discuss whatever it is that instructors discuss

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

rufusthethird Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Bass Potential

Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:25 pm

Hello. :)
Recently Ive been trying to teach a few drumming newcomers the art of playing bass drum. Today we played through a velocity stroke exercise, introduced eight-on-a-hand, played part of a sixteenth note timing exercise (the one found on here), and played an eighth note subdivision exercise. I also explained (or started to, at least) explain the concept of doubles threes and fours. They picked it all up quite quickly, and by the end of the hour the eighth note subdivision was dead-on. Like, that special kind of unison that doesn't just sound loud, it pops with cleanliness. What I would like to know is, am I on the right track, should i introduce any other concepts, and how do I make sure they maintain this learning curve?

dgaking Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re: Bass Potential

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:09 am

It sounds like the only thing you might be missing is multiple heights. Dynamic control and musicality are key to a good bass line. I wouldn't push them beyond all this stuff if they are new. I would let them be really successful at the basics for a season before throwing anything too crazy at them.

rufusthethird Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:37 pm

They are handling rhythms pretty well, and Ive told them to play everything piano or mezzopiano right now to avoid habits of playing too loud.

Ive got another hopeful, but the issue is she doesn't read music. The thing is, I don't really know where to start. Im an extremely good reader ( i can handle some Rhythm of Conscience stuff) and the problem is Im not sure how to return to the basics without boring her. How should I go about this?

Buranri Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:59 pm

1. 2. 3. 4. 1+2+3+4+. 1e+a2e+a3e+a4e+a. 1-trip-let 2-trip-let 3-trip-let 4-trip-let. Keep it simple.
Spokane Thunder
Cascades
Matrix

Facebook