Help for COMPLETELY new instructor.

discuss whatever it is that instructors discuss

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

TeaWrecks Offline
noob
noob

Help for COMPLETELY new instructor.

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:45 pm

So, I'm gonna be section leader for my 4A Oklahoman HS drumline next year, and I need help. I've already taught everyone (who is eligible to try out for snare, that is) snarescience technique. But I'll also be helping run auditions and I need to know technique for tenors, bass, and crash cymbals. Can someone recommend some free articles or videos? Also, what do I look for in auditions, besides technique? What do I make them play? I'm thinking just eight on a hand.

Not only that, but how do I deal with and teach people that have never played an instrument in their life? I can't kick them off the line. My director doesn't know or care about percussion. We have no PI. I can't afford lessons for all four instruments. My band--percussion included--has always SUCKED, and I'm looking to turn that around. I think the main reason (of course there are several others, most barely less severe) is apathy; how do I motivate people that are barely younger than me, my age, or sometimes older than me? How do I discipline?

If you need to know more about ANYTHING, by all means, ask. Also, sorry for not indenting my paragraphs. I'm at a friends and his tab button doesn't work.

Jetpoweredface Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Re: Help for COMPLETELY new instructor.

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:03 pm

Buy Bill Bachmans Quad Logic and Rudimental Logic books. There's a bunch of technique and exercise things on youtube if you look for them. Don't use exercises that are too difficult or involved, use stock exercises (Eights, Double Triple, Duple Triple rolls) and make sure rhythmic interpretation is spot on before moving onto more difficult things.
Notre Dame Indoor (PIA) 2011-2012 Quads
Legends Drum Corps 2012 Quads
Legends Drum Corps 2013 Snare

TeaWrecks Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:13 pm

I googled it, and all of his logic books are $15. I literally don't have that much to spend. I need to spend that on sticks and gas. I would really appreciate specific videos (with links) for free, if someone is willing to spend the time hunting down people on YouTube that actually know what they're talking about. As far as what sort of technique I want, I want as close to DCI as possible. I'm trying to prepare the ones that want to audition for corps while simultaneously win caption awards.

Buranri Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:05 pm

TeaWrecks wrote:I googled it, and all of his logic books are $15. I literally don't have that much to spend. I need to spend that on sticks and gas. I would really appreciate specific videos (with links) for free, if someone is willing to spend the time hunting down people on YouTube that actually know what they're talking about. As far as what sort of technique I want, I want as close to DCI as possible. I'm trying to prepare the ones that want to audition for corps while simultaneously win caption awards.
"DCI" technique doesn't mean anything. You'll see dozens of different techniques in corps, and probably more in indoor. There are a few common ideas, but the details are different.
Spokane Thunder
Cascades
Matrix

Facebook

sxetnrdrmr Offline

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:30 pm

TeaWrecks wrote:I googled it, and all of his logic books are $15. I literally don't have that much to spend. I need to spend that on sticks and gas. I would really appreciate specific videos (with links) for free, if someone is willing to spend the time hunting down people on YouTube that actually know what they're talking about. As far as what sort of technique I want, I want as close to DCI as possible. I'm trying to prepare the ones that want to audition for corps while simultaneously win caption awards.
the biggest thing you need to do is realize that the change you are looking for is going to take a while...it will not be instant. For this coming season make some larger over all goals. The three most important would be:
1. getting rid of the apathy
2. getting the group to play well together
3. defining group goals of success NOT related to winning trophies

