Setting Up Finale or Sibelius FAQ

discuss whatever it is that instructors discuss

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

Wynder Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Setting Up Finale or Sibelius FAQ

Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:27 pm

I'm trying to get a software solution squared away, so I'm appealing to you guys out there who run outdoor and indoor programs to setup one of the two major notation programs specifically for writing battery parts. If anyone can offer insights or advice into getting things setup for writing, please feel free to reply and add, as I don't know most of these myself...

1) How do I change the dynamics of a specific articulation? For example, using the legato mark as my 6" accent, an accent mark for my 9" and a marcato for my 12" accents.

Finale: Select the "Articulation Tool" and click on the desired articulation. Click the "Edit" button. Under "Playback Effect," make sure that "Change Velocity" is selected and change the percentage to the desired amount. Try, 133%, 166% and 200% respectively to change the volume of those notes to which the articulation is applied.

2) Sometimes my accent marks go below the note instead of above.

Finale: Select the "Articulation Tool" and click on the desired articulation. Click the "Edit" button. Under "Positioning" select "Above Note" from the Position drop down.

3) How do I change the stem direction to be all up?

Finale: Select the Staff Tool and double click on the staff to view the attributes. In the "Items to Display" area, click on the "Stem Settings" button and you'll be able to set the stems to "Always Up."

4) How do I configure Virtual Drumline?

5) How do I map different note heads to different sounds? For instance, the open note for a full shot and the open triangle for a ping gack.

6) How do I map different sounds to different notes? Ride cymbals, high hat etc.

7) What's the best way to configure playback to get the flams, rolls and diddles properly articulated?

Any others -- feel free to add or answer and I'll throw them up.
'91-'94 Jersey Surf Drumline
'95 Westshoremen Snareline
'06, '10 Westshoremen Alumni Corps
'09 Talon Drumline (Philadelphia Eagles)
National Judges Association (TOB/TIA Since '09)
'10 Imperial Sound Drum Corps, Percussion Arranger/Caption Head