Drumline instructor curriculum.

discuss whatever it is that instructors discuss

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

Ivan_Tenors13 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Drumline instructor curriculum.

Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:23 pm

I Might start getting payed to teach at my old high school this coming season. :D And although i'm pretty good at working with the line when they already have everything set, i'm pretty nervous about starting a season from scratch at the beginning of the marching season.. Especially those first few days.. Any help on what my curriculum should be for the beginning of marching band season? As in drum camp, and then band camp..
NHS '06-'09:
PCC Marching Band:'10
TofR '09-'10-'11:Center Tenor
OC Independent '11: Drum Kit.
City Sound '11: Q Line

PanasonicYouth Offline
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Drumline instructor curriculum.

Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:30 pm

This would be helpful to me, too. We lost our main tech, but we had a lot to build off of from last season since we only lost one senior. Now we're losing four, so we have to build the line up again, starting right after this season ends.

EKU_Drummer Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:58 pm

Well, coming from a relatively new tech (only one season under my belt, lol) I would suggest beginning by isolating any members that can't read music and focus on that the most. Especially if they're on the bass line. Nothing sucks more than hearing a bass solo all over the place.

And I would definitely work on establishing who is in control. If your fresh out of high school and all the people on your line are your buddies, it's gonna be pretty difficult to keep them disciplined. You have to establish your authority, preferably without being a dick.

After that, just drill all your exercises into their heads, make sure they practice rudiments, and clean and polish the show music.

I'm not too organized myself, obviously, lol. Any other tips?

Creekynoise Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:10 pm

EKU_Drummer wrote:Nothing sucks more than hearing a bass solo all over the place.
Oh man, so very true. :|
Percussionist
'04 - Present

Instructor
'11 - Present

sxetnrdrmr Offline

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:59 pm

coming from someone who has been doing it for 22 years now I have two words:

ESTABLISH DISCIPLINE!!!!!

I can't stress this enough. Establish how you want them to stand, sit, eat, practice, rehearse etc. Visaulize how you want practices to run and then establish expectations. We define everything here at school. What to do before you play; what you do at the end of the rep; how you walk out to the field (in block hopefully) etc.; how you set your backpacks when you are practicing; how you fold your uniform top, and where to place it while you are in arc; how to act when in public. EVery detail is set and practiced. The kids really take pride in the perception they get when we are "in the lot" because if you look bad-ass, you will play bad-ass, no exceptions. All I have to do is show them a drum corps practice, and then say "copy that".

After this start with fundamental playing stuff - 8's, basic double exercises etc. After establishing discipline in everything BUT the hands, then you establish discipline in the hands. MAKE SURE TO GET THEM THE MUSIC ABOUT 2 MONTHS AHEAD OF TIME. This sets you up for consistent, organized rehearsals for the rest of the time. If they know what is expected everytime the drum is on, than they will achieve more. Explain how knowing what happens in the fundamental warm-up package translates into their music. Remind them that they are only hurting themselves by not learning music or keeping up. ALSO use peer pressure to discipline. The best thing I ever did was to encourage the kids that are doing the work to make sure that the kids that aren't doing the work feel uncomfortable about not hanging. To the point where the slackers either man it up or quit.

Also, involve the students in setting a level of success they want to achieve, and make them monitor it. Ask them "Do we want to be bad-ass or half-ass? It is up to you, not me". Ultimately it is directly up to the kids for the end result. You can only monitor and remind, but you can't get into each kids brain and fire the neurons.
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

Its' All about the Parking Lot - Watterson Drumline
www.bishopwattersondrumline.webs.com
OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans

Ivan_Tenors13 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:37 pm

Good advice man. thanks! How do you instructors out there run your auditions?
NHS '06-'09:
PCC Marching Band:'10
TofR '09-'10-'11:Center Tenor
OC Independent '11: Drum Kit.
City Sound '11: Q Line