writing to horns parts

discuss whatever it is that instructors discuss

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

littlesnareboy Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

writing to horns parts

Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:36 pm

Hey, I'm new at writing altogether but I can write sprees and exercises pretty okay. I've never written to horn parts before, could somebody give me some advice on this?
Chris
SLD 05 Plates Music of Styx
SLD 06 Plates Music of the Moody Blues
SLD 07 Snare (finally) A Latin Experience
SLD 08 Center Snare La Nouba
Carolina Gold 07 Snare Deja Vu

avsnare Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Re: writing to horns parts

Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:49 pm

littlesnareboy wrote:Hey, I'm new at writing altogether but I can write sprees and exercises pretty okay. I've never written to horn parts before, could somebody give me some advice on this?
don't put any cheeses in your horn part
Cherokee Drumline
08 bass 4
09 center snare/el capitan

Raiders 2010

Novak Offline

Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:48 pm

littlesnareboy wrote:Hey, I'm new at writing altogether but I can write sprees and exercises pretty okay. I've never written to horn parts before, could somebody give me some advice on this?
Well what specifically are looking at writing? Show music, warm-ups, arranging?
Andrew Novak
All Hail LQ

rudlka89 Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:53 pm

I sort of find this question fairly vague, more or less.

:o
NEW BOARD-APPROVED CODE: "Retard" and its variants are now replaced by "SCV." "Homosexual" and its variants, "Phantom." "Go kill yourself" and its variants, "Go watch Phantom Regiment."

littlesnareboy Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:36 pm

Sorry about the vagueness. I'm helping with my high school's drumline until I go off to college, and I was asked to write the show music for the battery. I've never written show music before but I've written cadences and exercises. I've never had to make music match the horns before.
Chris

snare13 Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:54 pm

avsnare wrote:
don't put any cheeses in your horn part

:lol:
PASIC 2005: 13th place High School Snare
PASIC 2007: 10th place High School Snare
Russell High School Drumline Instructor
www.myspace.com/daddyhall
www.rudimentaldrumming.com

gretch89 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:01 pm

Ok, I would suggest writing your bass parts first, that way you have a way to melodically back up your brass sections. Then go from there, I personally specilize in writing snare parts, so I would write the snare part to the bass part, and so on and so forth until your entire battery section part is written.

Are you also writing for the auxillary percussion? If so, simply back up what the band as a whole is doing with effects (shakers, timbales, concert bass, etc.). Personally, I don't write mallet parts, so you would have to work with someone who knows how to write in harmonies and such ( I would recommend working with the composer or arranger of the piece your writing too).

Hope this helps!

8)

brsnare308 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:02 pm

listen a lot to the piece and write something that you think will fit. then play through it and make changes. theres going to be a lot of trial and error but it pays off.
BRHS Pit 2006
BRHS Snare 2007
BRHS Snare 2008
BRHS Drum Major 2009

AWA Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops
Location: West Deptford, New Jersey, The United States of America, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:34 pm

In order of importance:

1.) Unison basses. Make them match up (relatively) with horn moments. See the very end of the Cavaliers 2008 show for an example.

2.) Snare book. Wirte a rhythmically interesting and fun-to-play book. Don't worry about getting it perfect, you will tweak it later.

3.) Split basses. In general, this should be a slightly watered-down, split snare book.

4.) Tenor book. For the most part, you want it to rhythmically match the snare book. However, you now have more melodic options. Try and mirror a bit of the split bass book. Remember, with tenors, you have a gigantic variety of timbres available, from normal strokes to shots to skanks to muffles to dreads to rims to... (much later) ...sticks to mallets to OGD's. Have fun, but don't get too far away from the basic rhythmic integrity of the snare book.

5.) Tweak. Edit. Clean. Revise. There WILL be parts of your book you don't like when it all fits together. Change them. If you don't like them, then a judge will not like them.

6.) Take a moment to sit back and bask in your work. It's a good feeling finishing a high-quality work.

My $0.13, accounting for inflation.

Also, could you hit me up with the horn score? I won't release it to anyone, I just want to practice writing parts (I generally write line-only pieces). I'll send you anything I write, and maybe give you some ideas on the way. If you decide to send me the score, please send it in in a .sib file to my email address, which is located in my signature. Thanks!

Edit: If you're looking for a pit arranger, I'd be glad supply ideas or even a book.
2007 - 2010: West Deptford High School (07-08 FE, 09-10 quads)
2013: Spirit of Atlanta (Marimba)
2014: Bluecoats (Vibraphone)

-Glenn Dawson

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."

littlesnareboy Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:20 pm

Thanks, but I'm more than likely going to quit as the instructor there, the kids are far to misbehaved and the BD doesn't believe in punishment for bad behaivor.
Chris

AWA Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops
Location: West Deptford, New Jersey, The United States of America, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:02 pm

Alright, good luck finding a new gig.

If you do get one, hit me up, kthx. Leal.
2007 - 2010: West Deptford High School (07-08 FE, 09-10 quads)
2013: Spirit of Atlanta (Marimba)
2014: Bluecoats (Vibraphone)

-Glenn Dawson

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."