Band camp needs

discuss whatever it is that instructors discuss

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth


Post new topic  Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ]
Message
Author
snare20 Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:39 pm

Band camp needs

Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:59 pm



Hey guys, I am a newer instructor. Through the years I have marched high school our band camp was always in our parking lot and football field at our own school. This year we are going away about three hours or so. Is there any stuff besides the basics of binder, music, charts, sticks, met, and ext. that I should make sure to bring?

Thanks!


Lee clary Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes
Posts: 976
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:33 pm
Location: Tallahassee,Florida

Re: Band camp needs

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:29 am



Sunscreen bug repelent food is a must lol and slides
Famu Fall 17' 🤞🏼🐍🐍


sxetnrdrmr Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar
Posts: 2708
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:22 pm
Location: chasing the battery around the field

Re:

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:05 am



have never been away to a camp cause we always do it at school. Is it primitive, or up to date? Meaning, is there electric and AC in the lodging? Will it be super hot/humid? How far away is the practice area from the lodging? Are you the type who sits in the box all day or is on the feild witht he kids?

Personally, I always bring my own pillow to things like conferences etc. cause I like a real firm pillow, and the supplied ones are usually real soft
- I also bring 2 bath towels to rotate so that i have a "dry" one every night.
- shower shoes/sandals
- I always use a Camelback for water during the day. Mine hold 2-liters of water. i am always hydrated!
- 3 ring binder with page protectors for music/drill charts
- all of the tools you will need for repairs: at least 2 7/16th inch and half inch wrenches, hex wrenches (I have the "Swiss Army" hex sets...1 American and 1 metric), lighter. You KNOW that a carrier will break, or a marimba string will go when you are far away from home. i keep all of these in the small pocket of my back pack
- extra heads for everything
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

Image

Its' All about the Parking Lot - Watterson Drumline
www.bishopwattersondrumline.webs.com
OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans


snare20 Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:39 pm

Re: Band camp needs

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:13 am



I'm not sure if AC or not but i sure hope so! as for me, I'm half and half with on the field and on the box. The BD has mentioned it will get super hot, but nights sometimes to be cool. field isn't too far from the cabins. even it was we'd have the line track to the field for warm up.


Kaitou Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar
Posts: 1918
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 5:22 pm

Re: Band camp needs

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:49 am



Extra sticks and a copy of the music (you know some kid will either forget, lose, or have it ruined).
TA67 wrote:She walked over to me and said "I formally request that you turn my body into a playground of lust and wonder, o burly man." To which I agreed. I laid her down on the desk, and well...we both got As for the entire semester as a result.
ImageImage


sxetnrdrmr Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar
Posts: 2708
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:22 pm
Location: chasing the battery around the field

Re: Band camp needs

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:11 pm



snare20 wrote:I'm not sure if AC or not but i sure hope so! as for me, I'm half and half with on the field and on the box. The BD has mentioned it will get super hot, but nights sometimes to be cool. field isn't too far from the cabins. even it was we'd have the line track to the field for warm up.
see if you can get a small battery powered fan to clip to the bed/cot whatever.

Super hot:
- DEFINITELY have the Camelback...I would have the kids get them too if you can. They are a god-send. You can hydrate in small sips in whatever time intervals you want...because it is on your back. They fit under carrier bars...they have completely changed the way I time practice now. No more 15 minute water breaks, They gushing as they are going.
- if possible, have a cooler filled with ice and small towels. Leave the towels in the ice and as it melts the towels get wet and cold. Then they can drape them on the backs of their necks at break, and go back out with them for some goo dcooling. Also keep fruits in the cooler for energy on breaks. We use clemetines and apples. Also get some spray bottles and fill them up to "mist" peoples faces during short breaks. My bass section leader started this last year...great idea
- have a large bottle of Aloe for the ones who think they are impervious to the sun..and for the gingers and WASP's like me! I am either pasty white or 3rd degree burned...no inbetween
- have them all bring a beach towel to cover their drum heads in the heat when the drums are not on, and to cover themselves on break if there is no shade
- speaking of no shade, one or two of those tent things you can set up in a minute are the best investment behind the Camelback...instant shade. i think you can get them for $30 a pop at some plces like Target or Home Depot
- stress to EVERYONE, including your emo and Goth kids, as well as the G's and fashionista girls that regular athletic shorts are going to be the best choice for that week. NO ONE wants that painful rash in between the legs in the crotch area due to ill fitting pants and no air getting up there
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

