noob

From an instructors point of view...

Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:07 pm

Our line is small this year...
3 basses (maybe 4)
2 snares
1 quad
It's ridiculous.
I can't believe people don't like band, they think we do nothing. They just don't know how much fun it is. We need to get to state this year, maybe more people will join. Most likely, I'll be section leader next year, and I want a good solid clean line.

Any suggestions? :(

koopthepoopscoop Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Re: From an instructors point of view...

Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:15 pm

BanHammer wrote:Our line is small this year...
3 basses (maybe 4)
2 snares
1 quad
It's ridiculous.
I can't believe people don't like band, they think we do nothing. They just don't know how much fun it is. We need to get to state this year, maybe more people will join. Most likely, I'll be section leader next year, and I want a good solid clean line.

lol play well

vivi767 Offline

Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:16 pm

our line is looking like
1 snare
2 quads
??? Basses

last year, we went
1 snare
2 quads
3 basses

Hi, I'm Raul, and I have 3 kidneys.

Impulse IQ 2010

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_i ... 621038c747" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
^^^^^view for more info

DrummerGirl247 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:22 pm

Wow. My high school is two average size high schools connected at the library, so we have:
3 snares
3 tenors
5 basses
3 cymbals
Gigantic pit.
Brentwood High School Marching Band '09-'11 - Snare
Sunrisers Drum and Bugle Corps '11 - Snare

FCHSsnare2011 Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:22 pm

our line keeps shrinking every year cause people wont stop breaking our drums. snares went from 5 to 3, tenors 3 to 2, basses still 5 within a rate of 2 years. we want new drums SO BAD!!!! but the people who used them before abused them and were not getting new ones anytime soon. crap.
Georgia State University: Snare (2012)
Fayette County High School: (2007-2011)

koopthepoopscoop Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:29 pm

FCHSsnare2011 wrote:our line keeps shrinking every year cause people wont stop breaking our drums. snares went from 5 to 3, tenors 3 to 2, basses still 5 within a rate of 2 years. we want new drums SO BAD!!!! but the people who used them before abused them and were not getting new ones anytime soon. crap.
How bad is the damage?

madchops Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:58 pm

id suggest have your tech/battery coordinator write a tough book and play it clean, focus on all the little stuff and youll be good

im snare teching for a line thats 3 snares 2 tenors and 5 basses, book has its difficult parts that i can hardly play, but some stuff that is so simple my dog could play it, but it sounds good

just make everything sound good, make the judge want to bob his head to it

drummerc Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:33 pm

DrummerGirl247 wrote:Wow. My high school is two average size high schools connected at the library, so we have:
3 snares
3 tenors
5 basses
3 cymbals
Gigantic pit.
Do you guys not have enough instruments (battery instrument) like snare wise?
or can the pit members not march or what
drumer93 wrote:Dude, I hear the blue devils are playing jazz...

lol.

Dcifreak88 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:41 pm

Size shouldn't be too much of an issue. If you can play with a clean sound. You will be good no matter, however numbers do help. If your lines are small, try recruiting and show other students that its fun and not embarrassing. That's usually why kids quit band, that or they don't want to work.

DrummerGirl247 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:37 am

drummerc wrote:
DrummerGirl247 wrote:Wow. My high school is two average size high schools connected at the library, so we have:
3 snares
3 tenors
5 basses
3 cymbals
Gigantic pit.
Do you guys not have enough instruments (battery instrument) like snare wise?
or can the pit members not march or what
Most of the people in the pit have no experience playing any percussion instrument. They're usually in orchestra or nothing at all, but they want to be in the marching band. So they're thrown in pit. We have a bad system.
Brentwood High School Marching Band '09-'11 - Snare
Sunrisers Drum and Bugle Corps '11 - Snare

Bluecoats Snare Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:55 am

We have 3 Snares, 2 Tenors, and 4 Basses and a large pit. Our entire pit (With the exception of the Section Leader) are freshmen who played other instruments (Non Percussion) in middle school. We have a lot of important Pit Percussion parts so they asked freshmen from other sections if they would like to be in the pit.
High School Marching Band:
Northwest Rankin High School - Snare Line (2009)

Novak Offline

Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:46 pm

Last year my line had two quads, three snares, four bass drums, and three cymbals. It was also my best year on the drumline and one of the cleanest. Larger numbers don't necessarily mean it will be better and more fun.

I understand where your coming from. I think almost everyone would love to have a full line that could play clean and just have a good time. But that can't always happen. So just enjoy the beats and friendship that you have already.

And as far as people thinking you do nothing as a member of a marching band...well...ignorance is bliss :P
Andrew Novak
All Hail LQ

ChickenLips Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:52 pm

Novak wrote:Larger numbers don't necessarily mean it will be better and more fun.
I agree with this statement.

ErnieBall_snare92 Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:06 pm

It really doesn't matter how big the line is. Ours is 2 snares 2 quads 4 basses and 3 cymbals and we have a really fun but challenging book. As long as it's clean it should be a good year. In my opinion its the book not the size of the line that matters.

ChickenLips Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:16 pm

ErnieBall_snare92 wrote:It really doesn't matter how big the line is. Ours is 2 snares 2 quads 4 basses and 3 cymbals and we have a really fun but challenging book. As long as it's clean it should be a good year. In my opinion its the book not the size of the line that matters.
This is true. Our instructor puts a really big line (6 snares, 4 tenors, 5 basses this year) on the field for marching season, but when indoor rolls around, he'll cut it down to 4 snares, 3 tenors, 5 basses, or something close to that. I see why he does it, he likes to get as many kids up and drumming as he can, but it's just really hard to clean and it feels kind of like he has to keep his writing a little conservative so that we will be able to clean it.

dblSnare Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:08 pm

my line is 1 snare 1 tenor and 3 basses with a pit of 2...... we came in 2nd place in class 1a and we beat all the 2a lines minuse one (that had only an amazing pit) and we beat a few 3a lines also.....so yea size dosnt matter...oh did i mention we have no instructure?? its just me an the tenor player lmao

Wynder Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:40 pm

You gotta look at it from the perspective of a recruitment drive -- get a Flip HD cam or something and make some videos... cool angles, cool playing and show a few shenanigans. Cut it together with some thrash metal interspersed and put up a table with a signup sheet.

Do it at lunch, before home room, after class -- do what you can to try to show people what it is you do and how much fun it can be.
'91-'94 Jersey Surf Drumline
'95 Westshoremen Snareline
'06, '10 Westshoremen Alumni Corps
'09 Talon Drumline (Philadelphia Eagles)
National Judges Association (TOB/TIA Since '09)
'10 Imperial Sound Drum Corps, Percussion Arranger/Caption Head

Chris_Dakine Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:24 pm

This years line for me is
7 Snares / 4 Tenors / 5 Bass / 6 Cymbals / 20 Pit Percussion

Next year im guessing
4-5 Snares / 4-3 Tenors / 5 Bass / 5 Cymbals / ?? Pit Percussion

We have big numbers but the musical skills of the freshman are decreasing since the old middle school band director retired. If you guys are planning on getting more people in MB, you should go down to the middle school in your area to help out the incoming freshman and persuade them to join. Sometimes i wish my line was small though because I honestly don't know all the people in the drumline and the seasons almost over. lol. Also it's much harder to clean up sections and add visuals because some people aren't practicing, not listening, wasting time, etc.

GaDrummer Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:28 pm

BanHammer wrote:Our line is small this year...
3 basses (maybe 4)
2 snares
1 quad
It's ridiculous.

umm summer rehearsals are your best bet
AHS
05-06 - Bass
07-10 - Snare

Faulkner University
11 - Snare

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001460247918" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ooshbala Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:47 pm

madchops wrote:im snare teching for a line thats 3 snares 2 tenors and 5 basses, book has its difficult parts that i can hardly play, but some stuff that is so simple my dog could play it, but it sounds good
so your teching... and you can hardly play some stuff in your book? how on earth do you expect your line to play stuff clean if you, their jedi master, can barely play it? not a mark against you... juzt sayin...