discuss whatever it is that instructors discuss

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

Justin Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

How to I get threw to theese kids?!?

Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:37 pm

Heh nice southpark qoute but yah,

I march with another tenor ( who happens to be two years older ) and lets just say, he isnt that talented with tenor. I mean timing wise and rhythm interpretation hes spot on, but hes quality and his ability to learn the music isnt fast at all.

So I try to help and teach him but something unconscious happens and I just cant be as hard as I need to be. ( its prob something to do about seniority. )

So what to do you guys suggest I do?
The smarter the drummer, the better the performance.

rudlka89 Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:41 pm

four words: double bass heel toe.
NEW BOARD-APPROVED CODE: "Retard" and its variants are now replaced by "SCV." "Homosexual" and its variants, "Phantom." "Go kill yourself" and its variants, "Go watch Phantom Regiment."

Justin Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:43 pm

Sorry, I dont get the joke. O_O
The smarter the drummer, the better the performance.

madjician

Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:53 pm

Basically, quality comes from a lot of chop building exercises. For example, 8-25, 8-50, even 8-100 on the move, crabbing to the left, then the right. Or just invite him over and play some rudiments until his arms are burning with muscle pain.

Playing eights and really focusing on a full extension of the wrist to round out the sound, not to mention in the correct playing zones and with the correct technique.

Double beat is also an excellent way to help build chops on rolls, along with triple beat for endurance. Just breaking down exercises and isolating hands and making sure that one is digging into the head without overhyping the given stick height can make a world of difference in this category.

As far as learning music, there's a few things you can do. Sight reading a lot of music is probably the best and most efficient way. Instead of playing the same book over and over again, print out some new exercises every week and learn em. Knowing all your rudiments can help a bit too. Instead of sitting there trying to stick a measure out, tell him to try to break it down beat by beat, and then connect them. For example, a bar of sixteenths with the accents on One and the And of two. Instead of just doing R l r l r l R l r l r l r l r l R, maybe try R l r r l l R l r r l l r l r l R. Again, that's just a very simple example, obviously it gets harder and harder as the rhythms and rudiments advance.

I'm not an instructor, nor do I have anything to brag about, but that's how I'd try to fix the problem.

Oh and about seniority, just be nice about it, don't be that guy that feels like he has something to prove.

sfzmull Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:58 pm

first of all, learn to spell "through"

AjaxHammer Offline
ROAF
ROAF

Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:39 pm

sfzmull wrote:first of all, learn to spell "through"
he did that on purpose...
Boston Crusaders 2011, 2012 - Snare
Jersey Surf 2010 - Snare
Surround Sound 2010 - Snare

rudlka89 Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:41 pm

sfzmull wrote:first of all, learn to spell "through"
...lol.
NEW BOARD-APPROVED CODE: "Retard" and its variants are now replaced by "SCV." "Homosexual" and its variants, "Phantom." "Go kill yourself" and its variants, "Go watch Phantom Regiment."

PhantomPhan89 Offline
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:16 am

rudlka89 wrote:four words: double bass heel toe.
I agree. Send chris up there.
CorpsVets 08' - Pit
Memphis Sound 09' - Snare
University of North Alabama 09' 10' - Snare
University of North Alabama - 11' 13'- Quads
Gateway Indoor 11' - Quads