Snare - Back to Basics

discuss whatever it is that instructors discuss

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

PanasonicYouth Offline
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

Snare - Back to Basics

Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:19 pm

Alright, so I'm pretty much going to be left in charge of the snares next year, if not the whole line, due to our instructor possibly leaving. As the only one (our instructor is a tenor player) who's had some kind of "experience" on snare - "experience" meaning formal teaching from a bunch of corps auditions and workshops - I'm taking the liberty of bringing my snares all the way back to basics before next season. They already play somewhat clean together, so once I fix their technique, I know they'll play clean almost all the time.

So with that, I have to ask, what exactly should I address? I'm mostly self-taught, so I'm not exactly sure how to teach the most basic parts of snare drumming, despite the camps I've been to. Please, if you can, break it down as much as possible, whatever you decide to give me.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

TheDude Offline
grammar sheriff
grammar sheriff

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:43 am

If Descartes was right, you wouldn't exist.

PanasonicYouth Offline
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:38 pm

*facepalm*

I keep forgetting there's more than a forum and snare breaks here.

Dan.Diaz.Music Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Starting Fresh

Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:01 am

Bro... Listen. I know exactly where you are at, but honestly that's how i learned all i know.

First off, you have to establish the leadership and respect. Tell them I'm Here to help you if you guys respect me.

Next, You have to be the most diligent and hard worker on the line. First to know and ace the book, first to get to your drill spot or set up for ensemble time. They can't respect you if you don't earn it.

For instructions, man don't assume its back to basic.s Now it is too late to change what your staff has implemented. Make sure that you don't go all "this is the way its gonna be now." Defend what you've been taught, and believe that its the right way, so they support it.

If you're running warm ups, do it as if a tech was there. Set the met next to your feet and the long ranger or speaker right near by.

Have the packet ready to go, so you show them that your not looking to waste a season.

You're packet should include (though you probably already know):

Eights- a legato 8 on a hand exercise to extend and stretch all the muscles in the wrists, forearms, and fingers. Try this with crescendos, decrescendos, and all different tap heights. from 3-6-9-12-15, but starting at full out of course.

An accent Tap- This will help define the notes played of the field or floor, by differentiating the accents and taps for more stick control and musicality.

Double Beat- this is one of the most important exercises you can play, period. If you cant play a double beat, you cant play diddles. Make sure the schools technique is set on how you stroke your diddles when open. and take it at all levels of BPMS of course.

Rolls - whether its a 16 note, preferably a triplet roll, or 8th note roll exercise, this is important. now that the fundamentals of the diddle have been warmed up with a double beat. Its time you put them in context with an exercise, and more importantly, learn to listen and play clean.

Of course from here you can add flam, timing, and hybrid exercises, but don't get to out of control. Than YOU have to clean them.

Most importantly as an inline instructor, never be afraid to cut an exercise when its falling under or people are ticking. The best way for your peers to improve, is by another peer on the same level calling them out.

New to the forums, but feel free to ask anything man. Asking is the best way to learn.

Dan
Dan Diaz
Palm Beach County, Florida

Fall season 2009's

William T. Dwyer Percussion Instructor

Palm Beach Central High School Bass Tech

OMS Percussion Instructor

Justin Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re: Starting Fresh

Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:21 pm

Dan.Diaz.Music wrote: Dan
Ugh hate the "brought hom the gold picture" That uniform never looked good on me.

Anyways what he said is about 98% correct, he forgot stick control though.

Plus dude knows whats he talking about, he can lead lines to victory, you know?
The smarter the drummer, the better the performance.

PanasonicYouth Offline
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:47 pm

Alright Dan, thanks, but I basically have all this stuff set. I understand and greatly appreciate this, but it's a little farther back than I need. I'm already section leader, well-respected (I like to think), and we have our exercise book, other things to come depending on what goes into the show book. As far as discipline, we run pretty smoothly and cut on our own immediately if there's so much as a bad attack, so that's taken care of.

The real problem here is that our tech taught a minimal amount of snare technique because, well, he never played snare. I don't really mean going back to basics as in changing everything they know, but rather teaching them proper technique to reinforce what they do know. That's where my real question is. I play tenors and snare, but I myself have not had much snare instruction. I have decent technique and sound quality, but it's a bit difficult for me to dictate to them what I want them to do.

So yeah, to sum it up, we're pretty self-sufficient - I just need to address their technique. Would it be advisable to use a corps audition packet as a sort of guide? I plan on checking their playing out and even asking them what kind of technique they'd prefer, as I have a few packets at my disposal.

Justin Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:00 am

PanasonicYouth wrote:Alright Dan, thanks, but I basically have all this stuff set. I understand and greatly appreciate this, but it's a little farther back than I need. I'm already section leader, well-respected (I like to think), and we have our exercise book, other things to come depending on what goes into the show book. As far as discipline, we run pretty smoothly and cut on our own immediately if there's so much as a bad attack, so that's taken care of.

The real problem here is that our tech taught a minimal amount of snare technique because, well, he never played snare. I don't really mean going back to basics as in changing everything they know, but rather teaching them proper technique to reinforce what they do know. That's where my real question is. I play tenors and snare, but I myself have not had much snare instruction. I have decent technique and sound quality, but it's a bit difficult for me to dictate to them what I want them to do.

So yeah, to sum it up, we're pretty self-sufficient - I just need to address their technique. Would it be advisable to use a corps audition packet as a sort of guide? I plan on checking their playing out and even asking them what kind of technique they'd prefer, as I have a few packets at my disposal.
I would use a corps technique that they can pick up fast, and then go from there. Because

1. You'll be using a technique that has purposes ( better sound quality, control ).

2. Usually packets have instructions on how to learn the technique, rather then you yourself trying to explain it.

doublebassheeltoe Offline
Jeff Queen
Jeff Queen

Posted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:29 am

Get the Blue Devils book. It's how you play, so tell everyone to buy it.

Emphasize the importance of the left hand being as flexible, as full, and receiving as much turnout as the right hand. That's the biggest thing with me, being the serious snare player that I am.
There's no way around reality, and there's no way to fix things that have already happened. It is what it is, we are what we are, and there is nothing more to life than that. Rule #9.

Dan.Diaz.Music Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Sat May 02, 2009 11:49 am

Seems like were all on the same page now bro ha.

I'm happy for you that your not that far in reverse bro. Packets are certainly the best thing for you, and yes give them the option. I'd avoid any ensemble that uses a very unique technique, although... Blue Coats is unique but very appealing. For example, stay away from Boston Crusaders... It will be to hard to teach that technique, i swear Carmentes makes his stuff up so no one can use it.

Once you have the style and technique that you guys have agreed too. Make sectional time isn't just for notes when your doin upper battery sectionals man. A MIRROR is you're absolute best friend for rehearsal. A big window, a mirror someone brings in. Anything to match. Good luck man.

And justin, GJ my little Prodigy. =]
Dan Diaz

Fall season 2009's

Justin Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:15 pm

Dan.Diaz.Music wrote:Seems like were all on the same page now bro ha.

I'm happy for you that your not that far in reverse bro. Packets are certainly the best thing for you, and yes give them the option. I'd avoid any ensemble that uses a very unique technique, although... Blue Coats is unique but very appealing. For example, stay away from Boston Crusaders... It will be to hard to teach that technique, i swear Carmentes makes his stuff up so no one can use it.

Once you have the style and technique that you guys have agreed too. Make sectional time isn't just for notes when your doin upper battery sectionals man. A MIRROR is you're absolute best friend for rehearsal. A big window, a mirror someone brings in. Anything to match. Good luck man.

Pfft, stuff like this is easy, getting someone to change their attitude is hard.

Dan.Diaz.Music Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:23 pm

Hell said. A mentality of wanting to accept anything new, and or wanting to continue without instruction... All feeds off there hunger. The hunger to learn win, the hunger to learn, whether it be there music or RCC 09. Its all off hunger man. Best of luck
Dan Diaz

Fall season 2009's

PanasonicYouth Offline
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

Posted: Sat May 02, 2009 4:47 pm

Justin wrote:
Dan.Diaz.Music wrote:Seems like were all on the same page now bro ha.

Pfft, stuff like this is easy, getting someone to change their attitude is hard.
Nah, I don't have any attitude problems here. Maybe slight laziness at times, but nothing that can't be dealt with.

So, I'll ask them first, but I'm pretty sure we'll go with BD technique since that's closer to our "technique" and musical style at the moment.