Savage Rudimental Workshop

discuss whatever it is that instructors discuss

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

jodycoln Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Savage Rudimental Workshop

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:48 pm

Are any of you instructors out there using the the Savage Rudimental Workshop book? I saw a bit of it online, and it looks really good. I'm older, and not very good, but this book looks like it's good for beginners and people dusting off their chops. I have Jeff Queens book, but frankly, I think it's a bit over my head. I would appreciate anyone's feedback on this.

sxetnrdrmr Offline

Re: Savage Rudimental Workshop

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:56 pm

jodycoln wrote:Are any of you instructors out there using the the Savage Rudimental Workshop book? I saw a bit of it online, and it looks really good. I'm older, and not very good, but this book looks like it's good for beginners and people dusting off their chops. I have Jeff Queens book, but frankly, I think it's a bit over my head. I would appreciate anyone's feedback on this.
I have been using that book since it came out. The exercises are really good, but the information in the front of the book has been the most valuble to me over the years. The exercises require the students to be really good subdividers. I use a combination of this book, Bachmans Rudimental Logic, and Wootens Drummers Rudimmental Reference book...
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

Its' All about the Parking Lot - Watterson Drumline
www.bishopwattersondrumline.webs.com
OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans

jodycoln Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:38 am

sxetnrdrmr wrote:
jodycoln wrote:Are any of you instructors out there using the the Savage Rudimental Workshop book? I saw a bit of it online, and it looks really good. I'm older, and not very good, but this book looks like it's good for beginners and people dusting off their chops. I have Jeff Queens book, but frankly, I think it's a bit over my head. I would appreciate anyone's feedback on this.
I have been using that book since it came out. The exercises are really good, but the information in the front of the book has been the most valuble to me over the years. The exercises require the students to be really good subdividers. I use a combination of this book, Bachmans Rudimental Logic, and Wootens Drummers Rudimmental Reference book...
Sounds like it would be wise just to pick up all three and take what I need from each of the books. I saw a clip of video from Wooten's Dr. Throwdown book, and it looked like a lot of fun. The met gets old sometimes, so playing with some music might make things a little less stale, if that makes sense. Thanks for your input. Spot on as usual.

jodycoln Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:52 pm

sxetnrdrmr wrote:
One last thing. How are the CD's that come with the Savage book?

sxetnrdrmr Offline

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:44 pm

jodycoln wrote:
sxetnrdrmr wrote:
I never needed the CD's, but I think that younger kids would really dig playing along to them...I just prefer the met, or nothing at all...I don't use them in my lessons, but have the kids do them on their own if they want.
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

Its' All about the Parking Lot - Watterson Drumline
www.bishopwattersondrumline.webs.com
OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans

jodycoln Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:12 am

sxetnrdrmr wrote:
jodycoln wrote:
sxetnrdrmr wrote:
I never needed the CD's, but I think that younger kids would really dig playing along to them...I just prefer the met, or nothing at all...I don't use them in my lessons, but have the kids do them on their own if they want.
Thanks for the info. The met gets old to me sometimes, and frankly drives my wife crazy. Maybe if she heard some type of music, perhaps I could drum somewhere else in my house besides the closet underneath the stairs! I'll give the CD's a go, and let you know if my wife lets me drum all throughout the house. Take care.