So I'm giving my first lesson tomorrow...

discuss whatever it is that instructors discuss

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

Buranri Offline
chops master
chops master

So I'm giving my first lesson tomorrow...

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:42 pm

And honestly, I'm a little freaked out. I've never actually taught anyone drumming before. Luckily she's only in 7th grade, and I don't think she's had any real instruction before, so it shouldn't be too bad. She's in the middle school band program, so I was planning to leave the keyboard stuff there and focus mostly on standard match grip. Stuff that applies to drumset, marching, concert snare.

Anyways, the reason I'm posting this - are there any major do's and dont's in teaching? I don't have a specific book yet, so I was planning on spending the first week or two on basic stuff. Getting the grip right, making sure she's rebounding the stick. At some point I'll probably get a book, but I don't know which one. Any suggestions? I've heard lots of different names tossed around.

Right forum this time? Good.
Spokane Thunder
Cascades
Matrix

Facebook

Wagsdrummer92 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re: So I'm giving my first lesson tomorrow

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:45 pm

alfred's drum method
"Stick Control" Stone

stress individual practice and using a met

break down rhythms so that they really understand what they are playing not just playing notes
CorpsVets 2010 Aux "360"
Frequency Inc. 2012 Cymbals "Unconquerable"
Pioneer 2012 Bass 4 "Irish Immigrants: The Hands that Built America"
SU Snare 2012
DSIP Cymbals 2013
Palmetto Percussion 2014 Cymbals
CV Indoor 2015 Cymbals
Alliance DBC Cymbal Instructor
Spirit of Atlanta 2016 Cymbal Instructor
Tates Creek Indoor Ensemble 2017 Cymbal Instructor

snarescience Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: So I'm giving my first lesson tomorrow

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:48 pm

In addition to teaching the grip, definitely go over counting of rhythms and basic music reading to make sure she is proficient in those areas.
Ryan Wold
MBI Snare '98-'99,'01-'02,'05-'06,'10
MBI Snare Tech '04

Scouts Snare '00
Siamyth Snare Tech '08
MN Vikings "Skol Line" '09

hotbeats645 Offline
Jeff Queen
Jeff Queen

Re: So I'm giving my first lesson tomorrow...

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:26 pm

At first, you want to find a healthy balance between information and having fun. It's really hard for somebody just starting out on an instrument to absorb the nitty gritty details and actually practice if they're bored out of their mind and don't enjoy what they're doing. Plus playing an instrument is SUPPOSED to be fun.

I would also suggest eventually adding some keyboard instruction into your curriculum-leaving it up to the band program to do that could leave that area or percussion under-developed in the future. When I started taking percussion seriously, I was at a serious disadvantage because my private instructors never really got around to teaching me much about mallet playing, and I wish I had gotten that opportunity when I was a lot younger.

I would also make sure the student and the student's parents know you have an expectation for practice a little bit every day, but also don't get down on the student during subsequent lessons if they aren't prepared. Let them know they still need to practice, but try to teach them something else. Always be in a good mood, even if you really aren't.
I play and teach music (sometimes even band music!)

I work in music tech and licensing.

Music is an art and positive energy.

Buranri Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:57 pm

hotbeats645 wrote:At first, you want to find a healthy balance between information and having fun. It's really hard for somebody just starting out on an instrument to absorb the nitty gritty details and actually practice if they're bored out of their mind and don't enjoy what they're doing. Plus playing an instrument is SUPPOSED to be fun.

I would also suggest eventually adding some keyboard instruction into your curriculum-leaving it up to the band program to do that could leave that area or percussion under-developed in the future. When I started taking percussion seriously, I was at a serious disadvantage because my private instructors never really got around to teaching me much about mallet playing, and I wish I had gotten that opportunity when I was a lot younger.

I would also make sure the student and the student's parents know you have an expectation for practice a little bit every day, but also don't get down on the student during subsequent lessons if they aren't prepared. Let them know they still need to practice, but try to teach them something else. Always be in a good mood, even if you really aren't.
Makes sense. I know I've had a few periods where playing drums just wasn't fun, and it sucked.

Oh, I wish I could. I'm not really sure how to do that... I mean I do want to make sure she can read music, since that was one thing I had issues with. I'm just not sure how to teach that without a keyboard to use. Also, kids coming out of the middle school program generally seem to have a basic knowledge of mallets, so it's not awful.
Spokane Thunder
Cascades
Matrix

Facebook

sxetnrdrmr Offline

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:31 am

another big thing is pacing the lesson time so that you hit everything you want, and she is entertained.

when I start kids I use 8 on a hand because it is instant success for them...they feel like they are playing the drum. It allows me to see basic motion, and describe basic motion to them.

I break my beginner lessons into 3 areas: Fundamental motion, rudiments and/or Stone patterns, and theory/application stuff...which is where the reading will come into play.

I always have them do Stone pattersn 1-4 - the 2 most basic stickings in drumming - at 80bpm. This, once again, usually allows them to feel like they are playing "stuff".

I have them do single paradiddles first. We start REAL slow, and I have them slowly build up tempo. I always model it first, going from slow to as fast as I can go, which creates a bit of a "wow" factor (not because I am a god drummer, but just because I am older). This motivates them to do it.

In the theory/reading time I either go over some theory stuff based on their level of knowledge, and also assign a piece to play that sort of sums up everything we are doing. (This is usually after about a month of basic stuff in lessons).

As far as books and materials go, I use all of the standard drum corps type warm-ups to begin with. I always have them get Stone Stick Control. I use either The Rudimental Cookbook, or Just Deserts - which I think is more friendly towards younger kids - for soloistic stuff. I reference Matt SAvages Rudimental Workshop as well as the Rudinmetal Logic book by Bachman. Garwood Whaleys "Fundamentals in Rhythms" is an awesome book of short basic rhythmic pieces to use, and then I follow up with Thom Hannums Check PAtterns book as they get older.

Have her bring a 3-ring binder with paper in it, and write down what you want her to do in lessons every week. That way, you both have a running tie line of what is happening. It will help you both remember what you are doing. I also have them put about 20 of those plastic page protectors in to hold all music and handouts they get.
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

Its' All about the Parking Lot - Watterson Drumline
www.bishopwattersondrumline.webs.com
OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans

NGPercussion Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:18 pm

One thing: PLAN. If you don't go in to every lesson (or personal practice session) with goals you want to achieve, then you likely aren't being a good teacher by that alone. I did this with my first student, thinking I could remember everything I was going to say and teach, and there were several times when I wasted the kid's time because I didn't have my stuff in line. Not good.
Percussioning since 2003.