- expose them to higher level playing, and tell them why you are doing it. Don't give them the choice to not take part. When I first turned my group around, I lied, and told them that a DCI clinic that was in town was required as part of their band grade. I got the usual rolling of the eyes and litany of excuses. But, everyone went, and the floodgates opened. All of the sudden there was instant motivation. 20 years later, I am glad I lied a bit..DON'T say, "I expect you all to play like this". Say, "Isn't that pretty cool? We could be like that if we would just practice some more" or "This is what motivates me. What motivates you?" Show them videos of DCI/WGI stuff. Sometimes they need to see a "bigger picture"
- make sure that they are always getting positive feedback about things...even bad things. Not meaning that you should sugar caot and *beep*-foot around mistakes, but even the worst tick can be approached from a positive light.
- give them theri own personal responsibilities to the line...both musically and logisticaly. They are probably apathetic because they don't feel any investment in the group.
- work with other members of the staff to NOT make the typical jokes and slams about drummers; a lot of times the adult directors do their own damage to the program by having a negative attitude towards the drummers. This will make people not want to be there, and then the same directors will whine about why no one wants to do band

2. getting the group to play together
- DCI level playing comes from years of honing individual technique. You can get a drumline to successfully play together, at a high level, in one season. The key is how you pace things. Start by having them play the way you play. You define the technique. Explain to them how you play...the mechanics of motion; how you identify dynamic heights; pinch/finger pressure and usage. Drumlines play clean together becasue they are all doing the same thing together.

Use very simple exercises with the group to do this. There are tons of examples...free examples...on this site as well as elsewhere. 8 on a hand, a simple 2-height exercise, simple doubles and a timing exercise are the most important ones. They SHOULD NOT be or sound like DCI level stuff. They need to be playable enough for the group to have some amount if instant success (which will help with the apathy element as well. Sounding good is the best way to motivate a group), but should also sound cool. Not too long, so that they can be easily memorized, and eyes and ears can get out of the music and onto the hands. They need to be simple enough that the players can identify and correct technique problems as they play.

Write a cadence or some beats for the stands that sound cool, and incorporate some basic technique stuff. Grooves written off of rock songs work really well. These will also get otehr people to have a positive image of the group, which will make the people in the group want to be there. Remember that you need to be thinking of group success...not throwing down of chops and "stuff" within the beats. This will come later.

Always play with a metronome going. Dr. Beat. Especially in the beginning. there is NO group at this level who can learn to play together w/o the met going at first. Spend money on a good met, and possibly a sound system to run it thru. I would buy this before anything else.

- you must not base group success on something you have no control over. Another humans perception of what is right and wrong is a pretty shaky foundation to build a program on.
- realize that trophies are a byproduct of solid fundamentals and practice etiquite, not the other way around; winning is a good reward for solid responsibility, but should not define it
- group success should be defined by making "steps up"; if you were in last place, but played the show better than last week, that is success; if people stop to watch you in the lot, you win;

ok... there is way more and it is late so I am losing focus. PM me if you want for more detailed things. I was once where you were, so i know a lot about the process of change. If you are smart, and pace things right, it can be very easy to turn things around.
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

Its' All about the Parking Lot - Watterson Drumline
www.bishopwattersondrumline.webs.com
OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans

ConorD Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:46 pm

sxetnrdrmr wrote:
the biggest thing you need to do is realize that the change you are looking for is going to take a while...it will not be instant. For this coming season make some larger over all goals. The three most important would be:

- expose them to higher level playing, and tell them why you are doing it. Don't give them the choice to not take part. When I first turned my group around, I lied, and told them that a DCI clinic that was in town was required as part of their band grade. I got the usual rolling of the eyes and litany of excuses. But, everyone went, and the floodgates opened. All of the sudden there was instant motivation. 20 years later, I am glad I lied a bit..DON'T say, "I expect you all to play like this". Say, "Isn't that pretty cool? We could be like that if we would just practice some more" or "This is what motivates me. What motivates you?" Show them videos of DCI/WGI stuff. Sometimes they need to see a "bigger picture"
- make sure that they are always getting positive feedback about things...even bad things. Not meaning that you should sugar caot and *beep*-foot around mistakes, but even the worst tick can be approached from a positive light.
- give them theri own personal responsibilities to the line...both musically and logisticaly. They are probably apathetic because they don't feel any investment in the group.
- work with other members of the staff to NOT make the typical jokes and slams about drummers; a lot of times the adult directors do their own damage to the program by having a negative attitude towards the drummers. This will make people not want to be there, and then the same directors will whine about why no one wants to do band

