Showing DCI to your band? Try this...

discuss whatever it is that instructors discuss

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

iWatch Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Showing DCI to your band? Try this...

Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:08 pm

Its known that showing DCI shows to a band has the potential to raise interest in marching band. Why is this? DCI normally has a variety of interesting shows each season, and it is done so well that it creates a can-do state of mind in the students watching it. But here is something you may not know.

DCI doesn't always create their own ideas. They are often adopted from Band of America (BOA), a national competition marching band circuit, just like DCI, but for high school students, and on a much larger scale. What relation does DCI have to BOA and why is this important? It might not seem obvious at first, but if you look at the highest scoring high schools in BOA, you would realize that many of them are located near DCI corps. Indiana, Ohio, Illinois... all top ranking states in BOA. So what does this mean? Well, DCI and high school competitions run at exactly opposite schedules. DCI is in Fall-Summer, BOA is Spring - Winter. This means that the band directors of DCI bands can take up a job at a high school during the DCI off season. What BOA bands end up becoming are mini DCI corps, and the directors see an opportunity in this. Normally, a DCI/BOA band director will pick and original show, with totally original ideas for BOA. From here, BOA bands are, in a sense, test subjects. The directors will think up new ideas to spice up the show. If they work and the band succeeds, the ideas have a possibility of moving up to the DCI level. Then, for BOA Grand National Championships, all of the top bands travel to Lucas Oil Stadium, the exact stadium of DCI world championships. This gives marching band directors the same view of the show as if it were a DCI show with the same size audience and similar acoustics.

Simply put, BOA is were the new ideas happen. DCI is where the new ideas are shown to the masses after being perfected. The catch is, they are shown one year later. This isn't bad, but it leads to my main point.

It might be better to show high school bands BOA shows instead of DCI. The reasons are simple. The new ideas introduced into BOA are meant for high school bands. DCI often harness ideas that are meant for experienced marchers. Therefore, what the students are seeing is a show that is at a high school level, something a lot easier to try to imitate than DCI, but the WOW factor is still there because BOA is on the leading edge of marching band ideas. It is also good to make the point that BOA bands are high school bands. It helps to show that people their age are able to perform shows at that high of a level of quality. It is much easier to grasp than a show performed by a majority of college students.

While it is your choice to show whatever you want, I wanted to present the option of BOA and my reasons behind it. Of course, it wouldn't hurt to show some DCI shows in addition to BOA ;) And in case you didn't know that DCI actually tested their ideas out on BOA ahead of time, there you have it. If you are a band director trying to decide on another show, it is probably a good idea to search BOA as well as DCI, as if you are getting a show from DCI, it is already 2 years old. Getting a show from BOA means its right off the chopping block.

Has anyone else tried showing BOA shows? If not, I highly recommend it.

AjaxHammer Offline
ROAF
ROAF

Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:22 pm

I think i can agree with that. my band actually does BOA too.

and for drumline, what would you guys show? Blue Smoke? lines in the lot?
Boston Crusaders 2011, 2012 - Snare
Jersey Surf 2010 - Snare
Surround Sound 2010 - Snare

optsyn Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:30 pm

...uh Duh.

Drumline The Movie.

:lol:

Timartin Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:32 pm

wow...sounds like someone is pissed at DCI...

I don't know, DCI just has this appeal to it, knowing that people OLDER than you are into a marching band setting is just cool to know. For me, my first ever show I saw was Cavies 04, and it blew my mind knowing that things could be that good. Obviously we could never do something that cool or that perfect with the people and the time...but knowing that there could be a future in one of the only things I really liked about school...was pretty exciting for me. It also helped lead me into what I wanted to study in college(music ed, obviously). BOA is something my school doesn't like, partly because they always beat us at contests, even though the only cool thing about their show was the fact that maybe there was a giant ape on the field...however, from what we watched marching and what he heard musically, they didn't seem better than us..and nothing about their show was cooler than ours(other than the ape)

I'm not bashing BOA, because I know alot of those schools work very hard just like we do, and are very deserving of the titles they get and the recognition they get.

But as far as showing DCI compared to BOA, I would say why not both?

Show BOA first, showing that high school students such as those watching can do amazing things marching and musically. Then, show some DCI shows, depending on what your band needs, show a more exciting show like cavies 02, 04 or cadets 2000 or BD 04, 06, 07.
(not bashing on other corps or shows)

:D
Glassmen Snare - 12
Matrix Snare - 13, 14

iWatch Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:49 pm

I don't have anything against DCI, I just think BOA might appeal to high school bands more.

