Tenor Player Problems

discuss whatever it is that instructors discuss

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

dcidrummer01 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Tenor Player Problems

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:44 am

So this year on my line we have two tenor players. One is doing excellent and learning the music and progressing in the show. But the other one is not doing anything and its starting to piss me off. He said that he would have made a BIG progress in the show by now but hes gone about 10 measures in. I went over to his house to help him and he cant read the music real well and is having trouble seeing what I'm playing then applying it to himself. Those 10 measures that he has down took us three hours! What do you think I should do to help him and motivate him? :?

Thanks...
I wish my grass was emo so it would cut itself!!!

CaptainCancelled Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Re: Tenor Player Problems

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:12 am

I say let your instructor know, not as a negative thing, but simply a way that when they go over music, they can show it to him, and make sure he understands it. Maybe both the tenor players should get together and one helps the other out.
PAWNchin', LAWNchin', BRAWNchin', MAWNchin', SCRAWNchin', BAWNchin', HAWNchin' and CRAWNchin'.

Spontaneous Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:56 pm

dcidrummer01 wrote:So this year on my line we have two tenor players. One is doing excellent and learning the music and progressing in the show. But the other one is not doing anything and its starting to *beep* me off. He said that he would have made a BIG progress in the show by now but hes gone about 10 measures in. I went over to his house to help him and he cant read the music real well and is having trouble seeing what I'm playing then applying it to himself. Those 10 measures that he has down took us three hours! What do you think I should do to help him and motivate him? :?

Thanks...
Took my quad player three months to learn 17 measure of a 84 piece. And he still can only play it 80% of the time correctly.

Anyways, you'll here a lot of people give you advice of stuff you can do. But the sad truth there isn't much that will work. Some people, especially in a high school, have no drive in life. When things get tough they throw it to the side and put it in the boring or stupid category.

Probably not what you were looking to hear. But it's a fact I had to face. And believe me I tried many different things. I use to give very motivational "talkings" to my line all the time.
Throw his ass on cymbals while you can.

drummerc Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:07 pm

How're these people on batter then?
drumer93 wrote:Dude, I hear the blue devils are playing jazz...

lol.

dcidrummer01 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:09 pm

drummerc wrote:How're these people on batter then?
well during auditions he seemed a sure thing and he said he would practice everyday...but all of that went down the toilet
I wish my grass was emo so it would cut itself!!!

doublebassheeltoe Offline
Jeff Queen
Jeff Queen

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:27 pm

In 2007 and 2008 I had to teach my center tenor the book by playing it for him because he didn't know how to read music until the end of 2008.
There's no way around reality, and there's no way to fix things that have already happened. It is what it is, we are what we are, and there is nothing more to life than that. Rule #9.

FatGocks Offline
ROAF
ROAF

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:28 pm

doublebassheeltoe wrote:In 2007 and 2008 I had to teach my center tenor the book by playing it for him because he didn't know how to read music until the end of 2008.
Nick Cannon!?
Troop '10

Boston '11-'12

I don't wanna sound like a queer or nothin', but I think unicorns are kick asss.

doublebassheeltoe Offline
Jeff Queen
Jeff Queen

Pretty much.
There's no way around reality, and there's no way to fix things that have already happened. It is what it is, we are what we are, and there is nothing more to life than that. Rule #9.

koopthepoopscoop Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

FatGocks wrote:
doublebassheeltoe wrote:In 2007 and 2008 I had to teach my center tenor the book by playing it for him because he didn't know how to read music until the end of 2008.
Nick Cannon!?
lulz

Spontaneous Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:47 pm

dcidrummer01 wrote:
drummerc wrote:How're these people on batter then?
well during auditions he seemed a sure thing and he said he would practice everyday...but all of that went down the toilet
Believe me... I know exactly how you feel, because my quad player is the exact same way. It really does suck. I use to walk out of rehearsal every day so pissed off. Now I just walk out of rehearsal frustrated. Big difference for me at least.

PanasonicYouth Offline
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:14 pm

FatGocks wrote:
Nick Cannon!?
Aaaagh, you beat me to it.

My other tenor has the same kind of problem, but not quite as bad. He has a lot of trouble interpreting arounds off paper, but when I'm there to make it visual for him along with the music, we get through it really quickly. Honestly, it's something that takes a lot of time and developing of listening skills. While many of us can look at a sheet of drum music and at least be able to hear it in our heads, we've all been there, when trying to read rhythms was nearly impossible, not to mention arounds for us tenors.

Just keep getting him help, and he'll start to progress. It took my guy a while to get it, but at least he's now at the point where if I show him the around, it's learned pretty fast and the music is just a quick reference tool.