Shy Student

discuss whatever it is that instructors discuss

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

DrZoidberg Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Shy Student

Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:44 pm

So I'm teching for the first time this year at a High School. I've got this snare drummer who has oodles of natural talent, but absolutely no self confidence. This young drummer will not open her mouth at all during rehearsals, hunches over her drum, and won't play with the necessary confidence. The raw talent is there. How do I make a drummer out of someone who is scared of hitting a drum?

tommyservo7 Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Re: Shy Student

Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:11 pm

DrZoidberg wrote:So I'm teching for the first time this year at a High School. I've got this snare drummer who has oodles of natural talent, but absolutely no self confidence. This young drummer will not open her mouth at all during rehearsals, hunches over her drum, and won't play with the necessary confidence. The raw talent is there. How do I make a drummer out of someone who is scared of hitting a drum?
The number one thing would be positive encouragement. She's not going to know she's doing well unless you tell her. Better yet, have someone who she's not familiar with tell her what she's doing well. Applaud her efforts in front of the group if you feel its warranted (don't do all these things consecutively or else you'll look like you're antagonizing her).
Tom

2007-2011 OBFP
2011-2012 College in Indiana

Multi-pitched timp-tom tenor-scaled membranaphone for life.

sxetnrdrmr Offline

Re:

Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:57 am

I hve had MANY kids like this in the past. Going along with what Tommy said:
- give her positive encouragement in front of the group, BUT don't bombard her either. Feel it out.
- Also, "target" her with questions concerning group critique: "So Angie, in that last rep, were we in time?" or "Do you think your left hand was as good as your right in that last run?"...same thing too, don't bombard her, but give her opprotunities to HAVE to be involved. Don't let her hide.

In down time encourage the kids to include her in conversations, or at least get her "in the circle". Many times with my shy kids, I would tell my vets if they were going to congregate and talk about WGI Finals, or homework, do it right near the shy person. EVentually, the shy person was in the blob of people talking, and then finally participating.

The big key in all of this is to not be overwhelming. Don't just assume that attacking her with attention is going to fix it. Let her know that her involvement matters, but it is also up to her to make some of the decision to be involved. It's about breaking down barriers
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

Its' All about the Parking Lot - Watterson Drumline
www.bishopwattersondrumline.webs.com
OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans

snare20 Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Re: Shy Student

Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:45 am

a little late on this, but maybe encourage the line to have an off practice get together of just the drumline just to hang out. doesnt even need to involve drumming. I feel one can drum more confident when comfortable with those around you, as said before. had this to happen in a line i was in, we involved him and he started talking. in the off practice hang have kids find out her hobbies and talk to her about her inter
ests .