Im actually planning on auditioning for the Cadets in 2010 lol

Timartin Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:11 pm

iWatch wrote:I don't have anything against DCI, I just think BOA might appeal to high school bands more.

Im actually planning on auditioning for the Cadets in 2010 lol
that's fair..and good luck!!

I just think it would be effective to show that there is something marching bandesque you can do when you get out of high school, except here, it's more intense and much more competetive
Glassmen Snare - 12
Matrix Snare - 13, 14

PhantomPhan89 Offline
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:20 pm

You live in Ohio, a state known for its presence in BOA. I live in Alabama. A state not known for that. That's probably why you might not share his views, just saying. :o
CorpsVets 08' - Pit
Memphis Sound 09' - Snare
University of North Alabama 09' 10' - Snare
University of North Alabama - 11' 13'- Quads
Gateway Indoor 11' - Quads

Timartin Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:36 pm

PhantomPhan89 wrote:You live in Ohio, a state known for its presence in BOA. I live in Alabama. A state not known for that. That's probably why you might not share his views, just saying. :o
true, but we are OMEA(Ohio music education association) and we are very...not flashy..so I come from a band that's very corps, but not all that strict...it kinda sucks..but we do well with what we do.

BOA is really fun to watch, when you aren't competing against them(for us) showing those kinda films may be like "look what you guys could do, too bad you can't..." it seems almost degrading...it's like a PAC 10 team watching a Big 12 team trying to imitate their style of playing..
Glassmen Snare - 12
Matrix Snare - 13, 14

PanasonicYouth Offline
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:47 pm

I disagree with this. I feel like showing marching band members BOA bands will just make them feel inferior to all those programs with tons of kids and money that put these bands out. Plus, I'm a major non-fan of BOA. The shows are mostly GE-fest, corny, cliche, and almost never feature battery (my bias). It's not the kind of image I'd want for my band at all.

rudlka89 Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:26 am

lmao why rob them of the best? DCI is what's good. :o
NEW BOARD-APPROVED CODE: "Retard" and its variants are now replaced by "SCV." "Homosexual" and its variants, "Phantom." "Go kill yourself" and its variants, "Go watch Phantom Regiment."

TheDude Offline
grammar sheriff
grammar sheriff

Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:47 pm

rudlka89 wrote:lmao why rob them of the best? DCI is what's good. :o
Word.
If Descartes was right, you wouldn't exist.

PhantomPhan89 Offline
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:25 pm

Timartin wrote:
PhantomPhan89 wrote:You live in Ohio, a state known for its presence in BOA. I live in Alabama. A state not known for that. That's probably why you might not share his views, just saying. :o
true, but we are OMEA(Ohio music education association) and we are very...not flashy..so I come from a band that's very corps, but not all that strict...it kinda sucks..but we do well with what we do.

BOA is really fun to watch, when you aren't competing against them(for us) showing those kinda films may be like "look what you guys could do, too bad you can't..." it seems almost degrading...it's like a PAC 10 team watching a Big 12 team trying to imitate their style of playing..
But my all means I never said I adopted this idea. :D Just throwing in an option, lol.
CorpsVets 08' - Pit

Timartin Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:06 am

PhantomPhan89 wrote:
Timartin wrote:

But my all means I never said I adopted this idea. :D Just throwing in an option, lol.
that's fair. :o I think that showing DCI shows would benifit better, because their shows are closer to perfection than BOA, plus it gives kind of a different perspective of what the program is all about(football games and contests compared to DCI world championships) I think that kids see the difference in what they do...if you do BOA then by all means, watch BOA bands perform, see what it's all about it. But I would deffinetly watch DCI shows as well, see perfection at work, and how things are SUPPOSED to look. DCI is thorougly entertaining, even without props..just saying :wink:
Glassmen Snare - 12
Matrix Snare - 13, 14

J.T. Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:20 am

If there's a badass BOA show that you're certain will get the kids fired up, why not? Do you guys never go to a band competition and get hyped seeing other bands?

I think you should pick the show that you think you will fit the occasion. If BOA, fine. If DCI, fine. There are some amazing BOA shows, and some terrible DCI shows. And the other way around too, of course. Don't be prejudiced, is what I'm saying.

My $.02.

PhantomPhan89 Offline
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:01 am

J.T. wrote:If there's a badass BOA show that you're certain will get the kids fired up, why not? Do you guys never go to a band competition and get hyped seeing other bands?