Image

Its' All about the Parking Lot - Watterson Drumline
www.bishopwattersondrumline.webs.com
OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans


MPolarinakis Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes
Posts: 535
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:43 am

Re: Band camp needs

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:34 pm



sxetnrdrmr wrote:
snare20 wrote:I'm not sure if AC or not but i sure hope so! as for me, I'm half and half with on the field and on the box. The BD has mentioned it will get super hot, but nights sometimes to be cool. field isn't too far from the cabins. even it was we'd have the line track to the field for warm up.
see if you can get a small battery powered fan to clip to the bed/cot whatever.

Super hot:
- DEFINITELY have the Camelback...I would have the kids get them too if you can. They are a god-send. You can hydrate in small sips in whatever time intervals you want...because it is on your back. They fit under carrier bars...they have completely changed the way I time practice now. No more 15 minute water breaks, They gushing as they are going.
- if possible, have a cooler filled with ice and small towels. Leave the towels in the ice and as it melts the towels get wet and cold. Then they can drape them on the backs of their necks at break, and go back out with them for some goo dcooling. Also keep fruits in the cooler for energy on breaks. We use clemetines and apples. Also get some spray bottles and fill them up to "mist" peoples faces during short breaks. My bass section leader started this last year...great idea
- have a large bottle of Aloe for the ones who think they are impervious to the sun..and for the gingers and WASP's like me! I am either pasty white or 3rd degree burned...no inbetween
- have them all bring a beach towel to cover their drum heads in the heat when the drums are not on, and to cover themselves on break if there is no shade
- speaking of no shade, one or two of those tent things you can set up in a minute are the best investment behind the Camelback...instant shade. i think you can get them for $30 a pop at some plces like Target or Home Depot
- stress to EVERYONE, including your emo and Goth kids, as well as the G's and fashionista girls that regular athletic shorts are going to be the best choice for that week. NO ONE wants that painful rash in between the legs in the crotch area due to ill fitting pants and no air getting up there

i lived in dallas for like 10 years, and I think that you're getting way too overzealous about this. literally a 2 minute water break every 15 minutes is good enough. you dont need a cooler full of food and towels, and you certainly dont need a tent or portable gazebo.
'10 '11 '12 '13

'09 '10 '11 '13


for clarification, see related GIF
Image


sxetnrdrmr Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar
Posts: 2708
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:22 pm
Location: chasing the battery around the field

Re: Band camp needs

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:54 pm



MPolarinakis wrote:
sxetnrdrmr wrote:
snare20 wrote:I'm not sure if AC or not but i sure hope so! as for me, I'm half and half with on the field and on the box. The BD has mentioned it will get super hot, but nights sometimes to be cool. field isn't too far from the cabins. even it was we'd have the line track to the field for warm up.
see if you can get a small battery powered fan to clip to the bed/cot whatever.

Super hot:
- DEFINITELY have the Camelback...I would have the kids get them too if you can. They are a god-send. You can hydrate in small sips in whatever time intervals you want...because it is on your back. They fit under carrier bars...they have completely changed the way I time practice now. No more 15 minute water breaks, They gushing as they are going.
- if possible, have a cooler filled with ice and small towels. Leave the towels in the ice and as it melts the towels get wet and cold. Then they can drape them on the backs of their necks at break, and go back out with them for some goo dcooling. Also keep fruits in the cooler for energy on breaks. We use clemetines and apples. Also get some spray bottles and fill them up to "mist" peoples faces during short breaks. My bass section leader started this last year...great idea
- have a large bottle of Aloe for the ones who think they are impervious to the sun..and for the gingers and WASP's like me! I am either pasty white or 3rd degree burned...no inbetween
- have them all bring a beach towel to cover their drum heads in the heat when the drums are not on, and to cover themselves on break if there is no shade
- speaking of no shade, one or two of those tent things you can set up in a minute are the best investment behind the Camelback...instant shade. i think you can get them for $30 a pop at some plces like Target or Home Depot
- stress to EVERYONE, including your emo and Goth kids, as well as the G's and fashionista girls that regular athletic shorts are going to be the best choice for that week. NO ONE wants that painful rash in between the legs in the crotch area due to ill fitting pants and no air getting up there

i lived in dallas for like 10 years, and I think that you're getting way too overzealous about this. literally a 2 minute water break every 15 minutes is good enough. you dont need a cooler full of food and towels, and you certainly dont need a tent or portable gazebo.
well, seeing as how you have been at every practice situation out there, you know what is best...I guess what my kids do to keep themselves going must not be working...I also forgot that 99 degrees and 100% humidity in Ohio is a lot cooler than it is in Texas...
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

Image

Its' All about the Parking Lot - Watterson Drumline
www.bishopwattersondrumline.webs.com
OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans


Kaitou Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar
Posts: 1918
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 5:22 pm

Re: Band camp needs

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:16 am



MPolarinakis wrote:
sxetnrdrmr wrote:
snare20 wrote:I'm not sure if AC or not but i sure hope so! as for me, I'm half and half with on the field and on the box. The BD has mentioned it will get super hot, but nights sometimes to be cool. field isn't too far from the cabins. even it was we'd have the line track to the field for warm up.
see if you can get a small battery powered fan to clip to the bed/cot whatever.

Super hot:
- DEFINITELY have the Camelback...I would have the kids get them too if you can. They are a god-send. You can hydrate in small sips in whatever time intervals you want...because it is on your back. They fit under carrier bars...they have completely changed the way I time practice now. No more 15 minute water breaks, They gushing as they are going.
- if possible, have a cooler filled with ice and small towels. Leave the towels in the ice and as it melts the towels get wet and cold. Then they can drape them on the backs of their necks at break, and go back out with them for some goo dcooling. Also keep fruits in the cooler for energy on breaks. We use clemetines and apples. Also get some spray bottles and fill them up to "mist" peoples faces during short breaks. My bass section leader started this last year...great idea
- have a large bottle of Aloe for the ones who think they are impervious to the sun..and for the gingers and WASP's like me! I am either pasty white or 3rd degree burned...no inbetween
- have them all bring a beach towel to cover their drum heads in the heat when the drums are not on, and to cover themselves on break if there is no shade
- speaking of no shade, one or two of those tent things you can set up in a minute are the best investment behind the Camelback...instant shade. i think you can get them for $30 a pop at some plces like Target or Home Depot
- stress to EVERYONE, including your emo and Goth kids, as well as the G's and fashionista girls that regular athletic shorts are going to be the best choice for that week. NO ONE wants that painful rash in between the legs in the crotch area due to ill fitting pants and no air getting up there

i lived in dallas for like 10 years, and I think that you're getting way too overzealous about this. literally a 2 minute water break every 15 minutes is good enough. you dont need a cooler full of food and towels, and you certainly dont need a tent or portable gazebo.
That is a tremendous time waste to have that many water breaks..and being overzealous can only be beneficial. Why be uncomfortable if there is no need to?
TA67 wrote:She walked over to me and said "I formally request that you turn my body into a playground of lust and wonder, o burly man." To which I agreed. I laid her down on the desk, and well...we both got As for the entire semester as a result.
ImageImage


MPolarinakis Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes
Posts: 535
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:43 am

Re: Band camp needs

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:05 am



Kaitou wrote:
sxetnrdrmr wrote:
snare20 wrote:I'm not sure if AC or not but i sure hope so! as for me, I'm half and half with on the field and on the box. The BD has mentioned it will get super hot, but nights sometimes to be cool. field isn't too far from the cabins. even it was we'd have the line track to the field for warm up.
see if you can get a small battery powered fan to clip to the bed/cot whatever.

