Showing DCI to your band? Try this...

discuss whatever it is that instructors discuss

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

pr0k Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:22 pm

hah
my BD thinks showing us movies like "leader of the band" and "drumline" are going to get us pumped
we tell our techs at practice later that night, they bust up laughing

brsnare308 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:31 pm

I dont know but i kind of disagree with this. My band gets show ideas from DCI so showing us the show where the idea came from puts things into perspective and really makes some kids get it. As for BOA its great and our band program competes in BOA but sometimes kids dont get it when its just another high school playing. Musicians look up to other musicians that are better than they are. Im not saying anyone's opinion is wrong but sometimes showing DCI is better than BOA.
BRHS Pit 2006
BRHS Snare 2007
BRHS Snare 2008
BRHS Drum Major 2009

MunfordTN Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Re:

Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:40 pm

PanasonicYouth wrote:I disagree with this. I feel like showing marching band members BOA bands will just make them feel inferior to all those programs with tons of kids and money that put these bands out. Plus, I'm a major non-fan of BOA. The shows are mostly GE-fest, corny, cliche, and almost never feature battery (my bias). It's not the kind of image I'd want for my band at all.
In our drumline we call it BOgAy
Munford High School 09-10:Pit
MHS 10-11:Snare
"Who memorizes an audition piece"-The Great Sean Taylor of Atlanta A&T

Vega Offline
ROAF
ROAF

Re: Showing DCI to your band? Try this...

Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:00 pm

I can agree with the OP a lil bit, because BOA is highschool kids, its shows that kids our age are beast and makes them want to be more competitive with kids who are the same age as them doing more
'10 (I)Anomaly Independent - SCGC PIO Champs⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠
ಠ_ಠDarrius Dixon

A Promise

JLbluefan09 Offline
snarescience addict
snarescience addict

Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:51 pm

iWatch wrote:Its known that showing DCI shows to a band has the potential to raise interest in marching band. Why is this? DCI normally has a variety of interesting shows each season, and it is done so well that it creates a can-do state of mind in the students watching it. But here is something you may not know.

DCI doesn't always create their own ideas. They are often adopted from Band of America (BOA), a national competition marching band circuit, just like DCI, but for high school students, and on a much larger scale. What relation does DCI have to BOA and why is this important? It might not seem obvious at first, but if you look at the highest scoring high schools in BOA, you would realize that many of them are located near DCI corps. Indiana, Ohio, Illinois... all top ranking states in BOA. So what does this mean? Well, DCI and high school competitions run at exactly opposite schedules. DCI is in Fall-Summer, BOA is Spring - Winter. This means that the band directors of DCI bands can take up a job at a high school during the DCI off season. What BOA bands end up becoming are mini DCI corps, and the directors see an opportunity in this. Normally, a DCI/BOA band director will pick and original show, with totally original ideas for BOA. From here, BOA bands are, in a sense, test subjects. The directors will think up new ideas to spice up the show. If they work and the band succeeds, the ideas have a possibility of moving up to the DCI level. Then, for BOA Grand National Championships, all of the top bands travel to Lucas Oil Stadium, the exact stadium of DCI world championships. This gives marching band directors the same view of the show as if it were a DCI show with the same size audience and similar acoustics.

Simply put, BOA is were the new ideas happen. DCI is where the new ideas are shown to the masses after being perfected. The catch is, they are shown one year later. This isn't bad, but it leads to my main point.

It might be better to show high school bands BOA shows instead of DCI. The reasons are simple. The new ideas introduced into BOA are meant for high school bands. DCI often harness ideas that are meant for experienced marchers. Therefore, what the students are seeing is a show that is at a high school level, something a lot easier to try to imitate than DCI, but the WOW factor is still there because BOA is on the leading edge of marching band ideas. It is also good to make the point that BOA bands are high school bands. It helps to show that people their age are able to perform shows at that high of a level of quality. It is much easier to grasp than a show performed by a majority of college students.

While it is your choice to show whatever you want, I wanted to present the option of BOA and my reasons behind it. Of course, it wouldn't hurt to show some DCI shows in addition to BOA ;) And in case you didn't know that DCI actually tested their ideas out on BOA ahead of time, there you have it. If you are a band director trying to decide on another show, it is probably a good idea to search BOA as well as DCI, as if you are getting a show from DCI, it is already 2 years old. Getting a show from BOA means its right off the chopping block.

Has anyone else tried showing BOA shows? If not, I highly recommend it.

You know, I disagree. Our drumline is so against BOA bands. It's just in our history. If our director tried showing us a video of Broken Arrow, Centerville, or any other BOA band, I would leave the room. Yes, they are good. I'm not saying they aren't. I'm just not a fan of the way they rule things.

Our director, however, showed us a video of 08 DCI and our kids were so into it. It made me happy. All I do is drum and watch Drum Corps videos and they all tell me to get a life. They watch those videos and I tell them it's not a waste of time and it is my life. They somewhat understand now why I love these videos.
Gateway Indoor
'12 rack
'13 synth

Music City Drum Corps
'12 synth
pearltenors wrote:IM 13 OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UHSnare45 Offline
Jeff Queen
Jeff Queen

Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:35 pm

i love shwoing corps to the upperclass man who actually care. the bass section leader like it too and so do tenors but my friend and everyone else in band are just like get a life or you are obsessed and just dont appreicate a GOOD corps. it irks me sometimes.
UHS-Snare '09-'12(SL)
AAMB 2013 - Snare

grievous groover Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:30 pm

It sounds like te best way to approach it would be to show them DCI, and then if people are like: "oooh we could never do that, we're just in high school..." you could pop in the BOA dvd and bam! their doubts are erased.

Basically I'm saying it depends on the attitude of everyone. Different scenarios call for different solutions.
paraflafla5schoolreporteggflammalfhelicopterbackflip[/size]

sxetnrdrmr Offline

Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:30 pm

watching both is a good idea.

The thing about DCI is that it shoows the kids that band is, and can be relevant beyond high school. You can play your instrument and not play second fiddle to some sports team. Showing DCI to my band parents makes them realize that the students are aspiring to so something more worthy than being "side-entertainment". It makes them realize that they should support the kids efforts.

Here in Central Ohio, where everyones definition of marching band is (unfortunately) Ohio State, DCI gives a better perspective on what is truly the highest level of performance on the field.

A minior correction to iWatchs original thread....DCI does not get it's ideas from BOA. It is the opposite. BOA evolved out of band programs in the 70's who were influenced by the recently organized DCI competition and judging format, which was trying to get away from the "tick-system" of the 50's and 60's for band competition. BOA was the frist band circuit to encourage its participants to aspire to be at the level of the drum corps on the field, and had been encouraging top level performances in the concert arena for some time. BOA was influenced by the change in DCI to encouraging more musical performances on the field.

Recently, we have seen some changes creep from BOA to DCI..mainly electronics on the field; and it is undeniable that many of the staffs at BOA bands are also involved in the staffs with DCI corps, but both groups have parameters in their judging criteria that keep them seperate. From a purely visual standpoint there are things that are very similar. There has also been great influence from the indoor activity to both DCI and BOA as well...
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

Its' All about the Parking Lot - Watterson Drumline
www.bishopwattersondrumline.webs.com
OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans