How to smoothly transfer through your warmup packet

discuss whatever it is that instructors discuss

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

Bassguy Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

How to smoothly transfer through your warmup packet

Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:48 pm

After taking place in marching percussion for the past 5 years, I have started to teach and, with help from three of my istructors, have found a very effective way to go through a warm up sequence while applying everything, little at a time. First allow me to tell you about my instructors.
I: Bluecoats snare '04-'06 Cadets next to center snare '08 Rhythm X snare ?-'09 ('09 center)
II: Bluecoats tenors '04-'06 Cadets tenors '07-'08 Rhythm X tenors '06-'08 ('08 Center)
III: Glassmen Tenors '03 or '04

1. Start with an eights/legatos exercise for about 5 minutes to really stretch out.
2. Accent tap (keep talking about relaxed full sound but add accents)
3. Double beat (I've learned to use a triplet based double beat. It seems to help stress the similarities between the eights/legatos and the double stroke while adding in more finger movement)
4. rolls (use 16th notes as the diddles and take your tempo from quarter note = 100 - half note = 140. Make sure you start with a tempo that makes the doubles in the rolls the exact same speed you used for the doubles in your double beat.)

After that is where I'd start personalizing the packet to a certain line i.e. 60 second warmups, paradiddles, sprees, whatever your line is up to.

Perfect the first four and you will have one of the most solid basics playing lines. From there, you can go just about anywhere you want.

Novak Offline

Re: How to smoothly transfer through your warmup packet

Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:31 pm

That sounds like a very solid plan man, how has it worked for you thus far?
Andrew Novak
All Hail LQ

Bassguy Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:00 am

By the time I finished this idea, the high school line I teach was done for the season so I'll have to wait and see once auditions start. This is close to what my college did and we had to clean things just as any other line would, but a lot less time was spent teaching (i.e. why are we doing this) We could simply run through a 45 minute warm-up and be ready to work show stuff with a great sound. Unfortunately, my college plays a different show every week so things couldn't get as cool as we would have liked, but technique wise, the line really had their stuff down. Hopefully, I can post an example book of how I would apply these things within the next few weeks.

Icarus Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:36 pm

Depending on the length of the rehearsal, I adjust my warm up time. But I usually prefer getting as close to an hour on warm-ups as possible and I use a similar strategy.

I have two legatto exercises, followed by an accent-tap, double beat, and two roll exercises. My students know about three exercises in each category so I'm able to mix it up to keep them interested when focusing on specific technique. I employ the same strategy of warm-ups with my front ensemble as well.

Its important to have a good warm-up/technique workout strategy. I'm glad you discovered the benefits of this with your line.
"Carpe Diem"

Incognito Drum & Bugle Corps
http://incognitodbc.org

Vic Firth Education Team Member
Percussion Arts Society Member
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia - Delta Pi