant be around her 24/7 like that...

So does anyone have any tips on how to either make learning more fun or make it more easier to understand technique and be able to apply it? Should I just wait and hope that she eventually gets it? After all she is a noob....

Meh...IDK!!
"If the bass is too deep, you're too weak"

PhantomPhan89 Offline
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Teaching technique

Posted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:25 pm

TABtS wrote:I know this isnt SNARE drummers technique...but hey I need help haha.

SO

I am teching this tenor girl and right now I am trying mostly to drill technique in her head....the thing is ..she just isnt improving very much....I know that everyone likes to go back to old habits, but it seems like she isnt even trying? Almost like she isn't really paying attention to what I say...even our drum instructors "yells" at her for the things ive tolde her a million times to not do lol I cant really tell if she is trying or not, i dont even know if she practices at home...i cant be around her 24/7 like that...

So does anyone have any tips on how to either make learning more fun or make it more easier to understand technique and be able to apply it? Should I just wait and hope that she eventually gets it? After all she is a noob....

Meh...IDK!!
She doesn't sound like she wants to play drums enough, you need to remind her things like "the only limit is you" "if you can't imagine yourself being better, you need to work on your imagination" , it could be this idea in her head that she can't do well or it could be like I said, she doesn't want it enough and she believes that she can just "show up" in band.
CorpsVets 08' - Pit
Memphis Sound 09' - Snare
University of North Alabama 09' 10' - Snare
University of North Alabama - 11' 13'- Quads
Gateway Indoor 11' - Quads

TABtS Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:34 pm

PhantomPhan89 wrote: She doesn't sound like she wants to play drums enough, you need to remind her things like "the only limit is you" "if you can't imagine yourself being better, you need to work on your imagination" , it could be this idea in her head that she can't do well or it could be like I said, she doesn't want it enough and she believes that she can just "show up" in band.
Well I know she wants it, she is always wanting to play the tenors haha and she is excited when we have lessons, so i know that isnt the problem...And I know for a fact if i tell her "the only limit is you" all she will say back is "I Knooooww!!!" lol She does feel like she sucks...and she is new to the tenors so of course she does haha, I don't think she realizes she will get better...but she isn't giving up or anything, overall she has an optimistic view..i think lol

PhantomPhan89 Offline
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

Posted: Sun May 18, 2008 11:28 pm

just tell her to drum as much as she can outside of lessons if she's going to learn anything. You take lessons to fix things, if you go to a lesson, then get fixed but don't practiced you'll come back with the same problems if not worse.
CorpsVets 08' - Pit

layaway6 Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:04 am

this is how my high school's tenor player is, i've tried being patient with him and teaching him and he tells me he will really try but then goes on doing the exact same thing. so i don't know how to get through to him.

the worst part is that he tells everyone not in drumline/band that he is better than the whole drumline. so to the people that don't know anything about percussion, he is better than us, because they believe him. its very frustrating.

TABtS Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:42 am

layaway6 wrote:this is how my high school's tenor player is, i've tried being patient with him and teaching him and he tells me he will really try but then goes on doing the exact same thing. so i don't know how to get through to him.

the worst part is that he tells everyone not in drumline/band that he is better than the whole drumline. so to the people that don't know anything about percussion, he is better than us, because they believe him. its very frustrating.
Oh bust!! My girl knows her place though ahah she would never say she is better than anyone...but yeah its frustrating...but as a tech i cant just give up on her :P Never planned to...its just like AH! haha but then again i never practiced much between lessons and I improved....weird...

layaway6 Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:21 pm

yeah he's a prick. i never gave up on him, he just lost my respect so i stopped teaching him. i don't really consider drumming as practice for me because i love it so much, it just fun time haha

TABtS Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:48 pm

Haha, yeah basically :P

OMG ok so today I had a lesson with her, and i taped her hand to the stick and she was doing just fine and i was like YES now get the feel for that and do it...w/out the tape haha and so we took the tape off and WHAT DO YOU KNOW...........she goes right back to flying fingers haha AHH!!!

And then i made the snare captain (cuz he was giving lessons to another snare) go to deal with her cuz i was just like ..you try... haha and so for 20 minutes or so he was doing buzzes and rolls with her and he said they were decent when he was done. Then I went back to teach her and and everything he worked on with her all went down the drain... lol

is this just typical forgetting and not applying? I dont know! I was like "what do u think of when ur drumming" and she said "nothing" WHAT THE HELL!!! lol
She said she will think of her fingers, then she ends up not using enough arm, and then she thinks of her arm and forgets about her fingers....Grrr!! lol

PhantomPhan89 Offline
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:25 pm

TABtS wrote:Haha, yeah basically :P

OMG ok so today I had a lesson with her, and i taped her hand to the stick and she was doing just fine and i was like YES now get the feel for that and do it...w/out the tape haha and so we took the tape off and WHAT DO YOU KNOW...........she goes right back to flying fingers haha AHH!!!

And then i made the snare captain (cuz he was giving lessons to another snare) go to deal with her cuz i was just like ..you try... haha and so for 20 minutes or so he was doing buzzes and rolls with her and he said they were decent when he was done. Then I went back to teach her and and everything he worked on with her all went down the drain... lol

is this just typical forgetting and not applying? I dont know! I was like "what do u think of when ur drumming" and she said "nothing" WHAT THE HELL!!! lol
She said she will think of her fingers, then she ends up not using enough arm, and then she thinks of her arm and forgets about her fingers....Grrr!! lol
how old is she by the way? I wouldn't have done the taping thing, that's more of a crutch, kind of like relying on a mirror -- we use mirrors as a check but you shouldn't use it a as crutch or else you wont understand why [insert problem] is occurring even though you're correcting it.