- DCI level playing comes from years of honing individual technique. You can get a drumline to successfully play together, at a high level, in one season. The key is how you pace things. Start by having them play the way you play. You define the technique. Explain to them how you play...the mechanics of motion; how you identify dynamic heights; pinch/finger pressure and usage. Drumlines play clean together becasue they are all doing the same thing together.

Use very simple exercises with the group to do this. There are tons of examples...free examples...on this site as well as elsewhere. 8 on a hand, a simple 2-height exercise, simple doubles and a timing exercise are the most important ones. They SHOULD NOT be or sound like DCI level stuff. They need to be playable enough for the group to have some amount if instant success (which will help with the apathy element as well. Sounding good is the best way to motivate a group), but should also sound cool. Not too long, so that they can be easily memorized, and eyes and ears can get out of the music and onto the hands. They need to be simple enough that the players can identify and correct technique problems as they play.

Write a cadence or some beats for the stands that sound cool, and incorporate some basic technique stuff. Grooves written off of rock songs work really well. These will also get otehr people to have a positive image of the group, which will make the people in the group want to be there. Remember that you need to be thinking of group success...not throwing down of chops and "stuff" within the beats. This will come later.

Always play with a metronome going. Dr. Beat. Especially in the beginning. there is NO group at this level who can learn to play together w/o the met going at first. Spend money on a good met, and possibly a sound system to run it thru. I would buy this before anything else.

- you must not base group success on something you have no control over. Another humans perception of what is right and wrong is a pretty shaky foundation to build a program on.
- realize that trophies are a byproduct of solid fundamentals and practice etiquite, not the other way around; winning is a good reward for solid responsibility, but should not define it
- group success should be defined by making "steps up"; if you were in last place, but played the show better than last week, that is success; if people stop to watch you in the lot, you win;

ok... there is way more and it is late so I am losing focus. PM me if you want for more detailed things. I was once where you were, so i know a lot about the process of change. If you are smart, and pace things right, it can be very easy to turn things around.
/snarescience

GsuazBass15 Offline
noob
noob

Re:

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:35 pm

Sorry this is a little late but here is a website with a bunch of basic things.
http://www.vicfirth.com/education/percu ... rching.php

It comes with a bunch of basic exercises and explains why they are used. Also explains maintenance, tuning, and ways to teach.
As to motivating kids I totally agree that showing DCI vids and going to lots (even better is going to all day rehearsals while everyone is on tour) is a great way to start getting kids more into what they are doing.

Finally getting to the respect part. It is going to be hard getting respect from people your own age, especially being on the line. Best way is to have a Battery Tech to help keep things in order. I teach at a school in Oklahoma and have plenty of friends looking to get into teching. Message me if you have any other questions.

Best of luck this season!
2010-2012
3rd Bass
Resistance Indoor Percussion

Kaitou Offline

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:57 pm

ConorD wrote:
sxetnrdrmr wrote:

/snarescience
sxetnrdrmr..you are seriously incredibly helpful. I always love your responses in these threads and am compiling a doc of them all to hand out to anyone with instructing questions haha

Check out audition packets for tenor, bass, and cymbal technique..most corps or indoor packets actually do a really good job of breaking the grips and motions down.
TA67 wrote:She walked over to me and said "I formally request that you turn my body into a playground of lust and wonder, o burly man." To which I agreed. I laid her down on the desk, and well...we both got As for the entire semester as a result.
ImageImage

Resistance Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Re:

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:04 pm

Check your PM Inbox. There are some materials that I'm sure you will find very useful.
James Doyle, Director
Resistance Indoor Percussion