Great players, but dirty line.

discuss whatever it is that instructors discuss

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

donovan Offline
noob
noob

Great players, but dirty line.

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:35 pm

I have 4 solid snare players. They have slightly different techniques, but i don't think that's the biggest issue with their dirtyness. I think its the way I am tuning their drums. We use Yamaha sfz 13" with black max on top and falam II on bottom. In the past, I have been tuning the drums very high/tight and it exposes any imperfection. I tried to adjust by drying them out and loosening the snares on bottom, but that didn't really help either. Any help with tuning techniques with be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Star.of.indiana Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Re: Great players, but dirty line.

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:43 pm

Some of the dirt has to be in technique. if the technique is not the same then fuzz occurs. and the tunning parts....its all about the bottom head. if your a perfectionist like me heres wht u could do.
1.)replace bottom head
2.)use criss-cross pattern to tighten the heads
(make sure the head has same pitch all the way
around the drum.)
3.)alright ....now for the snares. put a pencil between the snares and head. then push the clamp down to tighen snares bk up.
4.) then tighten and tune snares to the same pitch.
5.) loosen clamp and take the pencil out. close the clamp. tighten snares one more revolution each again.

but then again man alot of it is techn. in the long run.
we have a new sophmore snare that has alot of moeller techn. and that just causes dirt out the ying yang. so if any of ur guys play set...tell em to work on their down stroke!!!! haha but yea if u use this method its very high tuned snares that need very high developed hands. hoped this helped.

avisupchurch Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:45 pm

That pencil trick is nice... I usually tune the guts individually, but with the pencil could be much more precise. And you've probably already spent the money on the kevlar bottom heads, but you may want to think about plastic down there instead... that might help thicken up the sound a bit and hide the dirt. And I get the impression from your post that the dirt you're hearing is coming from exposed imperfections in the playing. If so, try to hide it by going for more of a wet sound. If the playing really is fine and the beats are together, then follow Star's suggestion on the tuning. But you might need to come up with some sort of experiment to determine where the problem really lies... i dunno. When you get a chance, take those guys/girls back to square one with the technique and get them to all play with the same approach. But it's already late October, so, probably too late in the marching band season for that. Maybe for Indoor?

UHSnare45 Offline
Jeff Queen
Jeff Queen

Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:57 pm

use mylar for the bottom. should fix your problem
UHS-Snare '09-'12(SL)
AAMB 2013 - Snare