Part of it is understanding the problem, my teacher was good about not just correcting it but making me understand why and sometimes that in itself is hard too but eventually it clicks because by the time he's explained EVERY portion of my grip I understand everything he's taught me.

You also might be going to fast on instruction, you might have to take things slower. Of course I don't know the amount of time you have to instruct so take that lightly.
CorpsVets 08' - Pit

TABtS Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:55 pm

PhantomPhan89 wrote:
how old is she by the way? I wouldn't have done the taping thing, that's more of a crutch, kind of like relying on a mirror -- we use mirrors as a check but you shouldn't use it a as crutch or else you wont understand why [insert problem] is occurring even though you're correcting it.

Part of it is understanding the problem, my teacher was good about not just correcting it but making me understand why and sometimes that in itself is hard too but eventually it clicks because by the time he's explained EVERY portion of my grip I understand everything he's taught me.

You also might be going to fast on instruction, you might have to take things slower. Of course I don't know the amount of time you have to instruct so take that lightly.
OH damn!!! We use a mirror...haha our instructor tells us to practice in a mirror...when she doesnt have a mirror she cant see what she is doing wrong... o.O

She is 14, a sophomore.
Take it slow?! haha i dont think im going fast? We work on 8 on a hand for like half the lesson so i can be able to show her how to actually hit the drum lol... I work with her for an hour on mondays and wednesdays and she has actual drumline practice on fridays, which I am there to critique her...

Maybe half the problem is me...I dont know how to show her every single angle and pressure and grip of the stick I guess....I have tried though? We have told her everthing I know...where to put her thumb, how to hold the stick, how much arm to use, how to hit the drum at different dynamic levels, the whole fulcrum thing ...i just dont know. I am also printing her sheets from Bill Bachman's "Quad Logic" which has "the 12 golden rules of tenor drumming" and it is constantly giving tips on technique and it has pics and everything...........

Meh

PhantomPhan89 Offline
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:16 pm

TABtS wrote:
PhantomPhan89 wrote:

OH *beep*!!! We use a mirror...haha our instructor tells us to practice in a mirror...when she doesnt have a mirror she cant see what she is doing wrong... o.O
don't take it as 'stop using a mirror' because that's not what I meant. By all means, USE A MIRROR in practice, but don't rely on it. If you fix something it the mirror, try to understand what you fixed instead of just fixing it...or else you will go back to your bad habits when you aren't even around a mirror.
CorpsVets 08' - Pit

TABtS Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:24 pm

yeah makes sense

JetPuFt Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 3:58 pm

try this:
video tape her playing and her fingers flying off the stick, then show it to her. she might recognize how stupid it looks and if she doesn't realize the problem, video tape her playing next to someone else who has good technique. she might get self concious of her appearance while playing and hopefully fix it. that happens to people when they realize their bad habits and get self concious so they start to hide it. maybe it works for drumming too. just a random idea i had.

at a percussion camp i went to a while ago, they were teaching this incredibly stupid technique. it was like a three-point fulcrum (index finger extended matched) 45 degree hand angle plus moeller disaster. it made no sense to me so i struggled for a while trying to learn it. so the way the guy told me to think about it was worry about learning only certain parts at a time. the order you should learn is fingers and hand placement, then wrist motion, and last arm motion. i learned it in no time.
anyways what i'm trying to say is when you're teaching her, just worry about a step at a time. just take a whole lesson and woodshed the crap out of her finger technique. her arms and wrists might not move correctly but thats fine. don't expect her to learn everything all at once. it'll come eventually. When she can finally play with great finger technique without thinking about it, talk to her about wrist motion, and so on.

i hope this helps. good luck

PhantomPhan89 Offline
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 6:41 pm

gonna move this to the instructors corner.
CorpsVets 08' - Pit

emokllrs8 Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:46 pm

TABtS wrote:I know this isnt SNARE drummers technique...but hey I need help haha.

SO

Meh...IDK!!

um. try hitting on her.lol jk.... we had a similar problem until they decided to cut her...u should ask the tenor tech at ayala high school. there whole tenor line is girls. at least for the 07 season

PhantomPhan89 Offline
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:36 pm

emokllrs8 wrote:

SO

Meh...IDK!!

um. try hitting on her.lol jk.... we had a similar problem until they decided to cut her...u should ask the tenor tech at ayala high school. there whole tenor line is girls. at least for the 07 season
That would be a low possibility, considering the fact that TABts is a girl. Plus, I know she's straight because she pm'd me one time about a guy problem.
CorpsVets 08' - Pit

AjaxHammer Offline
ROAF
ROAF

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:32 pm

TABtS wrote:Haha, yeah basically :P

well maybe she likes you. are you a dude?

she could be like into to or something. haha. jk

but no seriously.
Boston Crusaders 2011, 2012 - Snare
Jersey Surf 2010 - Snare
Surround Sound 2010 - Snare

yoshikinto Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:58 pm

PhantomPhan89 wrote:That would be a low possibility, considering the fact that TABts is a girl. Plus, I know she's straight because she pm'd me one time about a guy problem.

PhantomPhan89 Offline
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:06 pm

It makes it even more hilarious considering not only did I state that in this thread, I posted that just before his post.
CorpsVets 08' - Pit

AjaxHammer Offline
ROAF
ROAF

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:05 pm

oops. sorry. i usually dont rad all the way down when theres a bunch of threads that i havent read before.

soirry
Boston Crusaders 2011, 2012 - Snare
Jersey Surf 2010 - Snare
Surround Sound 2010 - Snare

Chris_Dakine Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:12 am

well, if you dont see any attempt of improving her technique then you should talk to your band director about cutting her because it can slow the band down. It could be because she's not practicing.