Super hot:
- DEFINITELY have the Camelback...I would have the kids get them too if you can. They are a god-send. You can hydrate in small sips in whatever time intervals you want...because it is on your back. They fit under carrier bars...they have completely changed the way I time practice now. No more 15 minute water breaks, They gushing as they are going.
- if possible, have a cooler filled with ice and small towels. Leave the towels in the ice and as it melts the towels get wet and cold. Then they can drape them on the backs of their necks at break, and go back out with them for some goo dcooling. Also keep fruits in the cooler for energy on breaks. We use clemetines and apples. Also get some spray bottles and fill them up to "mist" peoples faces during short breaks. My bass section leader started this last year...great idea
- have a large bottle of Aloe for the ones who think they are impervious to the sun..and for the gingers and WASP's like me! I am either pasty white or 3rd degree burned...no inbetween
- have them all bring a beach towel to cover their drum heads in the heat when the drums are not on, and to cover themselves on break if there is no shade
- speaking of no shade, one or two of those tent things you can set up in a minute are the best investment behind the Camelback...instant shade. i think you can get them for $30 a pop at some plces like Target or Home Depot
- stress to EVERYONE, including your emo and Goth kids, as well as the G's and fashionista girls that regular athletic shorts are going to be the best choice for that week. NO ONE wants that painful rash in between the legs in the crotch area due to ill fitting pants and no air getting up there

i lived in dallas for like 10 years, and I think that you're getting way too overzealous about this. literally a 2 minute water break every 15 minutes is good enough. you dont need a cooler full of food and towels, and you certainly dont need a tent or portable gazebo.

That is a tremendous time waste to have that many water breaks..and being overzealous can only be beneficial. Why be uncomfortable if there is no need to?
Really? I feel like setting up a standing structure for shade is a waste of time. 2/15 is traditionally what most groups do in texas, and i personally did about 2/30 the last 2 summers i marched, except in texas and iowa where its really hot. The cavaliers rehearsals traditionally more than double that amount of break time To be about 15/45, which I believe to be the most effective rehearsal style.

I'm not saying that it's a bad idea to have extra shade or food or iced towels, but it's completely unnecessary. Especially camelbacks, I feel like that would be a giant distraction. I also think its psychologically better to have a break every now and then opposed to camelbacks because it gives you a chance to clear out and stretch.

Sent from an iPhone. Ignore my grammatical errors
'10 '11 '12 '13

'09 '10 '11 '13


for clarification, see related GIF
Image


sxetnrdrmr Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar
Posts: 2708
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:22 pm
Location: chasing the battery around the field

Re: Band camp needs

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:33 am



MPolarinakis wrote:
Really? I feel like setting up a standing structure for shade is a waste of time. 2/15 is traditionally what most groups do in texas, and i personally did about 2/30 the last 2 summers i marched, except in texas and iowa where its really hot. The cavaliers rehearsals traditionally more than double that amount of break time To be about 15/45, which I believe to be the most effective rehearsal style.

I'm not saying that it's a bad idea to have extra shade or food or iced towels, but it's completely unnecessary. Especially camelbacks, I feel like that would be a giant distraction. I also think its psychologically better to have a break every now and then opposed to camelbacks because it gives you a chance to clear out and stretch.

Sent from an iPhone. Ignore my grammatical errors
Well, it takes all of 15 seconds to set up the shade thing, and in our situation it is totally necessary since the practice field is a half mile away from any source of shade. When kids in the other sections do go down it is actually vital.

I run a schedule of about 20 min repping, 2 for the mental/physical break. The kids are allowed to make restroom trips whenever they need to...no asking, they just go (they are big kids now).

The Camelbacks are as much of a distraction as their carriers are. It is actually less distracting b/c it is one less thing to carry out in their hands, and leave on the field overnight.

In the past 10 years, i have only had one kid drop from heat related stuff during our hell camp and other summer activities. I will take the "distraction" of the Camelbacks over the distraction of having half the line sitting out during reps

really, it is a moot point. The OP asked for suggestions, not the final answer. My system works for me, yours works for you. It seemed to me like you were saying that what we do here is wrong and detrimental to effective rehearsal. I didn't meant to jump your *beep*, but I feel like in many posts you sort of target me and try to call me out - which is perfectly fine if I really do say or cite something that is OBJECTIVELY wrong. This is not an objective question. If your not targeting me than i will just shut my hole, but it seems that way sometimes, and it was real late last night when I saw the post so i just sort of "went with it"
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

Image

Its' All about the Parking Lot - Watterson Drumline
www.bishopwattersondrumline.webs.com
OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans


MPolarinakis Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes
Posts: 535
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:43 am

Re: Band camp needs

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:07 am



sxetnrdrmr wrote:
MPolarinakis wrote:
Really? I feel like setting up a standing structure for shade is a waste of time. 2/15 is traditionally what most groups do in texas, and i personally did about 2/30 the last 2 summers i marched, except in texas and iowa where its really hot. The cavaliers rehearsals traditionally more than double that amount of break time To be about 15/45, which I believe to be the most effective rehearsal style.

