Teaching Traditional

discuss whatever it is that instructors discuss

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

hurt-a Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Teaching Traditional

Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:12 pm

A girl in my drumline recently asked me to teach her tradtional grip. after one lesson she started to kinda get the hang of it, but still used way too much arm in the left hand and too much wrist in the right while playing 8's. any tips to help me explain the adjustments she needs to make?
Legends DBC Front Ensemble
2013- Aux
2014- Vibraphone
2015- Marimba
Spirit Snare 80 wrote:Cowbell- "WHACK-WHACK-WHACK-WHACK"......Spaaaalat. "Cut!" Do it again!

dgaking Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re: Teaching Traditional

Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:52 am

Practice legato strokes holding the stick between the thumb and hand without the other fingers. Gradually add the other fingers back into the grip. Keep going back to the fingers off and starting again. When I learned traditional grip, I found that this helped develop the left hand wrist motion and improve my flexibility so that I could play at higher stick heights on the left hand.

Kaitou Offline

Re: Teaching Traditional

Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:13 pm

this guy actually has a pretty good video working through the basics of Trad..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tHSrovtJF0

Like dgaking said, just have her hold it between the thumb and hand..like traditional grip normally with the index and pointer fingers following the hand naturally instead of curling over the stick and have her play 8s like that. This forces the hand to use correct technique to play..compare the motion to turning a door knob.

For the right hand, have her try to play 8s with just her fingers while keeping the wrist stationary. Then have her play with each finger individually just to get an idea of how they should be moving. After that add the wrist back in and hopefully she should start to recognize about where the balance should be.

http://www.snarescience.com/articles/sn ... hnique.php has a pretty good explanation of the hand technique
TA67 wrote:She walked over to me and said "I formally request that you turn my body into a playground of lust and wonder, o burly man." To which I agreed. I laid her down on the desk, and well...we both got As for the entire semester as a result.
ImageImage