I think you should pick the show that you think you will fit the occasion. If BOA, fine. If DCI, fine. There are some amazing BOA shows, and some terrible DCI shows. And the other way around too, of course. Don't be prejudiced, is what I'm saying.

My $.02.
word.
CorpsVets 08' - Pit

rudlka89 Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:38 am

Leaf why would anyone rob the kids of a chance to see the BEST? DCI is what's good.
NEW BOARD-APPROVED CODE: "Retard" and its variants are now replaced by "SCV." "Homosexual" and its variants, "Phantom." "Go kill yourself" and its variants, "Go watch Phantom Regiment."

teh_Guardian Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:40 am

rudlka89 wrote:Leaf why would anyone rob the kids of a chance to see the BEST? DCI is what's good.
QFT.
Here we are, talking band!

PhantomPhan89 Offline
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:27 pm

rudlka89 wrote:Leaf why would anyone rob the kids of a chance to see the BEST? DCI is what's good.

You already said that, but good point.
CorpsVets 08' - Pit

DonQuadxote Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:14 pm

Bush Snare KT wrote:...uh Duh.

Drumline The Movie.

:lol:
no

iWatch Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:53 pm

Like I said, its all in your own personal preference.

There is nothing wrong with DCI, but the same to BOA. Its all in what fits your band best.

Im not trying to change anyone's opinion, it was more or less a fun fact that some people may not know. If you choose to use it is up to you.

But don't use drumline the movie. Thats a big no-no. I just got back from Cadet's camp, and i'll tell you, a DCI camp is so much different from that movie. You think of DCI being the top of competing in marching. When it is harder to make it into a college drumline than it is to make it into one of the best drumlines in the world, you know you have a problem. No offense to those who like Drumline the movie, but I find it grossly inaccurate >.<

Timartin Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:22 pm

iWatch wrote:Like I said, its all in your own personal preference.

There is nothing wrong with DCI, but the same to BOA. Its all in what fits your band best.

Im not trying to change anyone's opinion, it was more or less a fun fact that some people may not know. If you choose to use it is up to you.

But don't use drumline the movie. Thats a big no-no. I just got back from Cadet's camp, and i'll tell you, a DCI camp is so much different from that movie. You think of DCI being the top of competing in marching. When it is harder to make it into a college drumline than it is to make it into one of the best drumlines in the world, you know you have a problem. No offense to those who like Drumline the movie, but I find it grossly inaccurate >.<
what? I thought it was very educational!! I learned how to make love to an inanimate object!! it's done very well for me!! :roll:
Glassmen Snare - 12
Matrix Snare - 13, 14

gretch89 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:50 pm

I except the fact that BOA is the cutting edge of field show composition, but I personally think that DCI musicians perform at a much higher skill level and show off the full potential of what a marching band can achieve.

By showing kids another school that plays at a higher level, one of two things can happen. First, they can get pumped that a band at their level can achieve great things in competition, or second, they may get the thought into their young heads that they're not good enough, that these other high schools represent a standard that all have to follow to win at competition. Either way, I agree with iWatch in saying that this is all personal preference and what I have to say may not apply to the masses. 8)

iWatch Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:09 pm

gretch89 wrote:I except the fact that BOA is the cutting edge of field show composition, but I personally think that DCI musicians perform at a much higher skill level and show off the full potential of what a marching band can achieve.
For sure. BOA certainly isn't to the skill level of DCI. Let me clear things up in my original post by saying that. There is definitely a difference in skill.
High School
'06 - Xylophone and Marimba
'07 - Snare and Co-Section Leader
'08 - Snare and Co-Section Leader
'09 - Snare and Section Leader

'13-Present - Percussion Tech

noname Offline
ROAF
ROAF

Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:23 am

PanasonicYouth wrote:I disagree with this. I feel like showing marching band members BOA bands will just make them feel inferior to all those programs with tons of kids and money that put these bands out. Plus, I'm a major non-fan of BOA. The shows are mostly GE-fest, corny, cliche, and almost never feature battery (my bias). It's not the kind of image I'd want for my band at all.
Word

swissflamdrag Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:05 pm

yeah BOA is all about the band as a whole in the scoring system while DCI is the opposite
if your showing the entire band then go with BOA cause its shows these are kids your age and we can do that
but if your motivating your line then go to DCI
Northwest High School class of '12
Forte 2011 Snare