MFA Drum Instructors Academy

discuss whatever it is that instructors discuss

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

dgaking Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

MFA Drum Instructors Academy

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:59 pm

It's the week of June 25th. I really want to go this summer. I'm trying to figure out where I'll get the $500. I hope the school can cover it, but our band department budget is tight. If they can't swing it, I may have to go beg on the street. Is anyone else planning to go this summer?

http://www.musicforall.org/what-we-do/s ... or-academy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, I am wondering if I will get much out of it if I have to leave at 5PM almost every day to go run evening marching band rehearsals. If you've been to the DIA before, let me know what you think.

sxetnrdrmr Offline

Re: MFA Drum Instructors Academy

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:10 pm

I have been to this every year since it's inception...they call me the "Charter Member". It is definitely worth the money (and in your back yard now at Ball State)....I am going this year, and bringing students to do the Marching Percussion track. If you do decide to go, and want a room mate let me know. I usually end up by myself. But you might even be commuting...let me know.

We do have one session after dinner - 6:30-7:30, and then the evening concerts. It is still worth it though.
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

Its' All about the Parking Lot - Watterson Drumline
www.bishopwattersondrumline.webs.com
OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans

dgaking Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:34 pm

I would usually miss the 6:30 session, but I might be able to have my tech cover for me if I really want to be at one of them. I would commute to save cash, although I might crash on somebody's couch in Muncie since I live an hour away. My concern is having time to decompress, think about what went on in the sessions, and possibly fix stuff in the MCHS show for each evening's rehearsals. It would certainly be a laborious week.

sxetnrdrmr Offline

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:01 pm

the whole week can be overwhelming with information. you would definitely have to pace yourself as to what to implement. I have been going 16 years in a row, and still learn new stuff every time...it is a great way to network. There are social events after the evening concerts where you rub elbows with industry big wigs and other direectors....and get free food. Vic Firth does a beer and brats thing on the Thursday nights usually which is cool.
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

Its' All about the Parking Lot - Watterson Drumline
www.bishopwattersondrumline.webs.com
OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans