teaching a new student from scratch

discuss whatever it is that instructors discuss

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

littlesnareboy Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

teaching a new student from scratch

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:28 pm

I have a student that wants to learn to play drums. She has no musical experience at all (I think she's looked at a drum once. . .). It's my policy not to turn anybody down if they're willing to work hard. I've already told her what she needs to buy (slimpad, metronome, still deciding on sticks since she has smaller hands). My question is what do I do first? Do I teach her to read music first? Do I teach her how to approach the drum first? Do I meld the two together?

Also, how strict should I be with her in the beginning? All of my students at least knew how to read music before they came to me. . .
Chris
SLD 05 Plates Music of Styx
SLD 06 Plates Music of the Moody Blues
SLD 07 Snare (finally) A Latin Experience
SLD 08 Center Snare La Nouba
Carolina Gold 07 Snare Deja Vu

Timartin Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Re: teaching a new student from scratch

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:19 pm

I started off with approach to the drum, technique, strokes and the look you want. Then give her music to reinforce her technique, this will also help her learn to read music. You'll just have to go very slow with her.
Glassmen Snare - 12
Matrix Snare - 13, 14

EKU_Drummer Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Re: teaching a new student from scratch

Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:04 pm

^This pretty much. Putting the two together is the best approach in my opinion. It does you no good to be able to play Tornado if you can't read it. If you can't read, you can't clean and isolate problems.

On the other hand, being able to read music is also useless if you can't play the instrument. Make sure she knows proper grip, how to play through the drum, and other basic things like that. I suggest starting her out on matched grip first, but that's your call.

Edit: Changed a "can" to a "can't." Now it makes sense, lol.