How to get a job as an instructor?

discuss whatever it is that instructors discuss

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

Spontaneous Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

How to get a job as an instructor?

Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:01 pm

So this is my last year of high school and the chances of me being able to march somewhere this summer is very low. I have a lot of things going on right now, like all-state percussion ensemble, 2 orchestras, and all my high school band stuff, as well as preparing for college auditions. I doubt any corps will want to take me on since I will be missing a lot of rehearsals. So this summer I wont have much going on. I've always been interested in becoming a drumline instructor, but never though I would pursue it till after college. Since I won't have anything going on this summer I thought it would be nice to find a line to be an instructor for. The only problem is that I'm not sure how to address a band director about a position as their drumline instructor. I don't want to become the instructor at my school, so that is out of the question. Any ideas on how to get this gig? Especially from those of you who are instructing.

sQuiGglyMuFflYWiGS Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re: How to get a job as an instructor?

Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:06 pm

Ask your band director to get in contact with the directors of other ensambles and ask if they need any people on staff.
Norristown Drumline
04-09: Bottom Bass/cymbals
United Percussion
2010-2012: Bass 5, 3, 2
Reading Buccaneers
2010: Bass 3
2013: Bass 1
Carolina Crown
2011: Bass 4
Imperial Dynasty
2013: Bass 3
Teal Sound
BassTech 7/9/2012

ConorD Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:54 pm

Creep on the internet and find email addresses for directors of schools with indoor lines. That's a good way to get your feet wet in the program and give you a better shot at getting in on the fall line.

sxetnrdrmr Offline

Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:23 pm

figure out where some of the smaller, or rurual schools are that seem to be trying to build a program, and just call the school. ALot of times those guys are looking for people who will do a line for cheap or free. Don't expect to get payed, but DO expect to get the experience that will get you payed later on. There are quite a few schools here in Ohio that are in the situation so I expect it is like that all over.

Also, be ready to deal with kids that do not want you to be there b/c they might not have been expected to work for someone. Mentaly prepare for every scenario. If you come from a line that has always had an instructor, and was always organized, you are in the minority of situations, so think about how you can motivate a group of people who might be apathetic.

Also, start looking right now. And maybe go in with the idea that you will start working with a group in the spring - like pre-camps etc - to get them ready. if you sort of have a plan, a prospective director might be impressed. Even enough to pay you some money
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

Its' All about the Parking Lot - Watterson Drumline
www.bishopwattersondrumline.webs.com
OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans

LpZil91 Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:28 am

Start Networking yourself, introduce yourself to directors and caption heads at shows, send emails to people to get your name out there.

Also let band directors know you'd be happy to be a tech for free, thats lets the directors know that you really wanna teach, and plus you'll probably get some compensation in the end anyway.
Abington H.S
08' Tenors/Drum Captain[/i]

Cheltenham H.S

09'-10' Tenor Instructor

FishMan Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:37 am

Yea alot of it is who you know. That's how I get most of my work. So get to knowing people.

FiveAndUhSixUh Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:45 am

Like everybody has been saying, it's all about networking. Ask your current percussion instructor if they know anybody who could use an extra hand.

Also, when you get into a college music program, you're going to meet a lot of guys who tech at local high schools who might be willing to help you out. That's how I got my current gig.
ASU Snare 2009-2011
Academy Snare 2010
Mosaic Snare 2011
Dark Sky Percussion Snare 2012
Arizona Cardinals Snare