I'm not saying that it's a bad idea to have extra shade or food or iced towels, but it's completely unnecessary. Especially camelbacks, I feel like that would be a giant distraction. I also think its psychologically better to have a break every now and then opposed to camelbacks because it gives you a chance to clear out and stretch.

Sent from an iPhone. Ignore my grammatical errors
Well, it takes all of 15 seconds to set up the shade thing, and in our situation it is totally necessary since the practice field is a half mile away from any source of shade. When kids in the other sections do go down it is actually vital.

I run a schedule of about 20 min repping, 2 for the mental/physical break. The kids are allowed to make restroom trips whenever they need to...no asking, they just go (they are big kids now).

The Camelbacks are as much of a distraction as their carriers are. It is actually less distracting b/c it is one less thing to carry out in their hands, and leave on the field overnight.

In the past 10 years, i have only had one kid drop from heat related stuff during our hell camp and other summer activities. I will take the "distraction" of the Camelbacks over the distraction of having half the line sitting out during reps

really, it is a moot point. The OP asked for suggestions, not the final answer. My system works for me, yours works for you. It seemed to me like you were saying that what we do here is wrong and detrimental to effective rehearsal. I didn't meant to jump your *beep*, but I feel like in many posts you sort of target me and try to call me out - which is perfectly fine if I really do say or cite something that is OBJECTIVELY wrong. This is not an objective question. If your not targeting me than i will just shut my hole, but it seems that way sometimes, and it was real late last night when I saw the post so i just sort of "went with it"
I'm not trying to target you!!! Your posts are just thorough enough that I can use them as gateways for the specific stuff I would like to say.

It's because your posts are actually meaningfull
'10 '11 '12 '13

'09 '10 '11 '13


for clarification, see related GIF
Image


sxetnrdrmr Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar
Posts: 2708
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:22 pm
Location: chasing the battery around the field

Re: Band camp needs

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:05 am



MPolarinakis wrote:
I'm not trying to target you!!! Your posts are just thorough enough that I can use them as gateways for the specific stuff I would like to say.

It's because your posts are actually meaningfull
thats cool. I just misinterpreted stuff. It was a long night of writing show music/doing laundry etc. No hard feelings then.

And once again, i am NOT against people correcting me...it's how we all learn, so i don't want to come of f as Mr Know-it-all either. god (or whoever) knows i have not stood at DCI finals with a medal around my neck, or played to a sold out arena ....yet.... so I am still learning
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

Image

Its' All about the Parking Lot - Watterson Drumline
www.bishopwattersondrumline.webs.com
OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans


sxetnrdrmr Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar
Posts: 2708
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:22 pm
Location: chasing the battery around the field

Re:

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:10 am



...and now back to the original topic....

make sure you have things like Epi-pens and first aid stuff. Know who is allergic to what or who has what ailment. For me, this is the most terrifying part of the job. I have a couple kids with exercise-induced Asthma that I have to keep a close eye on. Have a lot of bee allergies too...

in Ohio, there are certain laws about where meds can be, and who can administer them etc. It is sort of confusing. I make sure the kids have their wheezers and stuff on their bodies at all times...
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

Image

Its' All about the Parking Lot - Watterson Drumline
www.bishopwattersondrumline.webs.com
OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans


dgaking Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes
Posts: 479
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:06 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: Band camp needs

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:12 pm



My alma mater went away for band camp every summer. We always brought every piece of percussion gear we thought we could possibly use, as we inevitably wrote music and made additions while at camp. We brought a computer, printer, and copier for the same reason. We also brought a lot of drinks and food for the staff cabin, because the cafeteria food at the camp was never enough. You burn more calories when you are in the heat all day.


snare20 Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:39 pm

Re: Band camp needs

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:10 pm



Thanks guys! this helped a lot!


Post new topic  Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ]





Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum