Enforcing correct technique

discuss whatever it is that instructors discuss

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

czheng Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Enforcing correct technique

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:00 pm

So, I only have 1 year of drumming experience, but I'm decent. My school started a drumline at the start of the term (it's not amazing, a few snares and a bass drum) and I'm teaching it, because we can't get an instructor that does marching percussion in my area.

Before every practice, I always tell everyone to hold the sticks properly, and show them how to. And they do, until the next practice. They are playing matched grip, as traditional grip should be taught after they are good at matched (imo)

It's quite a huge problem actually, because without proper grip playing anything harder than a single stroke roll will be a problem. How do I make it so that everyone will stick with the correct technique instead of going back to whatever's comfortable for themselves?

Thanks!
Pearl Drums
Innovative Percussion
Remo Drumheads

BSBottom5 Offline
chops master
chops master

Re: Enforcing correct technique

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:02 pm

play really easily cleaned exercises, like 8s or jedi. AND BEAT IT INTO THEM. and gradually make things more technical, while still forcing them to use the technique, eventually it will sink in.
my posts Reflects my own personal views, and not the views of my affiliations. don't associate what i say with any of my affiliations, because i am speaking for myself. they are my views, and mine alone. my opinions are my own, not my affiliates. thanks

koopthepoopscoop Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:03 pm

8's ad nauseum

czheng Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:55 pm

I do 8's like every class, while telling them all the time to keep each stroke the same height and tempo. But every time we start practice they revert back to the old technique :|
Pearl Drums
Innovative Percussion
Remo Drumheads